• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bothered About Disposable Dragons (B.A.D.D.) Membership Drive

Don21584

First Post
Would a Paladin and/or a LG Monk feel the need to kill a young adult Emerald dragon that was unknown to the land because it's been asleep?

Our group came upon it, and it landed in the middle of the road, and wanted information about the land in its "domain." Well, the one character that lived around there gave some good information for him, as well as another character, but it wanted more, as in material possessions. We all rolled sense motive, and the Paladin BOTCHED, and drew his sword. The wizard COMMANDED him to put his sword away, and the Cleric added in a loud NOW, so he did. The dragon looked the Paladin right in the eye and said he wanted a little more from him. The Paladin thought for awhile, then handed the dragon his amulet, (which later revealed to be an amulet that added +6 to Con, so he just lost 20 permanent HP), and the dragon said that it would definitely do. The wizard, who was a chosen of (I forget which deity), handed the dragon his communication scroll, which was just like a telephone to contact his deity. So the dragon said we should go quickly, before he changes his mind.
Well, the next day, the group, minus the DM, was talking about wanting to get to the dragon and kill it. After some good (heh) thinking by me, I figured we could have the Wiz cast Locate Object on his scroll, and we could find its lair, and dispose of it....

Comments/opinions? Oh, and this was the first dragon I've ever come across in any campaign I've played with in the group.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I humbly suggest we follow Wolfspider's suggestion,

...and second I suggest that we move it over to the DM Stuff Forums (perhaps under Plots?) if no one wants to take over a website idea.

Quickbeam

Explorer
I love the concept of B.A.D.D. Wolfspider, but I must admit one prior transgression during my tenure as a DM. I was trying to introduce a new NPC and I used the party's confrontation with a young dragon as the story hook. The NPC was a half-dragon paladin, hellbent on eliminating evil dragons from the realm, and creating a new image of dragonkind as wise, good and respected. The party and NPC essentially met in the dragon's lair where they'd all come to test their mettle.

*sigh*

I let them defeat the dragon by intentionally not employing all of the scaly fellow's best tactics consistently during the battle (though it was still pretty harrowing). I have learned my lesson, and am now reformed in my handling of draconic encounters...*raises right hand and places left hand on DMG* DM's honor!!

Wolfspider

Explorer
*places a scaled hand on Quickbeam's head*

It is alright, my son. We have all fallen short of the glory that is a properly run dragon.

You are absolved.

:D

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I recently ran my new group through Sunless Citadel. For the sake of possible spoilers, I will leave some spaces.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

My group ended up battling the kobold tribe after a failed Q & A session with Yusdrayl, the queen. They barely survived, but Meepo took a mortal blow to the head by a sniper's bolt. After resting a couple of days, they cleaned out the rat lairs and killed their bloated queen, then braved the unknown chambers and traps of the Dragonpriest, unintensionally freeing the quasit Jot. Again they barely survived.

After another couple days of rest (and leveling up) the came back out to the main chamber only to be ambushed by the goblin chief, his shamen, a few goblins and hobgoblins, all of whom were led by Jot the quasit (invisible) and Calcryx the white wyrmling. The quasit was so grateful to the PC's for his freedom that he decided he should deprive them of theirs. As soon as the door opened into the room, the dragon unloaded his icy breath! The players were completely unprepared for this ambush and the proceded to shake in their boots when they saw what awaited them. At any rate, this battle lasted about 15 rounds. It was great fun. The dragon and the chief died last, but so did one the players. Jot escaped again to the lower level. withdrawing with an evil cackle. They learned to hate this quasit by the end of the adventure. They fought him 4 times before the final battle, and managed to get him along with Belak and his minions (including a drow archer I threw in just for fun). I don't know which one they enjoyed defeating more, Belak or Jot.

Needless to say, they had also learned a valuable lesson with the white dragon. It was tough and merciless. When I told them that it was the weakest kind of dragon age-wise, they almost sh** themselves. I am looking forward to running Nightscale. Should only be a couple sessions away.

Any thoughts on how I ran these encounters? Oh, and I will join B.A.D.D. as well. :D

My FAvourite Dragon Moment

The first dragon my party had the misfortune of encountering killed 2 party members destoryed the gear of others and caused every suvivor to flee in every direction :)

The adventure initally appeared to be a simple dragon hunt (although a first for my players). One large red dragon had been dispoling the country side stealing several cargos of valubles from a important caravan route. Party was offered a heathly reward for the return of the gear and any other loot.

So they porceeded to the town and meet the mayor - an ex-adventurer - who offers to guide them to the lair. However the dragon had actually killed the mayor and polymorphed himself into a copy using alter/change self to complete the disguse.

He then guided the party to the mountain and *discovered* a side entrance. Just as the party found this the dragon appeared to fly out of the main entrance (illusion)

To cut a long story short the party eventually got to the lair and, finding it unocciped set about looting. Everyone turned there back on the mayor (dragon).

The dragon then gutted the wizard, reducing him to -7, before anyone knew what was happening (Surprise). He then breathed, nearly killed the cleric and seriously injurying the ranger (flat-footed). The barbarian raged and charged only to have the dragon fly up and then slam him before biting and breathing on him, killing him as he had no support (a few rounds fighting) However, the barbarian had badly injured the dragon who was not up to more fighting. Fourtantly for the dragon at this point the cleric was cowering behind a pile of money healing himself while the ranger had run away after noting the wizard must have been killed. When the barbarian died the cleric ran away (leaving some ioun stones he had lent to the barbarian with his corpse). Subsequent to this jaunt the dragon reloacted to a secondary base of operations, before the adventurers or locals could re-group. The adventures did return with reinforcements, losing some to traps, to find only a large pile of copper coins, and nothing else.

Can I join B.A.D.D now ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads