• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Lost Spells On Sale Now

It's out? Cool! And now I'm *really* nervous! :) Cheers!

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Just purchased the hardcover (along with Fifth edition foes). Both look great, really bring to mind old 1e books. The B&W art is absolutely old skool awesome. My only wish is that the pdf could be hyperlinked, it would be cool to jump from table of contents to actual monster/spell with a bit more ease. Looking forward to having the hardcovers though

Nebulous

Legend
Is it possible someone could upload a picture of one of the pages maybe a sample cantrip so we could see this stat block?

Xk8voOc.jpg

Asatru009

Explorer
Why did WotC mess around with the spell format? It would have been faster to find the information you need about the spell if they had not removed important information, rather than having to read the entire spell description every time until you memorize what you need. The "old" way is more efficient when looking up the spells. I really think that there should be a standard spell format with all the spell information.

illwizard

First Post
Yeah, I'm browsing through it. The spellblocks are a big improvement, I like them. I can tell that most of the book I'll never use. Which is fine, I'll be able to pick some things with players to sprinkle in for flavor. In that regard I'm really, really glad to have the pdf, I just don't need the hardback, it would just sit on the shelf and not really get used much.

Why do you think you'll never use most of the book if you don't mind me asking? I'm wondering because I'm considering buying the book myself.:)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why did WotC mess around with the spell format? It would have been faster to find the information you need about the spell if they had not removed important information, rather than having to read the entire spell description every time until you memorize what you need. The "old" way is more efficient when looking up the spells. I really think that there should be a standard spell format with all the spell information.

This isn't WotC; it's Necromancer Games.

Formats fall under "trade dress" which is a type of intellectual property. Generally speaking, it's better to use your own formats/trade dress when making compatible products to avoid infringement.

Nebulous

Legend
Why do you think you'll never use most of the book if you don't mind me asking? I'm wondering because I'm considering buying the book myself.:)

Oh, well two reasons, I don't run high level campaigns so anything 6th level or higher probably won't get touched. And many of the spells are just simplistic, they don't really have as weird and whacky effects as i would like. For the most part they seem safe bets, doing some thunder damage or fire damage in a different way.

Like this one, it's definitely useful, but boring

Bone Armor
3rd-level conjuration
Cleric
Components: V, S, M (holy symbol)
Casting Time: 1 action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None
You strengthen the bones of a willing creature you touch. The creature
gains resistance against bludgeoning damage for the duration of the spell.

Shadow Demon

Explorer
This isn't WotC; it's Necromancer Games.

Formats fall under "trade dress" which is a type of intellectual property. Generally speaking, it's better to use your own formats/trade dress when making compatible products to avoid infringement.

I think the poster is saying why is WOTC's format so uninformative compared to the Necromancer one. He wasn't clear but I believe he was speaking to the lack of helpful info in WOTC's spell format. WOTC had an excellent format under 3e that could have been tweaked under 5e and just decided not to use it.

Nebulous

Legend
I think the poster is saying why is WOTC's format so uninformative compared to the Necromancer one. He wasn't clear but I believe he was speaking to the lack of helpful info in WOTC's spell format. WOTC had an excellent format under 3e that could have been tweaked under 5e and just decided not to use it.

Oh, I misunderstood his post too. He was commenting on the core spellblocks, not the Necromancer ones.

Zaran

Adventurer
Oh, well two reasons, I don't run high level campaigns so anything 6th level or higher probably won't get touched. And many of the spells are just simplistic, they don't really have as weird and whacky effects as i would like. For the most part they seem safe bets, doing some thunder damage or fire damage in a different way.

Like this one, it's definitely useful, but boring

Bone Armor
3rd-level conjuration
Cleric
Components: V, S, M (holy symbol)
Casting Time: 1 action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None
You strengthen the bones of a willing creature you touch. The creature
gains resistance against bludgeoning damage for the duration of the spell.

I'd have to say that 3rd level seems a bit high for being only resistant to Bashing damage and also a concentration. If the caster put it on their self and took 8 damage. they take 4 and still have to make a Concentration check. Really hate the Concentration mechanic but that's a problem with the spell system as a whole.

Remove ads

Remove ads