• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bring Back Modrons

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
However, the concept of beings of perfect order that are just as alien as Far Realms creatures is a cool one. For the last 15 or so years, I have used some modron-like creatures that are crystalline in structure, but don't have arms, legs, heads, or discernable anatomy. .

I did something similar. Crystalline shapes/planes of force that floated around (no eyes, no legs etc.) crackling with energy.

The idea you have of "the more of them there are the smarter" could lead to interesting adaptations for mine...thanks.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I did something similar.

When I created the Axiomites (Pathfinder/Golarion's LN outsiders), I went with a notion of creatures of living mathematics, each of them composed of a swarm of shifting, evolving numbers and equations (like a cloud of crystalline nanites), adopting a humanoid form most of the time, but capable of dissociating into that more abstract form when moving, injured, etc.

Obviously the Modrons were out as potential LN exemplars (sadly), but in coming up with something new, I was heavily influenced by Tony DiTerlizzi's illustration of the Moignos from 2e Planescape (a living equation obsessed with transcendental numbers).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
When I created the Axiomites (Pathfinder/Golarion's LN outsiders), I went with a notion of creatures of living mathematics, each of them composed of a swarm of shifting, evolving numbers and equations (like a cloud of crystalline nanites), adopting a humanoid form most of the time, but capable of dissociating into that more abstract form when moving, injured, etc.

Obviously the Modrons were out as potential LN exemplars (sadly), but in coming up with something new, I was heavily influenced by Tony DiTerlizzi's illustration of the Moignos from 2e Planescape (a living equation obsessed with transcendental numbers).

This I like also. See Modrons have a place, we can just flavor them a bit like we do with goblins or gnolls.

Kunimatyu

First Post
So if Modrons aren't supposed to be life-threatening monsters....why are people interested in getting monster stats for them, exactly?

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
So if Modrons aren't supposed to be life-threatening monsters....why are people interested in getting monster stats for them, exactly?

I'm not really getting your line of reasoning.

We should only make stats for creatures that are life-threatening monsters?

Do other, non-life threatening monsters not exist then? Because without stats, modron don't exist.

Derren

Hero
Isn't that the same line of thinking that got us Lawful Good Unaligned Gold Dragons?

Yes, and that is one of the reasons why there won't be 4E Modrons (at least in the traditional sense).

In 4E, when you don't kill it it is not needed.

The other reason is that "Lawful Neutral" doesn't exist any more. If you want to be extremely lawful you automatically also have to be good. (And as I said above, good monsters are not needed).

Remove ads