Branding's Age of Worms, the 4th Generation

Still in the hallway before the face

Before anyone steps through the open, genderless face, Owen carefully checks it for any new surprises (OOC: Taking 20 on Search check). Despite his best efforts he comes up with nothing. Either there is no trap here or it is disguised beyond the young adventurer's ability to detect.

While he is thus occupied, Majakilar peers through the opening, a torch held out before him. He studies the various geometric patterns on the left and right walls, at least those he can see from his somewhat limited vantage point still outside of the room. The patterns are mostly hexagonal in shape, but Majakilar also spots rectangles, triangles, circles, parallelograms, and rhombuses. Nothing about the frequency or placement of these shapes suggest anything unusual, although the miner doesn't find them particularly compelling artistically (OOC: Int check).

Voadam

Legend
Gregor waits for Owen to give him the all-clear then steps inside. The beam and odd ball pit make him nervous but he'd rather take the risks with the unknown than have his friends do so.

Thanee

First Post
Alexi

Alexi watches the process with suspicion. This weird face has been the cause of much worry to them before. But they were past the trap and Owen knows a bit about traps, so much for sure, so she was reasonably calm, or at least appeared so.

As Gregor finally dares the first step through the opening, Alexi holds her breath in anticipation, her eyes following every slight movement.

silentspace

First Post
After prodding and poking the iron spheres a bit, Majakilar stretches his leg out and steps gingerly with his toe on the petrified wood. "Ahh... so this is petrified wood, eh? It's like wood but made out of stone you say?" He makes a small jump, seeing how sturdy it is. Satisfied, he jumps a little higher. "So it's basically like a stone bridge I guess. Hmm... Actually, come to think of it, maybe next time we come across a stone bridge, we can have Azten take a look at it first hmm? I mean BEFORE we step on it, not like this time." Majakilar makes another hop. "Nothing better than a dwarf to check out stonework. Except maybe a miner. I'm a miner, of course, and Gregor too, but we never really focused on the profession like Foreman Whines-a-lot wanted us to, eh Gregor?"

"This is a funny tunnel though.. " Majakilar reaches out with his glaive to see if he can reach the geometric patterns, and poke at them a bit. "I wonder what these all mean? I mean they're kind of ugly eh? They can't be there for the sake of beauty. Luckily we have Alexi to add a little beauty to these parts." Majakilar looks back and gives Alexi a wink.

Azten

First Post
Azten follows Alexi through the portal, listening to Majakilar's monologue.
Agreeing with his sentiments about the petrified wood, Azten pauses in his examination of the material long enough to wonder whether it is wood turned to stone, or stone carved so realistically to look like wood.

Voadam

Legend
silentspace said:
After prodding and poking the iron spheres a bit, Majakilar stretches his leg out and steps gingerly with his toe on the petrified wood. "Ahh... so this is petrified wood, eh? It's like wood but made out of stone you say?" He makes a small jump, seeing how sturdy it is. Satisfied, he jumps a little higher. "So it's basically like a stone bridge I guess. Hmm... Actually, come to think of it, maybe next time we come across a stone bridge, we can have Azten take a look at it first hmm? I mean BEFORE we step on it, not like this time." Majakilar makes another hop. "Nothing better than a dwarf to check out stonework. Except maybe a miner. I'm a miner, of course, and Gregor too, but we never really focused on the profession like Foreman Whines-a-lot wanted us to, eh Gregor?"

"Worrying about the cave-ins crashing down on everybody was . . . distracting. But hauling rocks doesn't require a lot of focus anyway."

I mean they're kind of ugly eh? They can't be there for the sake of beauty. Luckily we have Alexi to add a little beauty to these parts." Majakilar looks back and gives Alexi a wink.

Gregor's head whips around to look at Alexi's reaction but then he sheepishly looks down and away looking a little uncomfortable.

When is wood not wood?

After a bit of poking at the surface of the iron balls, which begins about five feet below the bridge, Majakilar can't seem to find a "floor" surface underneath. He guesses that one could probably walk on the balls, but that one would have to be careful not to loose one's footing. Having to pay that much attention would probably slow one down quite a bit as well.

Azten studies the structure of the bridge. He guesses that this is actual petrified wood, not stone carved to resemble it. Although creating "fake" petrified wood is technically possible, he guesses that it would probably involve magic. The process of fossilization in wood, called permineralization, creates colorful striations that would be impossible to duplicate by mundane means. Judging by the telltale woodworking marks on the bridge, it was probably carved out of wood and fossilized here in place.

Lost in conversation with his companions, Majakilar crosses the bridge a bit more than the others. As he approaches the center of the beam there is a sudden popping sound from all around. Three iron balls, identical to the ones below are fired from hidden holes in the walls to the left and right, targeting Majakilar and Azten. One misses Azten by a mile, but the second hits him directly in the side of his helmeted head. He looses his balance and topples off the beam, crashing hard into the iron balls below. The third hits Majakilar in the chest, causing him to almost loose his balance. Luckily he is able to steady himself with his hand at the last minute and does not join Azten below. (OOC: Azten Ref save 14, failure; Azten takes 3 hp of damage from the fall; Majakilar Ref save 15 + 2 = 17, success!)

OOC#1: The reason that Owen did not detect this trap is that the mechanism for it is hidden in the walls, and is too far away. One would have to lower oneself down to the "ground" and walk over to the walls to find them.

OOC#2: Although we are not in combat rounds (technically no one is attacking you) time is of the essence. If Majakilar doesn't get off that bridge he will be targeted again. Just wanted to make that clear.

Azten

First Post
Azten shakes his head, both in disbelief and to clear away the stars clouding his vision. Fool dwarf - too busy admiring the petrified wood to see the Iron ball that knocked me over he thinks to himself.

Doing his best to navigate through the iron balls to Owen and Gregor on the other side of the room, he keeps an eye on those still on the walkway.

Remove ads