• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buffy RPG - A Hellmouth in Waterloo [Closed]

Cor Azer

First Post
Me too. I feel like I "cheated" taking a skill point in both armed and unarmed combat, but hey, he's a rough 'n tumble kinda Irish.

Oh, one thing I forgot - even though Rory doesn't have an Occult Library and thus no spells yet, the Sorcery quality also gives him a magical telekinesis ability (like the Wlliow floating a pencil thing). I don't have the rulebook with me, so I can't recall what you need to roll, but just telling you it's there.

Edit: Telekinesis is rolled at d10 + Willpower + Sorcery; each success level is the STRength of the tk effect. Fine manipulation may require a Perception + Dexterity roll. For every turn beyond the first using it at a time, a cumulative -2 is added to the roll, until at least 3 hours rest.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Optionally, a kind-hearted GM might allow a PC to start with (level of Occultism) spells to start... ;) Not that I need any, but I did have a few in mind, stolen right from d20 Modern:

[sblock=Magic ID]Illusion Level: Arcane 0; Components: V, S, F; Casting Time: Attack action; Range: Touch; Effect: Illusory identification card; Duration: See description; Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with); Spell Resistance: No

With this glamer, you make a small card or slip of paper appear to be a valid identification card of your choosing. The card bears your name, likeness, and all other data expected by anyone examining such a card. However, it is only visually accurate and does not contain any valid machine-readable data or electronic coding. You cannot use this spell to make an electronic passkey. The illusion lasts only as long as you touch the card, to a maximum of 5 rounds.

Focus:
A small card or slip of paper.[/sblock][sblock=Haywire]Transmutation
Level: Arcane 0, Divine 0
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: Attack action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One object of up to 100 lb./level
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)
The haywire spell causes a single device to behave randomly and erratically, defying any attempts to bring it under control.

Cash registers display random prices and open their money drawers repeatedly. Escalators surge forward, then reverse themselves. Automatic teller machines flash random patrons’ account balances on the screen as they spew forth receipts (not money, though).

It’s impossible to describe the exact effects of haywire on every modern device. In general, a machine subject to haywire functions as if someone were pressing random buttons or otherwise manipulating it randomly.

Turning off a device subject to a haywire spell doesn’t work, because the spell disables the “off” switch. Cutting off the power supply (by unplugging it, for example) disables the device 1d4 rounds later, ending the spell.

Material Component: A small magnet.[/sblock]... and the traditional Faerie Fire, 'cuz, you know, Fae.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
BTW one of the reasons I made Dafydd such a computer whiz was so that I could have the superscience option available to him as he gains experience. I figured such an approach would be something generally frowned upon by the Watcher's Council, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to start with the ability. But once he's out in the "real world" with his Slayer he'd have the opportunity to start developing that side.

Cor Azer

First Post
[MENTION=183]Acmite[/MENTION]: I like the idea of Tamas, and realize you're probably going to add some more explicit background, but I wanted to check - did you intend for Sorcery and superscience, or just Sorcery, or just superscience? 'Cause supersciency goodness is from the Superscientist quality, rather than Sorcery.

Not saying you can't have both, 'cause Tamas will probably go in a different direction than Rory, but just wanted to be sure.

Cor Azer

First Post
Kind-hearted? You don't know me very well do you? I may give you want you want, but there's always a price. Well... technically, it's a gift with purchase, but some hair's ain't worth splitting. Of course, you may not yet know what the gift/price is yet...

[sblock=Biblus Fallicis]Biblus Fallicis
Power Level: 1 (0 (no people affected) + 0 (minor effect) - 1 (personal range) + 0 (short incantation) - 1 (short duration); min 1)
Quick Cast: Yes
Requirements: a blank card, sheet of paper, or some such; a passing familiarity with item to be cloned; a small inkpot; a short incantation, although witches and warlocks need only whisper "fallicis".
Description: With this glamour, the spellcaster can make an ordinary card or sheet of paper resemble another for a short period of time - one minute per success level. Useful for temporary press passes, drivers' licenses, or passing a suitor a false number. The image is only illusory; even if visible, no magnetic or electronic components are present.[/sblock]

[sblock=Haywire]Haywire
Power Level: 1 (0 (no people affected) + 0 (minor effect) + 0 (short range) + 0 (short incantation) - 1 (short duration); min 1)
Requirements: a small magnet wrapped with copper wire, and a several repetitions of the phrase, "I call for thee, gremlins; I call for thee" in latin. Witches and warlocks only need to say "Scorpiarius".
Description: This spell causes one mechanical or electronic object up to 100lbs per success level to go haywire, with random flashes, erratic noises, and unexpected movements. Actual behavior is dependent on the object affected, but is always unpredictable. This lasts for one minute per success level, or until the power is cut to the object (if applicable).[/sblock]

[sblock=Faerie Fire]Faerie Fire
Power Level: 1 (2 (up to 1 person per success level) + 0 (minor effect) + 0 (short range) + 0 (short incantation) - 1 (short duration); min 1)
Requirements: a sprig of mistletoe and a twist of red hair, a short incantation or (if a witch or warlock) the phrase "Solas na tíre cothrom".
Description: This spell creates illusory purple, orange, and green wisps of fire that swirl around and light up up to 1 person or object per success level. It does not burn, but negates any benefits of invisibility or shadow when hiding (ye old empty barrel still helps though). The light is about as bright as a candle, but is distinctive enough that it is visible for several hundred feet (but no, doesn't light up that whole area).[/sblock]

So... the question is... do I let Rory start with all three spells? Seems a bit of a gimme, but you don't really have access to any occult books to easily get more. I'll say you can have 2 of the 3 (your choice); and if the third is ever needed, you can try to find it through some research at a later time.

This just occurred to me due to the "magic ID" card spell - for those outside Canada who might not know, legal age for drinking is 19 in most Canadian provinces, so most of you won't need false IDs to get into bars (unless you don't want people to know who you are).

Herobizkit

Adventurer
That's cool! Thanks! I'd like to start with Biblus Fallicis and Haywire, I think. I'll work up to Faerie Fire (it's the least subtle of the three).

Acmite

First Post
[MENTION=183]Acmite[/MENTION]: I like the idea of Tamas, and realize you're probably going to add some more explicit background, but I wanted to check - did you intend for Sorcery and superscience, or just Sorcery, or just superscience? 'Cause supersciency goodness is from the Superscientist quality, rather than Sorcery.

Not saying you can't have both, 'cause Tamas will probably go in a different direction than Rory, but just wanted to be sure.

I didn't see the Superscientist quality! Where is that found?

The sorcery is more background than anything. If I could have taken a 2 or 3 point Sorcery, I would have. I want him to move more towards a superscience bent, with techno-wizardry flavouring.

Cor Azer

First Post
I didn't see the Superscientist quality! Where is that found?

The sorcery is more background than anything. If I could have taken a 2 or 3 point Sorcery, I would have. I want him to move more towards a superscience bent, with techno-wizardry flavouring.

It's from The Magic Box supplement, partnered with Enchanter. I wrote a quick blurb about it in an earlier post with a ton of other qualities.

If you just want a dabbling of sorcery, just stick with a few levels of Occultism; Sorcery itself is more for those who actual explore (willingly or no) their magic mojo.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads