• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Boots of Striding and Springing.......kinda lame

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I'm now picturing a scenario where a character in these boots wants to leap a 10 foot gap, but he's far enough from it that when he reaches the gap and begins his leap, he's only got 5 feet of speed left. That would make for a hilarious story for the players to tell afterwards:

Okay, so I was playing this character with magic boots that let him leap like a kangaroo. I was leaping over ogres, crossing wide rivers in a single bound. But then one day, I'm leaping a crack in the floor as I'm charging a balrog. I run to the gap, jump, and get maybe 5 feet across the hole and I . . . I just fall like the boots have turned to concrete, like they're the One Ring abandoning Gollum. So I fall down that bottomless pit in Khazad-dum, screaming "my precioussssss" all the way down.

I hear you, but to describe it another way, you were running too fast, lost your balance and fell.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Perhaps but it just seems very hard to me to square that up with what, for instance, JC says

So just to ask, at your table my optimized jumping character might try to end every turn mid-jump, making him too high off the ground to be targeted by melee attacks. I guess perhaps you wouldn't like that, what would be your response?

a) I've already stated that I wouldn't let your "jump optimized" character stack all those jump bonuses.
b) if any of those bonuses come from the boots, your jump can't extend beyond end of your turn due to magic boot limitations.

jaelis

a) I've already stated that I wouldn't let your "jump optimized" character stack all those jump bonuses.
b) if any of those bonuses come from the boots, your jump can't extend beyond end of your turn due to magic boot limitations.

So you wouldn't let jump items stack at all? Monk under a jump spell gets no (jumping) benefit from using SotW?

Even so, with just the spell, a thief with 20 Str and 20 Dex could high jump 39 ft. Just a Str 20 character can jump 24 ft. Either puts you out of range of many melee attackers.

jaelis

But that's not as funny.

Or least it doesn't express the player's frustration that the item he was counting on failed him.
Well if you use an item wrong, I don't think you should say it failed you. If your character had slowed down a bit to time his jump properly, he would have been fine.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
So you wouldn't let jump items stack at all? Monk under a jump spell gets no (jumping) benefit from using SotW?
You seem to have a reading comprehension issue. I don't feel like repeating things I've already stated.

Even so, with just the spell, a thief with 20 Str and 20 Dex could high jump 39 ft. Just a Str 20 character can jump 24 ft. Either puts you out of range of many melee attackers.

I'll let you know if it ever actually comes up in play. Since my players aren't asshats, it hasn't been a problem so far.

Satyrn

First Post
Well if you use an item wrong, I don't think you should say it failed you. If your character had slowed down a bit to time his jump properly, he would have been fine.

But then he wouldn't have the funny story to tell. He'd get across the gap and kill the balrog. So humdrum. :p

jaelis

I'll let you know if it ever actually comes up in play. Since my players aren't asshats, it hasn't been a problem so far.
OK so your answer is probably, if someone tried to do that you'd ask them not to.

You seem to have a reading comprehension issue. I don't feel like repeating things I've already stated.
Well earlier you suggested that the boots + SotW would stack to give a 6x jump, which is more than I would get if I let everything stack my way. It seemed like you were contradicting yourself, I was confused.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
OK so your answer is probably, if someone tried to do that you'd ask them not to.

So now you think your psychic? Interesting.

Well earlier you suggested that the boots + SotW would stack to give a 6x jump, which is more than I would get if I let everything stack my way. It seemed like you were contradicting yourself, I was confused.

No, it's less than what you said:
Slap a jump spell on there for 18x, and we're really talking :)

Your idea of "discussing" seems to consist of telling me what I'm going to do or say. Since I find this rather annoying, I'm really not inclined to give detailed responses. Feels like a waste of time.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads