Buffy RPG - A Hellmouth in Waterloo [Closed]

Cor Azer

First Post
that Demon Hunter one sounds almost perfect, except for the 'all supernatural creatures are evil' aspect. I'd viewed him as fairly well-adjusted with the supernatural community, just vengeful towards evil demons in particular, but still capable of telling the difference between 'soul-eating demon' and 'candy-making demon'.

Would it be ok if I took it without the delusion for 3 or even 4 pts?

Yeah, that's ok as a 3-point quality.

If you're cool with the write-up (barring any minor tweaks), I'll try to get him worked into the next update (which may not be until Saturday).

Jemal

Adventurer
Works for me. On that note, was reading through the IC thread and saw when they were chasing paul you asked for a 'sports' check to chase. So is Sports used for running then? I assumed acrobatics..

Cor Azer

First Post
Works for me. On that note, was reading through the IC thread and saw when they were chasing paul you asked for a 'sports' check to chase. So is Sports used for running then? I assumed acrobatics..

Really more of an either/or thing. The cinematic system leaves the boundaries of many skills somewhat vague; ie parkour would likely be Acrobatics, but track is likely Sports. Often it comes down to where the player describes the skill was gained (ie, a criminal background might use Crime for pick pocket but a amateur magician might use Acrobatics)

Jemal

Adventurer
I'd taken Acrobatics 2 and Wild card: Running 2 to show both his track background and a bit of the 'moves' he picked up with the demon hunting crew.

Speaking of which, what are the skill thresholds like? IE what does a 3 or a 5 in a skill mean - is that 'well trained, kinda trained, really freakin good'? Been trying to decide how to tweak the last bit of points and don't wanna go to far over/under on things.

Cor Azer

First Post
For attributes, 2 is average, 6 is peak human.

For skills, 2-3 is basic competency, 4-5 is some extra expert training/learning, and 7-10 are your grandmasters.

Jemal

Adventurer
So I've posted my introduction, and here's the updated run of my sheet. I also wanted to ask you about how Enchanted items work.. I'd be interested to have Jason's Ankh (A parting gift from Michelle) be more important than he realizes. Specifically for starters, I was hoping it could work like a cross against vampires, possibly other benefits depending on how special items work, and how much they cost.

[sblock=Jason Williams]
Jason Williams, AKA Jason Teller

Attributes: 15
Physical:
Strength 3 (2 pts +1 Demon Hunter)
Dex 3 (2 pts +1 Demon Hunter)
Con 3 (2 pts +1 Demon Hunter)
Mental:
Int 5 (3 pts +1 Occult Investigator +1 Nerd)
Per 4 (3 pts +1 Occult Investigator)
Will 4 (3 pts +1 Nerd)

Life Points: 37 (10 +4x Str(12) +4x Con(12) +3 Hard to Kill)
Fear save: Immune, +10 vs Supernatural
Initiative: +8

Skills: (15 +4D)
Acrobatics 2
Computers 5 (3 + 2 Nerd)
Getting Medieval 5 (4 pts +1 Demon Hunter)
Kung Fu 4(3 +1 Demon Hunter)
Notice 3
Occultism 4 (2 pt +2 Occult Investigator)
Sports 1
Wild Card: Running 1
*+1 Survival, -1 social roles*

Qualities/Drawbacks: (10+6D)
Obsession(2D): Go to almost any length in pursuit of... The Demon
Secret(2D): Wanted for murder of Fellow Students
Honorable -Serious(2D): Don't betray anyone, always keep your word.
Tragic Love(4D): Has lost 2 lovers to The Demon.. Is this a trend?

Fast Reaction Time (2Q) - +5 to Initiative (usually just a Dexterity roll), and +1 to Willpower to resist fear
Hard to Kill LVL 1(1Q) - Add 3 to Life Points and +1 to Survival Tests.
Nerves of Steel (3Q) - Unflappable. Immune to non-supernatural fear. +4 bonus to Willpower rolls versus supernatural fear.
Nerd (3Q) - Gain +1 to two different mental Attributes (human max 6), and +2 to one of Computers, Knowledge, or Science, but -1 to any social roll.
Occult Investigator (4Q) - PI of the supernatural. +1 to two different mental attributes, +2 Occultism, +1 bonus on fear tests, but must make a Willpower (doubled) roll to stop from invesitgating "wierd" stuff.
Demon Hunter (3Q): His life has been thrashed by demons and has decided to dedicate their life to thrashing back. +1 to any 3 Attributes (up to human max of 6, no stacking); +1 to any 2 of Gun Fu, Getting Medieval, or Kung Fu; Adversary 3 (The Demon)

Background/Notes
Appearance: 1.8 m, 73 KG (~5'11", 160 lbs). Short Brown hair, Green eyes, pale complexion. Appears to be in good shape.
Usually wears dark clothing (black jeans/t-shirt). Wears a black, featureless bunny-hug when it's cold. Always wears his Glasses and Ankh.
His clothing hides several scars from his run-ins with various demons and vamps.

Jason Williams was born in small-town Saskatchewan in 1979, to a pair of second generation farmers. He never fit in at their small farm-town school, he was a loner, a gamer, a geek. The only school activity he ever really partook of was Track and Field, placing well in long-distance running and the hundred metre dash all through high school. During his senior year, he finally worked up the courage to tell his only real friend, Amanda, of his feelings for her, and was relieved and elated when she responded in kind.

He moved to Saskatoon with his new sweetheart Amanda to attend the University of Saskatchewan, beginning courses in Literature and Philosophy in the fall of 1997. While there, he and his girlfriend became involved with a group of fellow students Larping in their spare time. Over the next several months, their gaming kept getting darker and more 'realistic', until a cold winter evening in 1998, when it was revealed that one of their members had actually been using their Larping as a cover, and that they had been performing actual demonic rites, which culminated in the summoning of an ancient evil, who promptly began slaughtering the Larpers who had been brought to be his sacrifice. Everyone was brutally slain, including Jason's girlfriend and the misguided young man who had orchestrated the summoning, with only Jason managing to escape.

Scared half out of his mind, Jason fled, knowing there was no way he could report this to the police - they'd never believe him, just lock him up and blame it on another gamer-gone-medieval. He hid out for a few days, not knowing if the demon would find him first or the police. The demon never showed up, but the police did end up blaming him for the murders, the papers calling the scene a 'horrible massacre by an unhinged psycopath.' Jason tried contacting his parents, tried explaining, but even they didn't believe him, just begging him to turn himself in and 'get help'.

Eventually, he realized that his 'normal' life was over. He couldn't go on knowing that stuff like that was REAL, was actually out there. Even if he could relocate, he'd never be able to be a normal person again. He searched everywhere for information, trying to find someone that might be able to explain, and after a few months(Mid 1999), finally found someone who did, an ex-watcher named Michelle. The woman took Jason under her wing, introducing him to her crew of demon-hunters, training and teaching him. The two quickly grew close as they hunted vampires and demons together, and their mentor-student bond gave way to their love as they searched for The Demon.

Unfortunately, they found it. The thing was a True Demon, not the shadow of it's real power that most demons were who walked the Earth, and it easily bested them, taking its time toying with the crew as it slowly and methodically killed each one, until only Jason and Michelle were left. The vicious beast recognized the love between them, and took great pleasure in slowly ripping it away from Jason, but that was ultimately his salvation. The beast took too long disposing of them, and Michelle was able to, with her last bit of energy, weave a spell that bound the demons powers. Jason was able to escape with her, but her wounds were too severe for medical aid, and she passed later that night.

Since then, Jason has been obsessively tracking the beast as it seeks to regain its full power, to which end both have come to Waterloo, and it's hellmouth.

*Current Year is 2001, Concurrent with Buffy Season5/Angel Season2*
[/sblock]

Cor Azer

First Post
So I've posted my introduction, and here's the updated run of my sheet. I also wanted to ask you about how Enchanted items work.. I'd be interested to have Jason's Ankh (A parting gift from Michelle) be more important than he realizes. Specifically for starters, I was hoping it could work like a cross against vampires, possibly other benefits depending on how special items work, and how much they cost.

Generally, they work a lot like spells. You figure out what it can do (range, scope, targeting limitations, requirements, frequency of use, etc.), which roughly gives it a power level, and then bake 30-45 min. Done.

To start with one, it requires the Enchanted Item quality at 2Q per power level of the item. For an ankh (or, rather, anything) that, to initial appearances, only serves as an effective vamp-deterrent, you're looking at a simple Power Level 1 item I imagine, even if we throw in some hooks for it to become something more later one. So... a 2Q quality to start.

If you're happy with Jason's write-up, you can post him over to the Rogue's Gallery thread:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/rogues-gallery/312412-buffy-rpg-hellmouth-waterloo-casting-sheet.html

Jemal

Adventurer
eech, 2 points for a simple cross is too steep for my blood, I'll just leave it as a memento.

Might want to tweak one or two skills but I think he's g2g. posting to RG.

Remove ads