Book of Vile Darkness. Used it?

arwink

Clockwork Golem
I mostly use it to pad out the spell and equipment lists for people who come from a very specific part of the campaign world, and it works to reinforce the "Demon-worshipping madmen" motiff that I wanted for them.

Only now is the game getting to the point where I can use the prestige classes, but they're coming up as well.

Olive

Explorer
S'mon said:
Re the demon princes and arch-devils, aren't many of them weaker than the 3.5 balor & pit fiend?

Haven't done a proper comparison, but I just make the prices etc. divine rank 1, and that makes them tougher...

Bulak

First Post
I've used a coupe of monsters from the book.

S'mon said:
Re the demon princes and arch-devils, aren't many of them weaker than the 3.5 balor & pit fiend?
Well, some of them are weaker than the minions of an other. You have Demogorgon, ruler of the 88th layer of the Abyss, who has twelve CR 27 Marilith blackguards as minions.
Then there's Graz'zt, who is (according to the book) 'One of the most powerful demons in all the Abyss'. He rules three layers. His butt can be kicked by any of Demogorgon's twelve Mariliths, since he's only CR 24...

Dirigible

Explorer
Sure I've used it. THere are some really cool spells in there and we'vew gotten use out of a lot of them. The players had the reaction that I was expecting; it was a little gross at times but never over te top.

'Never over the top'? I haven;t fully read the BoVD, but going by the stuff in Dragon 300...

Searing Seed? I had to go scrub my eyes with steel wool and swarfega after that.

hong

WotC's bitch
Bran Blackbyrd said:
We use it all the time now. It's added a whole new layer of erotic wonder to the game. Now every session is a symphony of pleasu....

Ah yes, the NIPPLE CLAMPS OF EXQUISITE PAIN!

Oh. I thought you meant the BoEF.
No we don't use the Book of Vile Darkness, that $%!+ is perverted.

You say that like it's a negative thing.

Tsyr

Explorer
Clumsy Bob said:
Hi, in the near future I will be starting a new campaign. I am interested in using some content from the BOVD.
Have you used any? and if so do mind sharing you opinions and players reactions.

cheers

Bob

I used one of the domains for a spirit I had as a shaman one time... That's about it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
For those who enjoy playing in the Forgotten Realms... If you are someone who is concerned about how the Red Wizards are getting the XP to crank out all those magic items for sale, read the Book of Vile Darkness, and smile wickedly...

:)

AFGNCAAP

First Post
The domains are useful for evil deities--don't have to give them all the Destruciton domain or Death domain for negative aspects anymore. However, it's a great book for spawning ideas, esp. if you want to add a touch of horror to the games.

For example, I'm working on an adventure where the PCs begin investigating a missing persons case, but discover something much more horrid. Something roughly along the lines of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (minus the chainsaw). The Sawyer clan (or the Hewitt clan, apparently according to the remake), will be a bunch of mongrelfolk. As for Leatherface, I was thinking of making him a rogue/barbarian (for the sneak attacks & raging; may through in some fighter levels for feats & weapon specialization), with an enchanted mask (fear effects or along those lines), feats that boost up critical ranges & damage for his favored weapons (warhammer for sneak attacks & greatsword for slaughter), and at least the vile & impact/keen enchantments on said weapons (respectively) to boost up the damage potential (may throw in the evil enchantment, as well). He's supposed to be the toughest & most horrifying member of the bunch, though the other clan members will have their own twist, as well.

I hope it works at spooking the players (intended as a Halloween-time module/adventure), but also at showing them just how bad evil characters can be.

Remove ads