• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Vile Darkness. Used it?

Pants

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
That makes sense. I'm not the type to get up in arms because I've been "dissed" by WotC or anything like that, but that change just seemed pretty needless, IMO. If the "change" was actually an error that somehow crept through uncaught by the editors, then it makes a little more sense.
I believe he said that he thought it said 'mandril or baboon' heads, but hyena snuck in there. I don't know how you can mistake hyena for baboon, but then again, I've typed out some really weird stuff before as well (often ommitting whole words from sentences). Then again, maybe he just got done writing up Yeenoghu when he did Demo :p

Gez

First Post
Not being an old-timer, I kinda like the hyena heads. Gives the gnolls someone more interesting than Yeenoghu to worship... Insane schizo furry hyenas, what's not to like?

I used it mainly for world-building (like Deities & Demigods, and Manual of the Planes, and even Oriental Adventures), but I've also used bar-lgura. Dark Speech? Yum. Vile damage? Yoink.

Besides, in a campaign where I play, we just found the Rod of Orcus.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
So far I've used most of the curses and some of the spells. The evil halflings have found a place in my world as have the vile humans presented in the book. Most of the archfiends and major demons are used. The group is now tracking a cult worshipping Asmodeus right now. I plan on adding some of the PrC's (off limits to my PC's of course) in the near future.

Kane

Psion

Adventurer
Mystery Man said:
Yuck.

IMHO.

You did see the one in BoVD, right? Put it in perspective, here. I'm not exactly enamored by the minis handbook art, but it beats that "abstract expressionist" crap in the BoVD.

Mystery Man

First Post
Psion said:
You did see the one in BoVD, right? Put it in perspective, here. I'm not exactly enamored by the minis handbook art, but it beats that "abstract expressionist" crap in the BoVD.

Art is definitely subjective.

Of course my area of study in college was mainly abstract expressionism, focusing on the early 19th century American to present. :)

There was a good one in Dragon a little while back -- I think it was the issue (or within a few months of it) that the Death Knights template showed up in the LGJ portion of the rag. I mean mag. Sorry, sorry. ;)

reiella

Explorer
Psion said:

Sorry Psion, but I gots ta link this one :p

http://www.interplay.com/bg2throne/images/demowall.jpg

[ Edit : Added Topicality ]

BoVD has seen some use so far in my campaign, mostly in terms of some of the monsters and a few other oddities. Some of which my players aren't even aware of currently, nor do I think they will ever be (oh well :p).

Dragon 300 was alot worse than BoVD in terms of 'creepy gross out' factor.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads