Bring Back Modrons

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yes, and that is one of the reasons why there won't be 4E Modrons (at least in the traditional sense).

In 4E, when you don't kill it it is not needed.

The other reason is that "Lawful Neutral" doesn't exist any more. If you want to be extremely lawful you automatically also have to be good. (And as I said above, good monsters are not needed).

I have many creatures that are extremely lawful that are not good. They can be Unaligned, with a strict moral code...just like so many people tell us (not speciffically you) to do if we want an old alignment.

I still use the Wind Dukes of Aqua (sp) for instance.

Jhaelen

First Post
We should only make stats for creatures that are life-threatening monsters?
Because that's the only case when you need stats.
If they never pose a threat, why have stats? All you need then is a set of personality traits and skills.

Depending on the way you want to use them, they might also get beneficial powers similar to companions or even magic items (think: Figurines of Wondrous Power).

Stoat

Adventurer
I suggest that stats are useful for when monsters join the PC's as allies and for when monsters battle other monsters in the presence of the PC's.

In general terms, however, a monster that isn't going to be appear in combat does not need combat stats. It might need skill modifiers, ability scores or similar however.

On topic. I like modrons but have never had much chance to use them in my games. I'd like to see a 4E take on them.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Because that's the only case when you need stats.
If they never pose a threat, why have stats? All you need then is a set of personality traits and skills.

Because they may fight alongside the PCs as allies.

Because there are situations where even non-evil beings come into brutal combat, even good beings can and will fight. Some of the worst holy wars are between good people with mutually exclusive ideologies.

Because someone may want to play one as a non-standard PC.

Because you may have neutral or evil PCs and there's no real reason to say, 'whoops, no sir, you can't fight that thing, it's good and therefore has no stats because it is good. And hey! You're supposed to be a hero and heroes can't be evil! This game doesn't support your playstyle!'

Because not providing stats purely on the basis on alignment and presumed, game-rules enforced playstyle is a needless restriction upon DMs and players alike.

underthumb

First Post
The modrons do not always work at purposes that are understood to PCs, and they cannot necessarily be reasoned with. As such, it is definitely possible to end up in an altercation with modrons. The Great Modron March provides many such possibilities.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
4e Modrons will probably be branded by Hasbro

bobpatbash.jpg

B-)

TylerDurden

Explorer
Wow

I didn't realize that so many people other than myself missed Modrons!

I did not see the previous thread about them from last year...all I can say is let the powers that be know they are loved.

In the meantime I am going to restat to 4e the modrons from Dragon 254.

Remove ads