D&D 5E Boots of Striding and Springing.......kinda lame

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Slap a jump spell on there for 18x, and we're really talking :)

Level 18 wood elf monk speed 70 ft so a move of 210 ft with double dash (via Step of the Wind). Still needs a 10 ft run up, so a 200 foot jump. That would just require Str 12. His high jump is 72 ft. :)

jaelis

The boots already give you the effects of the Jump spell, I wouldn't all the spell itself to give any further benefit. If I was the DM, anyway. :p

You figure the benefit is the same because the multiplier is the same? So if the boots gave 4x, you'd let them stack with the spell? Or is is that you just figure multiple magical boosts to jump distance shouldn't stack?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
You figure the benefit is the same because the multiplier is the same? So if the boots gave 4x, you'd let them stack with the spell? Or is is that you just figure multiple magical boosts to jump distance shouldn't stack?

If I'm the DM, I wouldn't allow it. If I was a player I'd argue against allowing it. If I'm not part of your game, then it doesn't matter what I'd do.

jaelis

Sure but I'm interested in understanding your reasoning for letting the boots stack with SotW stack, but not with the jump spell. I'm not trying to judge either way, play it how you like. But understanding how other people think about things is nice.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Slap a jump spell on there for 18x, and we're really talking :)

Level 18 wood elf monk speed 70 ft so a move of 210 ft with double dash (via Step of the Wind). Still needs a 10 ft run up, so a 200 foot jump. That would just require Str 12. His high jump is 72 ft. :)
Doesn't an 18th-level wood elf monk have a base walking speed of 65 feet?

Assuming he moves 10 feet on foot immediately before he makes a long jump...
  • He can cover 12 ft. at base.
  • He can cover 24 ft. if he uses Step of the Wind.
  • He can cover 60 ft. if he uses Step of the Wind with Boots of Striding and Springing.
  • He can cover 96 ft. if he uses Step of the Wind with Boots of Striding and Springing along with the jump spell.

Assuming he moves 10 feet on foot immediately before he makes a high jump...
  • He can clear 4 ft. at base.
  • He can clear 8 ft. if he uses Step of the Wind.
  • He can clear 20 ft. if he uses Step of the Wind with Boots of Striding and Springing.
  • He can clear 32 ft. if he uses Step of the Wind with Boots of Striding and Springing along with the jump spell.

Yeah?

:confused:

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
The boots already give you the effects of the Jump spell, I wouldn't all the spell itself to give any further benefit. If I was the DM, anyway. :p
Because the combined effects seems egregious, or because the effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine and that feels appropriate in this instance?

jaelis

Doesn't an 18th-level wood elf monk have a base walking speed of 65 feet?
Yep, was thinking that elf got +10 ft, but of course that's wrong. :(

Assuming he moves 10 feet on foot immediately before he makes a long jump...
  • He can cover 12 ft. at base.
  • He can cover 24 ft. if he uses Step of the Wind.
  • He can cover 60 ft. if he uses Step of the Wind with Boots of Striding and Springing.
  • He can cover 96 ft. if he uses Step of the Wind with Boots of Striding and Springing along with the jump spell.
Well, that depends how you stack the item effects. I'd probably play as you suggest: SotW + boots = 5x; SotW + boots + spell = 8x. Actually I'd probably be even less generous, and say SoTW gives you and increase of +1x, the boots and spell both give increases of +2x, for a net increase of +5x. So at a base of 12, you'd jump 6*12 = 72 ft all combined.

But by the book I guess you would just continue to multiply, so SotW + boots + spell would be 2*3*3 = 18x. So for a base of 12 ft. you'd be at 216 ft.

Remove ads