• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Board games you own and would recommend

chromeraven

First Post
I was beaten to the punch on Betrayal at House on the Hill. After a move, it's the only game I still have, and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Rakor said:
Hey Merric, I like your taste and advice, Twilight Struggle is at the top of my list of things to get.

Thanks. :) I've played a lot of boardgames in the last 2-3 years.

I enjoy Twilight Imperium, although it's one of several big games I own, so it doesn't hit the table so much. :(

Cheers!

deadplayer

Banned
Banned
I will not add my own list of games here, that's way too long. I'm just going to go with what people have not mentioned that I'd suggest:

Kingsburg - lots of fun development game. It's a nice balance between an Ameritrash (lots of dice rolling) and Euro (you use the dice rolled to allocate to advisors to get their favours to build your city). Mid-level strategy game.

Louis XIV - brain. hurt. Very intense brain burner Euro with just the right amount of luck and extreme strategy. Plays in an hour or so, but no more than a few games at a time can be played.

Through the Ages - if you like Civ, you'll love this. Such a good civilisation building game.

Gloom - more fun than anything else; it's a card game with a few little neat tricks but nothing spectacular. Nice and amusing on Halloween though.

Coloretto - so, so fun. Card driven game, short and can play fast and highly tactical with some strategy. Very easy to learn.

San Juan - Puerto Rico done with cards pretty much. Strategies are slightly different and set-up time is much shorter.

Descent - probably my favourite RPG / co-op dungeon crawler board game. Highly amusing, but much better with the Well of Darkness and Road to Legend (campaign) expansion.

Order of the Stick - you'll need to adjust the game slightly to make it replayable (too long for what it is) but still fun. Definitely more for the fans though.

I could go on but I'll stop now.

Good reviews. Thank u,

johnsemlak

First Post
Surprised Battlelore! hasn't been mentioned before now. Love this game. I own the game and all the expansions but unfortunately the expansions have dried up lately.

I like Descent but it's replayablity to me seems a bit weak, it seemed to get repetitive, though it might be worth trying the expansions.

I'll definitely agree wiht those who support Bang! Great game. The expansions might be avialable in stores in product called 'Bang the BUllet', and Bullet shaped cone that contains the main game and all three expansions.

Also love Twilight Imperium.

A fun game once and awhile is Cash and Guns. Plays real fast. It's a great moment when you look up and all the other players are pointing a gun at you.

My wife and I have played the Settlers of Catan card game several times.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Surprised Battlelore! hasn't been mentioned before now. Love this game. I own the game and all the expansions but unfortunately the expansions have dried up lately.

Yeah. I enjoy BattleLore, although I don't play it that often. I thought it began weakly, but improved greatly once they released the medieval lore rules. Both the Hundred Years War and the Scottish Wars expansions are fantastic.

Cheers!

Gundark

Explorer
Gotta agree on Arkham Horror being a great game. The co-op aspect is a lot of fun and while we've probably played 20+ games, I've never had one go the same way twice. I'm also a fan of the fact that it's difficult to win at (even more so with the various expansion packs).

Arkam horror is a fun game and we play it and have several of the expansions. However I will say that the game's big flaw is that it doesn't ajust well to increased number of players. 1-3 players will find it extremely hard, 4-5 will be about just right, 6+ will rule the game. It can be played up to 8 players.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Arkam horror is a fun game and we play it and have several of the expansions. However I will say that the game's big flaw is that it doesn't ajust well to increased number of players. 1-3 players will find it extremely hard, 4-5 will be about just right, 6+ will rule the game. It can be played up to 8 players.

You scale it by adding expansions. :)

Cheers!

Remove ads