Build for a Warrior-type Cleric (Core only)

Jack99

Adventurer
dnd3dm said:
We are allowed to pick PrCs out of other books, but they all must be DM-approved and can't have a prerequisite like a feat or ability that is not in the PHB. I'm thinking of making up my own or having him make me a custom PrC. The things I want most are +1 level of existing divine spellclasting class every level, and I'd like +1 BAB every level, but no PrC offers both. I looked at Warpriest and Shining Blade, but neither was quite what I wanted. Any PrC suggestions?

I don't recall any PRC offhand, that gives both, but...

Go for a PRC with full spell-casting progression, and screw the BAB progression. By the time you can take most PRC's, you will be casting divine power anyway.

Jack Simth

First Post
dnd3dm said:
I am about to start Age of Worms, and the DM is only allowing characters to be created from the PHB/DMG. I want to play a cleric, but we already have another cleric, so my character is going to be more martially-oriented.

He is a human cleric of Heironeous with the Good and War domains, so he uses a longsword as a main weapon. His stats are as follows (32-point nonstandard buy build):

Str: 16, Dex: 10, Con: 14, Int: 10, Wis: 16, Chr: 10

I probably won't multiclass, since I want the spellcasting progression to remain uninterrupted.

Feats and future feats are what I really need help with. Right now I have Combat Casting and Extra Turning, and get MWP: Longsword and WF: Longsword from the War domain. I'm thinking maybe I should have Toughness or something else instead of Extra Turning, but I'm not sure that will matter much at the higher levels.

Suggestions? Improvements?

Thanks in advance.
Let's see... you're starting at 1st, correct?

Neither Combat Casting nor Extra Turning are particularly useful for you (you'll not need much in the way of turning attempts unless you're on an undead-heavy campaign arc, and as others have mentioned, Skill Focus(Concentration) is more often useful than Combat Casting). With your Dex, you might as well go with as heavy armor as you can muster - which means you might as well be playing a Dwarf for the +2 con and Darkvision. Be a Dwarf, drop Extra Turning, and trade Combat Casting for Skill Focus(Concentration), perhaps.

nittanytbone

First Post
Did he allow Divine Might from the SRD? I know the SRD isn't "PHB" but many DMs will allow SRD material in. If so, that is a strong nod IMHO towards making CHA a 14.

If Divine Might will not be allowed, dump CHA and boost DEX. You'll appreciate +1 AC and +1 to hit with ranged weapons (chucking holy water, using your crossbow with Bane ammo, etc) in every encounter. How often will you prefer to turn undead rather than just beat the crud out of them, honestly? With my low CHA characters, I just keep a potion or scroll of Eagle's Glory handy. It gives you an extra two turn attempts in a pinch.

Felix

Explorer
Keep Scribe Scroll in mind for your 3rd level feat. Clerics have a lot of "Crap, I need That SPELL NOW" spells that aren't terribly useful to have in your prepared slots. Scribe Scroll will allow you to:

Prepare martial buff spells.
Spontaneously cast cure spells.
Cast restorative spells from scrolls.

Of course, you may simply want to suggest this to the other clericy-cleric in the party.

Otherwise, you may not do too badly by multiclassing with Paladin (to get the Age-of-Worms worth-weight-in-gold Divine Health) or with Fighter (for bonus feats and Weapon Specialization). Because you already have one cleric, starting as a Paladin and taking 4th level onwards as a Cleric may work well for your group.

nittanytbone

First Post
Felix said:
Keep Scribe Scroll in mind for your 3rd level feat. Clerics have a lot of "Crap, I need That SPELL NOW" spells that aren't terribly useful to have in your prepared slots. Scribe Scroll will allow you to:

Prepare martial buff spells.
Spontaneously cast cure spells.
Cast restorative spells from scrolls.

Of course, you may simply want to suggest this to the other clericy-cleric in the party.

Otherwise, you may not do too badly by multiclassing with Paladin (to get the Age-of-Worms worth-weight-in-gold Divine Health) or with Fighter (for bonus feats and Weapon Specialization). Because you already have one cleric, starting as a Paladin and taking 4th level onwards as a Cleric may work well for your group.

I'd disregard this. You can team up with the Wizard -- him providing the Feat, you providing the spells/XP -- to make Divine Scrolls.

Multiclassing a cleric is NEVER a good idea. "Thou Shalt Not Lose Caster Levels." The only time I would even consider missing a caster level would be for the Prestige Paladin from the SRD. You're much stronger as a cleric 8 than a Fighter 4/Cleric 4. Divine Health is not worth losing your Turn Undead progression and your spell casting progression.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Worshiping St. Cuthbert is very tempting, but I don't want to play another LG character.

St. Cuthbert is LN, which can be a very interesting alignment to play...

Multiclassing a cleric is NEVER a good idea. "Thou Shalt Not Lose Caster Levels."

1) ...unless it makes sense that the PC would do so, and there are many reasons a PC would.

2) There are PrCls that don't cost you casting levels, like the Contemplative (CompDiv) which also gets you bonus domains.

nittanytbone

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
2) There are PrCls that don't cost you casting levels, like the Contemplative (CompDiv) which also gets you bonus domains.

Fair enough. Multiclassing a cleric with any other base class is (almost) never worth it -- there are a handful of PrCs out there.

As far as multiclassing for roleplay reasons -- sure, whatever floats your boat. It isn't mechanically optimal though. If my cleric was hanging out a lot with wizards, I'd prefer to drop a few SP into Knowledge (Arcana) or Spellcraft than to pick up a Wizard level! Likewise, if my cleric has been doing a lot of fighting with mercenaries and sell swords I'd prefer to pick up a related Knowledge skill, perhaps Profession (Mercenary NCO), or even just upgrade my gear. One can stay true to roleplaying experiences without boning your character mechanically! :)

Felix

Explorer
nittanytbone said:
I'd disregard this. You can team up with the Wizard -- him providing the Feat, you providing the spells/XP -- to make Divine Scrolls.

Fair enough a point, however: a much better thing to say is:

"dnd3dm, does your party have a wizard in it?"

Before you go about disregarding things.

Multiclassing a cleric is NEVER a good idea. "Thou Shalt Not Lose Caster Levels." The only time I would even consider missing a caster level would be for the Prestige Paladin from the SRD. You're much stronger as a cleric 8 than a Fighter 4/Cleric 4. Divine Health is not worth losing your Turn Undead progression and your spell casting progression.
Didn't you see An American Tail? Never say, "Never".

Since we're talking Age of Worms here, if I were making a martial divine character, multiclassing with Paladin for Divine Health wouldn't be a bad idea. Otherwise have fun making all those Fort saves all campaign long. Of course, since Paladin has multiclassing restrictions, you may at some point have even levels in Cleric and Paladin (3/3 most likely). I'd suggest it's worth the temporary setback to make yourself more martial in the short term and disease-proof in the long.

Secondly, of course Fighter 4 / Cleric 4 is going to be weaker than Cleric 8; splitting levels down the middle is suicide with a casting class; holding that up as your argument against multiclassing clerics lacks imagination. But taking a few levels off now and again isn't nearly as terrible. Cleric 6 / Fighter 2, for instance; he will lose spells, but he won't need as many of those buffs to be as good a fighter. Or Fighter 6 / Cleric 2, who will be a solid Fighter, and be able to heal himself a bit to boot. My apologies if I wasn't clear that I was talking about 3 to 4 levels over 20; it is a 20-level adventure path.

Doug McCrae

Legend
With so many strength and size boosts - Bull's Strength, Divine Power, Righteous Might, Enlarge Person (Strength domain) - you could go for a trip build. Improved Trip is one of the best combat feats in core. Take the feats Combat Expertise (requires 13 int), Improved Trip and EWP: Spiked Chain.

Felix

Explorer
Doug McCrae said:
With so many strength and size boosts - Bull's Strength, Divine Power, Righteous Might, Enlarge Person (Strength domain) - you could go for a trip build. Improved Trip is one of the best combat feats in core. Take the feats Combat Expertise (requires 13 int), Improved Trip and EWP: Spiked Chain.
There are many enemies in Age of Worms that will laugh off a trip attempt, and certainly as you approach epic levels.

But it will do well for the first 8 or so.

Remove ads