Buffy RPG - A Hellmouth in Waterloo [Closed]

Cor Azer

First Post
Sorry. I got swamped and totally missed the IC thread. Shall I still work on my Actor, or I'm out?

You're certainly still welcome to play; I'll work your character and Acmite's into the IC thread (or you can do so yourself) once your characters are done up in the RG thread (note, they don't have to be completely finalized; some tweaking will be allowed once some more of the system is under your belt)

Jemal

Adventurer
I see that the game says closed, but WD just bowed out. I don't have access to the rules ATM, but if it's mostly cinematic it probably wouldn't be hard to get an assist on the creation, and I would love to join in if you'll have me.

Wouldn't mind trying a geek/survivalist who found out it's all real and decided to 'get in the game'. Kind of a cross between Wesley and Gunn.

Crossing my fingers as I like cinematic stuff, and am a hardcore Whedonite.

(Wish somebody'd run some WoD on here too...)

Cor Azer

First Post
I see that the game says closed, but WD just bowed out. I don't have access to the rules ATM, but if it's mostly cinematic it probably wouldn't be hard to get an assist on the creation, and I would love to join in if you'll have me.

Wouldn't mind trying a geek/survivalist who found out it's all real and decided to 'get in the game'. Kind of a cross between Wesley and Gunn.

Crossing my fingers as I like cinematic stuff, and am a hardcore Whedonite.

(Wish somebody'd run some WoD on here too...)

I could probably handle another player.

Character creation not that hard no; I believe there are several links and posts back in the thread.

Jemal

Adventurer
So I'm working up my character, Jason Williams. He's a 22 year old Geek/Survivor/Hunter.
He's got combat-relative skills, but much of his training is either circumstantial or incomplete, so he fits as a white-hat, albeit a bit more 'capable' than the average person. He'll have better mental skills than physical, and will be useful for research situations. I picture his role as very similar to late-Angel Wesley (Intelligent, dark type with troubled past, not unfamiliar with fighting)
[sblock=First Draft Background]
Jason Williams was born in small-town Saskatchewan in 1979, to a pair of second generation farmers. He never fit in at their small farm-town school, he was a loner, a gamer, a geek. The only school activity he ever really partook of was Track and Field, placing well in long-distance running and the hundred metre dash all through high school. During his senior year, he finally worked up the courage to tell his only real friend, Amanda, of his feelings for her, and was relieved and elated when she responded in kind.

He moved to Saskatoon with his new sweetheart Amanda to attend the University of Saskatchewan, beginning courses in Literature and Philosophy in the fall of 1997. While there, he and his girlfriend became involved with a group of fellow students Larping in their spare time. Over the next several months, their gaming kept getting darker and more 'realistic', until a cold winter evening in 1998, when it was revealed that one of their members had actually been using their Larping as a cover, and that they had been performing actual demonic rites, which culminated in the summoning of an ancient evil, who promptly began slaughtering the Larpers who had been brought to be his sacrifice. Everyone was brutally slain, including Jason's girlfriend and the misguided young man who had orchestrated the summoning, with only Jason managing to escape.

Scared half out of his mind, Jason fled, knowing there was no way he could report this to the police - they'd never believe him, just lock him up and blame it on another gamer-gone-medieval. He hid out for a few days, not knowing if the demon would find him first or the police. The demon never showed up, but the police did end up blaming him for the murders, the papers calling the scene a 'horrible massacre by an unhinged psycopath.' Jason tried contacting his parents, tried explaining, but even they didn't believe him, just begging him to turn himself in and 'get help'.

Eventually, he realized that his 'normal' life was over. He couldn't go on knowing that stuff like that was REAL, was actually out there. Even if he could relocate, he'd never be able to be a normal person again. He searched everywhere for information, trying to find someone that might be able to explain, and after a few months(Mid 1999), finally found someone who did, an ex-watcher named Michelle. The woman took Jason under her wing, introducing him to her crew of demon-hunters, training and teaching him. The two quickly grew close as they hunted vampires and demons together, and their mentor-student bond gave way to their love as they searched for The Demon.

Unfortunately, they found it. The thing was a True Demon, not the shadow of it's real power that most demons were who walked the Earth, and it easily bested them, taking its time toying with the crew as it slowly and methodically killed each one, until only Jason and Michelle were left. The vicious beast recognized the love between them, and took great pleasure in slowly ripping it away from Jason, but that was ultimately his salvation. The beast took too long disposing of them, and Michelle was able to, with her last bit of energy, weave a spell that bound the demons powers. Jason was able to escape with her, but her wounds were too severe for medical aid, and she passed later that night.

Since then, Jason has been obsessively tracking the beast as it seeks to regain its full power, to which end both have come to Waterloo, and it's hellmouth.[/sblock]

As far as connections to other players go, it's possible that his mentor/lover, the ex-watcher Michelle, told him about the Waterloo Watcher, and he would go to Dafydd upon arrival, looking for information. Alternately, he could randomly meet up with one or more of the players in a demon brawl while he's out trying to demon-hunt solo (And probably having a difficult time of it).
A third option is that he enrolled at the University under a fake name while he searches for the demon, though that's my least favoured option, as Jason would be far less likely to care about schooling. More likely that he'd get a job to sustain himself while he hunts after The Demon.

Much of his backstory revolves around a specific, powerful Demon. I just called it 'the demon' b/c I felt I'd leave it open for you to use however you see fit, as whatever kind of demon you wish (Be it plot relevant or not, though I definitely think it could be a major player around the hellmouth if you feel like including it).

[sblock=Qualities/Drawbacks]
Adversary: (3D?) Someone wants to hurt you. The Demon
Obsession: (2D)Go to almost any length in pursuit of The Demon
Secret: Wanted for murder of fellow Students/Gamers (2D)
Honorable:Serious(2D) Don't betray anyone, always keep your word.
Tragic Love(4D): Has lost 2 lovers so far to The Demon... is this a trend?

Fast Reaction Time (2Q) - +5 to Initiative (usually just a Dexterity roll), and +1 to Willpower to resist fear
Hard to Kill LVL 3 (3Q) - Add 9 to Life Points and +3 to Survival Tests.
Nerves of Steel (3Q) - Unflappable. Immune to non-supernatural fear. +4 bonus to Willpower rolls versus supernatural fear.
Occult Investigator (4Q) - PI of the supernatural. +1 to two different mental attributes, +2 Occultism, +1 bonus on fear tests, but must make a Willpower (doubled) roll to stop from invesitgating "wierd" stuff.

I'd also like a quality to represent his training with the Ex-watcher and demon-hunting crew, would Using the 'watcher' ability be OK?
Watcher Trained: *Same as Watcher* (5Q) - +1 to any physical Attribute (human max 6), +2 Getting Medieval, +2 to any rolls learning about demons
[/sblock]

First off, Yes he has more than 10 points in Drawbacks - I realize I don't gain more than 10 points for it, I hadn't even intended to take a full 10, but I just started writing down the ones that made sense, and it ended up being a lot.

Second, If my math's correct, and the 'watcher-trained' quality is OK by you, my extra drawbacks above the qualities I've taken give me 3 extra points for skills, correct?

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
So I'm working up my character, Jason Williams. He's a 22 year old Geek/Survivor/Hunter.
He's got combat-relative skills, but much of his training is either circumstantial or incomplete, so he fits as a white-hat, albeit a bit more 'capable' than the average person. He'll have better mental skills than physical, and will be useful for research situations. I picture his role as very similar to late-Angel Wesley (Intelligent, dark type with troubled past, not unfamiliar with fighting)

[ ... snip ...]

Much of his backstory revolves around a specific, powerful Demon. I just called it 'the demon' b/c I felt I'd leave it open for you to use however you see fit, as whatever kind of demon you wish (Be it plot relevant or not, though I definitely think it could be a major player around the hellmouth if you feel like including it).

Adversary: (3D?) Someone wants to hurt you. The Demon
Obsession: (2D)Go to almost any length in pursuit of The Demon
Secret: Wanted for murder of fellow Students/Gamers (2D)
Honorable:Serious(2D) Don't betray anyone, always keep your word.
Tragic Love(4D): Has lost 2 lovers so far to The Demon... is this a trend?

Fast Reaction Time (2Q) - +5 to Initiative (usually just a Dexterity roll), and +1 to Willpower to resist fear
Hard to Kill LVL 3 (3Q) - Add 9 to Life Points and +3 to Survival Tests.
Nerves of Steel (3Q) - Unflappable. Immune to non-supernatural fear. +4 bonus to Willpower rolls versus supernatural fear.
Occult Investigator (4Q) - PI of the supernatural. +1 to two different mental attributes, +2 Occultism, +1 bonus on fear tests, but must make a Willpower (doubled) roll to stop from invesitgating "wierd" stuff.

I'd also like a quality to represent his training with the Ex-watcher and demon-hunting crew, would Using the 'watcher' ability be OK?
Watcher Trained: *Same as Watcher* (5Q) - +1 to any physical Attribute (human max 6), +2 Getting Medieval, +2 to any rolls learning about demons

First off, Yes he has more than 10 points in Drawbacks - I realize I don't gain more than 10 points for it, I hadn't even intended to take a full 10, but I just started writing down the ones that made sense, and it ended up being a lot.

Second, If my math's correct, and the 'watcher-trained' quality is OK by you, my extra drawbacks above the qualities I've taken give me 3 extra points for skills, correct?

The background sounds like it could certainly work; and The Demon could/probably will figure into the game eventually - pasted over another demon I was planning to use.

Yeah, the extra Drawbacks are fine for flavour, but you're getting a max of 10 points back in Qualities and/or Skills.

There is an ex-Watcher quality in the Angel core book that's nearly the same as Watcher, but some of the Drawbacks are swapped around.

Possibly more appropriate is the Demon Hunter quality: a regular Joe/Jane whose life has been thrashed by demons and has decided to dedicate their life to thrashing back. +1 to any 3 Attributes (up to human max of 6, no stacking); +1 to any 2 of Gun Fu, Getting Medieval, or Kung Fu; Adversary 1 (various minor demons); Mental Problem - Mild Delusion - all supernatural beings are evil: he could work with Gavin (half-demon) /Steven (werewolf)/Rory (half-fae), but might not fully trust them; Juno and Rechard are slightly better (unless he ever learns about the source of a Slayer's power, then Juno might bump into the first category), 'cause just using magic is ok; Dafydd wouldn't bother him. The whole thing cost 4Q, but if you wanted, you could bump the built-in Adversary drawback to 3, assign it to the Demon, and then the quality would only be 2Q, and you'd could drop the separate Adversary drawback (and still get the full 10 points from Drawbacks since you have others).

Jemal

Adventurer
that Demon Hunter one sounds almost perfect, except for the 'all supernatural creatures are evil' aspect. I'd viewed him as fairly well-adjusted with the supernatural community, just vengeful towards evil demons in particular, but still capable of telling the difference between 'soul-eating demon' and 'candy-making demon'.

Would it be ok if I took it without the delusion for 3 or even 4 pts?

First draft Full sheet:

[sblock=Jason Williams]
Jason Williams, AKA Jason Teller
White Hat Demon Hunter

Attributes: 15
Physical:
Strength 3 (2 pts +1 Demon Hunter)
Dex 3 (2 pts +1 Demon Hunter)
Con 3 (2 pts +1 Demon Hunter)
Mental:
Int 5 (3 pts +1 Occult Investigator +1 Nerd)
Per 4 (3 pts +1 Occult Investigator)
Will 4 (3 pts +1 Nerd)

Life Points: 37 (10 +4x Str(12) +4x Con(12) +3 Hard to Kill)
Drama Points: 20
Fear save: Immune, +10 vs Supernatural
Initiative: +8

Skills: (15 +4D)
Acrobatics 2
Computers 5 (3 + 2 Nerd)
Getting Medieval 5 (4 pts +1 Demon Hunter)
Kung Fu 4(3 +1 Demon Hunter)
Notice 3
Occultism 4 (2 pt +2 Occult Investigator)
Wild Card: Running 2
*+1 Survival, -1 social roles*

Qualities/Drawbacks: (10+D)
Obsession(2D): Go to almost any length in pursuit of... The Demon
Secret(2D): Wanted for murder of Fellow Students
Honorable -Serious(2D): Don't betray anyone, always keep your word.
Tragic Love(4D): Has lost 2 lovers to The Demon.. Is this a trend?

Hard to Kill LVL 1(1Q) - Add 3 to Life Points and +1 to Survival Tests.
Nerd (3Q) - Gain +1 to two different mental Attributes (human max 6), and +2 to one of Computers, Knowledge, or Science, but -1 to any social roll.
Demon Hunter (3Q): His life has been thrashed by demons and has decided to dedicate their life to thrashing back. +1 to any 3 Attributes (up to human max of 6, no stacking); +1 to any 2 of Gun Fu, Getting Medieval, or Kung Fu; Adversary 3 (The Demon)

Background/Notes

Jason Williams was born in small-town Saskatchewan in 1979, to a pair of second generation farmers. He never fit in at their small farm-town school, he was a loner, a gamer, a geek. The only school activity he ever really partook of was Track and Field, placing well in long-distance running and the hundred metre dash all through high school. During his senior year, he finally worked up the courage to tell his only real friend, Amanda, of his feelings for her, and was relieved and elated when she responded in kind.

He moved to Saskatoon with his new sweetheart Amanda to attend the University of Saskatchewan, beginning courses in Literature and Philosophy in the fall of 1997. While there, he and his girlfriend became involved with a group of fellow students Larping in their spare time. Over the next several months, their gaming kept getting darker and more 'realistic', until a cold winter evening in 1998, when it was revealed that one of their members had actually been using their Larping as a cover, and that they had been performing actual demonic rites, which culminated in the summoning of an ancient evil, who promptly began slaughtering the Larpers who had been brought to be his sacrifice. Everyone was brutally slain, including Jason's girlfriend and the misguided young man who had orchestrated the summoning, with only Jason managing to escape.

Scared half out of his mind, Jason fled, knowing there was no way he could report this to the police - they'd never believe him, just lock him up and blame it on another gamer-gone-medieval. He hid out for a few days, not knowing if the demon would find him first or the police. The demon never showed up, but the police did end up blaming him for the murders, the papers calling the scene a 'horrible massacre by an unhinged psycopath.' Jason tried contacting his parents, tried explaining, but even they didn't believe him, just begging him to turn himself in and 'get help'.

Eventually, he realized that his 'normal' life was over. He couldn't go on knowing that stuff like that was REAL, was actually out there. Even if he could relocate, he'd never be able to be a normal person again. He searched everywhere for information, trying to find someone that might be able to explain, and after a few months(Mid 1999), finally found someone who did, an ex-watcher named Michelle. The woman took Jason under her wing, introducing him to her crew of demon-hunters, training and teaching him. The two quickly grew close as they hunted vampires and demons together, and their mentor-student bond gave way to their love as they searched for The Demon.

Unfortunately, they found it. The thing was a True Demon, not the shadow of it's real power that most demons were who walked the Earth, and it easily bested them, taking its time toying with the crew as it slowly and methodically killed each one, until only Jason and Michelle were left. The vicious beast recognized the love between them, and took great pleasure in slowly ripping it away from Jason, but that was ultimately his salvation. The beast took too long disposing of them, and Michelle was able to, with her last bit of energy, weave a spell that bound the demons powers. Jason was able to escape with her, but her wounds were too severe for medical aid, and she passed later that night.

Since then, Jason has been obsessively tracking the beast as it seeks to regain its full power, to which end both have come to Waterloo, and it's hellmouth.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads