• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Boots of Striding and Springing.......kinda lame

pemerton

Legend
It depends what you mean. I feel it's pretty clear how the sage would play it. If you want to argue that doesn't necessarily shed light on the RAW, that's OK with me.
So it's not that you fall or hang in midair. Your jump distance is simply capped by your speed.
But if your jump distance is capped by your speed, and you are halfway across a chasm, then you will fall - won't you?

Regarding the question of the run up:

JeremyCrawford said:
20 Strength running long jump: up to 20 ft. With jump spell: up to 60 ft. with a speed of 30 ft. and Dash.
If he did his math right, this implies that you can indeed perform the run-up on the previous turn.
[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], doesn't this put some pressure on your view that the runup can't be immediate if it was in the previous turn? (Which is not to deny the force of your considerations (a) through (h) upthread.)

CapnZapp

Legend
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]:
If he did his math right, this implies that you can indeed perform the run-up on the previous turn.
I didn't respond to this at the time, but to me, it seems more likely JC simply forgot to deduct the run-up distance.

In everyday talk you could say "a 60 ft jump" when you really mean "running 10 ft to clear a 50 ft chasm".

What we would call that is: a 50 ft jump.

#dangersofdiscussingrulesovertwitter

CapnZapp

Legend
But if your jump distance is capped by your speed, and you are halfway across a chasm, then you will fall - won't you?
That is exactly what I tried to pry out of him, but as I said - I admire Jaelis answer-avoidance skills ;)

(More seriously, until the Sage brings up exactly this topic, I would say that no, he has not "clearly" discussed the issue. What happens after you've run out of speed during a jump is simply never explicitly detailed. You or I might argue it's obvious; but until it's actually described it will not convince posters that allow cross-turn jumps)

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], doesn't this put some pressure on your view that the runup can't be immediate if it was in the previous turn? (Which is not to deny the force of your considerations (a) through (h) upthread.)
Thanks.
I think I'm of the same view as [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] :

to me, it seems more likely JC simply forgot to deduct the run-up distance.

In everyday talk you could say "a 60 ft jump" when you really mean "running 10 ft to clear a 50 ft chasm".

What we would call that is: a 50 ft jump.

#dangersofdiscussingrulesovertwitter
Assuming it's not a typo or a thinko (which would be easy enough; the follow-up tweet a few minutes later was not answered, which suggests this answer did not help the one who asked), then he is either allowing the run-up or the carry-over.

I mentioned the carry-over in my first contribution in post 17, and I think that's the more likely of the two -- but a "5" for a "6" would be an even more understandable error.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
My recommendation to every DM reading this thread would be to bear in mind that the rule books are pretty poorly written when it comes to basically anything outside of the most straightforward combat.

Given that, I doubt it makes sense to anybody that someone with a strength of 20 will become able to jump only 5 feet if they take a longer-than-necessary run up.

It has certainly improved my game to assume that someone who is mid-way through a jump will 'hang' and continue the jump on their next turn.

On the topic of the boots: triple jump distance is great. The ability to wear plate armor with a strength of 10 is great. If you're using variant encumbrance, they basically double your unencumbered capacity.

devincutler

Explorer
If you use the more realistic variant encumbrance rules from the PHB, then these boots are awesome. I use the variant rule and my PCs would kill for these boots. It is much easier to be slowed down by encumbrance and being able to move at 30 feet is a big boost.

schnee

First Post
So, instead of making someone over-powered, they negate drawbacks to bring a character on par with everyone else.

Seems like a great item for some character concepts. I know a few tanks that would love them.

CapnZapp

Legend
So... if you rewrite the rules, or use variant rules, or use them to shore up unoptimized builds, then the boots doesn't suck as bad.

Got it.

Remove ads