• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Booming Blade and Blink

Caliban

Rules Monkey
My problem is that when you come back from the Ethereal plane with Blink, the spell doesn't specify if you moved or if you teleported you simply "return to an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within 10 feet of the space you vanished from." You don't walk or hop or run or crawl to that space. You simply chose to appear there.

Ask your DM.

Bardbarian

First Post
This ultimately comes down to your judgment. I personally would not trigger the boom if they return to the same place they left. if they return to any other space, I would apply the damage.

futrtrubl

Explorer
My problem is that when you come back from the Ethereal plane with Blink, the spell doesn't specify if you moved or if you teleported you simply "return to an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within 10 feet of the space you vanished from." You don't walk or hop or run or crawl to that space. You simply chose to appear there.

Exactly, you have used no movement speed.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I would think booming blade ends when you blink out of this plane of existance. The range is 5 feet. Not pan dimensional 5 feet. It is a cantrip.

Harzel

Adventurer
I would rule
- Blinking to the ethereal plane does not trigger the boom
- Coming back does not trigger the boom no matter where you choose to come back because it does not use any of your movement. However, this will rarely matter since, except in unusual circumstances, Booming Blade will have expired before you blink back in.
- Blinking to the ethereal plane does not end the boom effect. Once the effect has been established, range does not matter anymore.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
But Blink does not say that the character "moves" after they go Ethereal. You simply "return to an unoccupied space of your choice". Almost like a teleport, although it doesn't say teleport.

Right. But moving after all that would trigger booming blade, yes, if it were still somehow active?

Remove ads