• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Vile Darkness. Used it?

Olive

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
I've thought about integrating some BoVD, CoC d20 and the Green Ronin Book of Fiends material into a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying-esque game. I think the material it has is actually pretty good.
This is a great idea! Hmmmmm... it would really need a nasty combat rule set too. Something with good crit hits.

Storminator

First Post
I play a priest of Bane in a campaign, and the whole campaign revolves around that book. I have Dark Speech, I sacrifice regularly (often calling outsiders), and we've used a ton of spells and a few of the drugs.

Evil spells apparently are just more powerful! :D I love Power Leech (Power Leech --> Dominate, Power Leech --> Forbiddance, Power Leech --> Harm...), and our necromancer is addicted to Grim Revenge. The necromancer also holds the record for innocent bystanders killed, when he did the Dance of Ruin in a crowded city street. Commoners scythed down like wheat.

QAnd my wife has one of the PrCs, the one with Lie, Cheat, and Steal as class abilities. ;)

PS

Decado

First Post
I have used it and really liked it. One of my players, who plays an elven mage, fell victim to a Stop Heart spell. He survived the encounter but his party lost a minor artifact they were gaurding. The spells are probably my favorite part of the book. I also like the idea of cabals, demons since Orcus is a focus in my campaign, and some of the prestige classes, which I have a BEEG designed around. Good book IMHO and I do not see what all the negative fuss was about.

Decado

Last edited:

I did not for what it's worth, like most of the illustrations of the demon lords and archdevils, though. That was pretty disappointing. Here's a real picture of Orcus I found online somewhere once...

Attachments

• orcus.jpg
    orcus.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 247

Pants

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
I did not for what it's worth, like most of the illustrations of the demon lords and archdevils, though. That was pretty disappointing. Here's a real picture of Orcus I found online somewhere once...
I found the picture in the ToH quite a bit better actually
*shrugs* That's just me though

I didn't particularly like that one either. That's why this picture is so vital to me (if I ever use Orcus in a campaign, that is, which is unlikely. ;))

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I just used Grim Revenge on the party fighter -- hee hee.

"What do you mean my hand just came off? Huh?"

I'm very fond of grotesque spells. I mean, it's magic, it oughta be freaky and crazy and messed up. Is what I think.

Panthanas

Explorer
The group I play with had the pleasure of fighting a particularly mean cancer mage. Oh it was fun. Especially the part when my characters head was removed. Good times had by all.

-Panthanas

Aeolius

Adventurer
There's an evil aquatic deity in there...of course I've used it ;)

The info on hiveminds was also of use...as was the concept of liquid pain...and, and...heck. lot's of tidbits, in there.

Agamon

Adventurer
No, not much. A couple spells for an evil cleric of the god of death, but that's about it. I do have an NPC in my M&M game who has a power that is addictive to those she uses it on, and I'll probably use the chapter on drugs to get some insight on how to do that game-mechanic-wise.

Remove ads