Build: Human Barbarian Damage Machine

andrew

First Post
This should be an easy one. I'd like some suggestions on putting together a human barbarian 11 with emphasis on damage. He should be able to dish it out and take it. I can throw together a fairly standard build (Power Attack, Cleave, Imp. Toughness, Greater Resilency), but I'd like to see some more interesting takes on it. I'm more interested in fun things to do with feats and skills, but consider items as well. I just don't want to end up relying on a single item for all the punch. Requirements and sample below:

Requirements:
28 point buy
Human
11 levels of Barbarian (single class)
Greataxe
Focus on melee damage: giving and receiving
Core Rules, Complete Warrior, Complete Divine
80K of magic items from DMG only
No Rings

Sample:
Gurg'l
Human Barbarian 11

Att: +17/+12/+7 (+20/+15/+10 while raging)
Dmg: 1d12+9 (1d12+13 while raging)
HP: 11d12+55 (11d12+88 while raging)
DR: 3/ -
AC: 21 (19 while raging)
Saves: +11/+6/+3 (+14/+6/+6 while raging)

Feats: Power Attack, Imp. Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Improved Toughness, Greater Resiliency

General strategy involves a lot of charging and power attacking to make use of heedless charge from Shock Trooper feat. Imp. Toughness and Greater Resiliency are just to help soak up the damage. Boots of speed means more attacks and more damage. I should probably lose the amulet of nat. armor for a amulet of bodily health.

Base Stats:
Str 16 +3
Dex 14 +2
Con 16 +3
Int 8 -1
Wis 10 0
Cha 8 -1

Modified Stats:
Str 22 +6 [belt +6]
Dex 16 +3 [gloves +2]
Con 18 +4 [level increases]
Int 8 -1
Wis 10 0
Cha 8 -1

Items:
belt of giant strength +6 (36000)
gloves of dexterity +2 (4000)
+3 chain shirt (9250)
cloak of resistance +3 (9000)
+1 holy greataxe (18,000)
amulet of natural armor +1 (2000)
boots of speed (12000)

UltimaGabe

First Post
Instead of a +1 Holy Greataxe, make it a +1 Vicious Valorous Greataxe. Vicious does an extra 2d6 points of damage on a successful hit, and 1d6 against yourself (which is up to your DM as to whether it's subject to DR or not). Valorous is a +1 ability from the Unforgotten East FR book that causes your weapon to do double damage on a charge (as if you're mounted with the Spirited Charge feat). With tons of strength and a high-damage dealing weapon like a Greataxe, start everything off with a charge and the enemies will cower. If you happen to make that charge a critical hit, you'll do x4 your normal damage (as the multipliers simply add on).

Edit: Dang it, I just realized you're only using the core books and Complete Warrior. Well, see if you can slip Valorous by your DM.

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
Sample:
Gurg'l
Human Barbarian 11

Att: +21/+16/+11 (+24/+19/+14 while raging)
Dmg: 1d12+13 +2d6 vs. evil (1d12+16 +2d6 vs. evil while raging)
HP: 11d12+44 (11d12+77 while raging)
DR: 2/ -
AC: 20 (18 while raging)
Saves: +11/+6/+2 (+14/+6/+5 while raging)

Feats: Power Attack, Imp. Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Cleave, Weapon Focus Great Axe (option trade out Weapon Focus for Great Cleave)

Base Stats:
Str 18 +4
Dex 14 +2
Con 14 +2
Int 8 -1
Wis 8 -1
Cha 8 -1

Modified Stats:
Str 26 +8 [belt +6] [level increases+2]
Dex 16 +3 [gloves +2]
Con 18 +4 [amulet +4]
Int 8 -1
Wis 8 -1
Cha 8 -1

Items:
belt of giant strength +6 (36000)
gloves of dexterity +2 (4000)
+3 chain shirt (9250)
cloak of resistance +3 (9000)
+1 holy greataxe (18,000)
amulet of constitution +4 (16000)

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
You're cheating yourself with those stats. Since your barbarian is 11th level, you get level 4 and level 8 stat bumps so you should be:

Str 18 (16 +2 for level)
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 8

green slime

First Post
Do you really have to be single classed?

Take 5 levels of Druid, and grab the "lion's pounce" feat from CD. You lose some abilities, but if you are going for maxed out charging mayhem, a full-attack at the end of a charge is pretty gruesome.

Or convince the DM to allow Oriental Adventures and get a couple of levels of Singh Rager.

Last edited:

drdevoid

Explorer
I'd recommend Improved Buckler Defense in lieu of Improved Toughness. You gain the extra AC but the buckler doesn't interfere with your two handed weapon style. My experience has been to grab as much AC rather HPs when playing a barbarian though ymmv.

If you take Imp. Buckler Defense, go with a +2 chain shirt and a +2 Buckler. I think you might even have the change to go with a +2 mithral shirt then, rather than just masterwork chain.

And I'll second the suggestion for Improved Critical, no matter what two handed weapon you use.

Darklone

drdevoid said:
I'd recommend Improved Buckler Defense in lieu of Improved Toughness. You gain the extra AC but the buckler doesn't interfere with your two handed weapon style. My experience has been to grab as much AC rather HPs when playing a barbarian though ymmv.
You still suffer a -1 to attack. And as written, Improved Buckler Defense does not work with twohanded weapons.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Sorry - lots of random ramblings here.

I'd lower the +6 belt to a +4 belt. IMO, there are better ways to spend the 20000 you'll be saving.

I'd pay 9K for an Animated shield... Mithral full plate is also great deal - medium armour - slow you down, but toughen you up greatly. I'd argue both of these help you deal damage by keeping you alive!

+3 instead of +1 holy!

Subjecting this to some maths: Holy does +2D6 damage for an average of +7 damage per hit and aligns the weapon.

An extra +2 may sound boring... However, the to hit can can be traded in for damage via power attack. Even if just used for damage that's +6 that works on anything, rather than just evil. It also gives you more choices and makes the weapon harder to sunder. The alignment aspect can be solved by a friendly cleric.

Keep holy where it belongs - on multishot bows. :)

I'd consider making the weapon from a special material. Adamantine?

I know you're not keen on multiclassing, but... At some point an exotic weapon proficiency - bastard sword or waraxe, a level in exotic weapon master (complete warrior) and the 2 hands as 1 trick. If you use a 1 handed exotic weapon in 2 hands you can apply strength X2 to the damage instead of strength *1.5. Seems a worthwhile way to spend a feat.

Remove ads