• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Build for a human npc in my campaign, ideas and feedback please!

dragonis111

First Post
All I have so far are his ability scores, planned feats, fighter and barbarian class levels, and equipment.

My house rules: I'm allowing the 3.5 monkey grip feat in my campaigns for npcs and my players if they want it, but I upped the requirements from 13 str and +1 BAB to 15 str and +3 BAB. Also I determined that the monkey grip feat would make a great sword act like a bastard sword, so I'm also allowing one handing it if you have both the monkey grip and exotic weapon proficiency (greatsword) feats, but you still get the minus 2.

My human npc will have 4 levels each of fighter and barbarian making him 8th level, he uses a heavy mithril shield that has spikes, one hands an adamantine greatsword, wears a mithril breastplate, and has a few to be determined magic items.

Scores are using a standard 15 point buy:

STR: 18 +4 (base 14 +2 human and +1 at level 4 and +1 at level 8)
DEX: 15 +2
CON: 14 +2
INT: 10 +0
WIS: 10 +0
CHA: 8 -1

Feats: (please tell me if I have the right number of feats)
Human Bonus Feat: improved shield bash
1st Barbarian: power attack
3rd Barbarian: improved bull rush
1st Fighter: monkey grip
1st Fighter Bonus Feat: two-weapon fighting
2nd Fighter Bonus Feat: weapon focus (greatsword)
3rd Fighter: exotic weapon proficiency (greatsword)
4th Fighter Bonus Feat: shield slam

Again I welcome ideas and constructive feedback!!!

Last edited:

N'raac

First Post
Looks like he goes 4 levels Barbarian followed by 4 levels Fighter? So L1, he has 2 feats, L3 gets a third, L5 should get 2 more (one for every other level and one F bonus feat), L6 gets a fighter bonus feat, L7 gets a normal feat and L8 gets a fighter bonus feat. That's the 8 feats you wanted.

So where's his Monkey Grip to let him use the Greatsword one handed?

dragonis111

First Post
F**k thanks for pointing that out. Edited it to correct it, but I at least I got the correct number of feats.

I swapped out cleave to make room for monkey grip, and yes he takes all 4 barbarian levels first then takes the 4 fighter levels. I'm building this npc to act as a high ranking officer for one of my city's military.

Last edited:

N'raac

First Post
Aesthetically, I'd move the timing of some feats around. Given the focus of the character is that one-handed Greatsword wield, maybe:

Human Bonus Feat: weapon focus (greatsword)
1st Barbarian: exotic weapon proficiency (greatsword)
3rd Barbarian: monkey grip
1st Fighter: two-weapon fighting
1st Fighter Bonus Feat: improved shield bash
2nd Fighter Bonus Feat: shield slam
3rd Fighter: power attack
4th Fighter Bonus Feat: improved bull rush

No difference in L8 play, but focuses on getting that one-handed Greatsword first, then learning how to use his shield for more than defense. The chain above seems like the approach a player would likely take. +1 to hit right at the start, with EWP and Monkey Grip ASAP thereafter (so 3rd for Monkey Grip since he needs the prereqs). 2WF and Imp Shield Bash next to add that shield bach attack, then add the Bull Rush, then make the Bull Rush better.

sheadunne

Explorer
Should a high ranking officer have such a low charisma and average mental stats?

It's always the issue with NPCs and why so many seem weak in published APs. To make the character a leader you need to put points into stats which are commonly dump stats for the type of build you're making. There's nothing really wrong with it, but it's just something that exists. Does his stats fit with how you imagine him being roleplayed? Is he a combatant for the PCs to challenge? What's his role in the game?

dragonis111

First Post
N'raac I totally agree with your re ordering of the feats, I kinda just listed them in order of what I wanted and just made sure the prereqs were met, this makes much more sense role play wise.

sheadunne I have also noticed this a whole bunch, and as for this character, the city he works for has been built upon the wealth of the many mineral rich mines that are scattered over the nearby mountain, and two of the skills he takes, intimidate and knowledge (dungeoneering) make him really useful for leading the guard teams that clear out the mines of monsters to protect the miners. Lastly I haven't spent all of his wealth (he gets some more than a normal 8th level character would since he earns monthly pay from the city) and I need to buy him some magic items, and now I'm thinking they can be stat boosting ones to make his leadership more effective.

His main function in this campaign is that he adventures along side my players, helping them out a ton in the beginning as the players are only level 4 by the time they reach this city. Eventually though as the players level up he becomes more of a supporting npc that keeps the players free from having to deal with the little minions everywhere they go. I have it mapped out so that when the players are finished with the city they should be level 9 to 10. What my players don't know is there is a drow threat since some of the mines have broken into their territory, and the players have to investigate every mine and clear them of any drow, and eventually descend into the drow kingdom to permanently end the threat.

N'raac

First Post
sheadunne I have also noticed this a whole bunch, and as for this character, the city he works for has been built upon the wealth of the many mineral rich mines that are scattered over the nearby mountain, and two of the skills he takes, intimidate and knowledge (dungeoneering) make him really useful for leading the guard teams that clear out the mines of monsters to protect the miners. Lastly I haven't spent all of his wealth (he gets some more than a normal 8th level character would since he earns monthly pay from the city)

Would regular pay in the city's employ mean he has more money than an adventurer, or less? Adventurers seem to generate some pretty solid coin from their exploits, and incomes of non-adventurers tend to compare poorly. Does he need a bunch of magic items to fulfill his role?

I might be inclined to start him off with pretty ordinary gear overall, especially given he's much higher level than the PC's when they first encounter him. Upgrading his equipment could require the PC's sharing loot with him (and why not, if he's taking a lot of the risks?). If they don't, maybe their relationship with this fellow deteriorates, as he perceives their lack of gratitude and equity, and he drifts away, letting them fend for themselves.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Be careful of DMPC's - many players react negatively to having their spotlight intruded upon.

Also, have you considered using the Elite array for his starting stats? (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)

Should a high ranking officer have such a low charisma and average mental stats?

I need to buy him some magic items, and now I'm thinking they can be stat boosting ones to make his leadership more effective.

Maybe do the inverse? Balance out his stats and give him a higher Int, Wis, Cha (or at least Wis, Cha) and use those stat boosting magic items to augment his physical stats? If he is a military field officer, it would make a lot more sense for someone who is a "leader of men" to have a sound tactical mind (Int), canny instincts (Wis), and a strong presence (Cha). It logically follows that those attributes are natural to him and the augments (magic items to physical stats) are supernatural and gained throughout his career.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads