• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boosting a caster-level check

Shaele

First Post
Is there any way of boosting a caster-level check?

My cleric has a number of spells that will allow him to improve someone's skill check (prayer, guidance-of-the-avatar). Does the skill-boost from these spells apply to a caster-level check also?

If not, is there any way that I can improve someone's chance of making a caster-level check?

mikebr99

Explorer
Shaele said:
Is there any way of boosting a caster-level check?
How about a necklace of prayer beads - bead of karma.
Shaele said:

My cleric has a number of spells that will allow him to improve someone's skill check (prayer, guidance-of-the-avatar). Does the skill-boost from these spells apply to a caster-level check also?
Not unless it says so... Magic usually only does what it says it does. YMMV... DM's have the final say though.
Shaele said:

If not, is there any way that I can improve someone's chance of making a caster-level check?
The bead of Karma.

Krafen

First Post
Note that the Bead of Karma only works for Divine casters.

The spell Create Enchanted Tattoo in the FRCS increases your caster level by 1 at higher levels. It's an arcane spell, though.

The Heirophant from the FRCS can choose Spell Power as a special ability. Spell Power adds to both save DCs and caster level checks.

mikebr99

Explorer
Krafen said:
Note that the Bead of Karma only works for Divine casters.

The spell Create Enchanted Tattoo in the FRCS increases your caster level by 1 at higher levels. It's an arcane spell, though.

The Heirophant from the FRCS can choose Spell Power as a special ability. Spell Power adds to both save DCs and caster level checks.
The Archmage in FRCS has a similar class power... 3 actually: +1 spell power, +2 spell power, and +3 spell power. And you can have all 3 after 3 levels of Archmage.

Shaele

First Post
Thanks for the replies. In this case, my mid-level cleric wanted to boost someone else's caster-level check (to decrease the wizard's odds of flubbing a check while reading a high-level scroll). These are great suggestions, but they're all self-effecting, which won't help.

I guess we'll just take our chances with the die roll :D

Thanks.
Shaele

Thanee

First Post
Just let the rogue do it! :D

Maxed out Use Magic Device, then craft or buy an item, that adds a decent bonus to UMD and also cast Wieldskill on the rogue.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Krafen said:

Does that apply to caster level checks?

I think it only applies to spell effects... but I might be wrong!

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads