• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Build leading up to Archmage

calypso15

Explorer
Hey guys,

So, my character got killed in our last session and I'm making a new (13th level) character. I decided to aim for the Archmage prestige class at 14th level. The build I chose is Human Wizard 7/Loremaster 6.

Str 13, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 20 (22 with headband), Wis 12, Cha 13
Fort +10, Reflex +8, Will +14 (+2 from cloak)

Feats: Chain Spell, Twin Spell, (my dm allows spontaneous metamagic for wizards, but you take subdual damage), Spell Focus (Nec/Ench), Greater Spell Focus (Nec/Ench), Skill Focus (Knowledge(Arcana),Spellcraft)

My feats barely squeaked by to meet the prereqs for Loremaster and Archmage. But, the save DC for my 7th level Necromantic or Enchantment spells is 27, which makes me happy.

And, I have a smartass raven familiar named Toad.

Anyway, looking for thoughts on making my character better and/or more unique. Feel free to change the advancement up to level 13, though I would like to qualify for Archmage, unless you have a cooler prestige class.

Calypso

Last edited:

calypso15

Explorer
Also, what high arcana should I take first? I was probably going to take Spell Power +2 first (I didn't read anywhere that you have to take them in order), and eventually have Spell Power +1/+2/+3, Arcane Reach, and either Arcane Fire or Spell-Like Ability. My guy doesn't have any direct damage spells (nope, not even Magic Missile), so Mastery of Elements and Mastery of Shaping seem pretty useless.

Calypso

EvilGM

Explorer
Here's the path I took with a Human (generalist) Wizard...

1 - Wizard 1st lvl: Summon Familiar, Scribe Scroll; (1st lvl feat) Skill Focus (Spellcraft), (human bonus feat) Spell Casting Prodigy
2 - Wizard 2nd lvl
3 - Wizard 3rd lvl: (3rd lvl feat) Iron Will
4 - Wizard 4th lvl: +1 Int
5 - Wizard 5th lvl: (wizard bonus feat) Extend Spell
6 - Incantatrix 1st lvl: (incantatrix bonus feat) Empower Spell, (6th lvl feat) Spell Focus (Necromancy)
7 - Incantatrix 2nd lvl: Cooperative metamagic
8 - Incantatrix 3rd lvl: +1 Int; Metamagic effect
9 - Incantatrix 4th lvl: (incantatrix bonus feat) Maximize Spell, (9th lvl feat) Spell Focus (Evocation)
10 - Incantatrix 5th lvl: Metamagic spell trigger
11 - Incantatrix 6th lvl: Seize concentration
12 - Incantatrix 7th lvl: +1 Int; Instant metamagic 1/day; (incantatrix bonus feat) Widen Spell, (12th lvl feat) Spell Penetration
13 - Incantatrix 8th lvl: Snatch spell
14 - Incantatrix 9th lvl: Instant metamagic 2/day
15 - Incantatrix 10th lvl: Improved metamagic; (incantatrix bonus feat) Quicken Spell, (15th lvl feat) Twin Spell
16 - Arch Mage 1st lvl: +1 Int; High Arcana (Mastery of Shaping)
17 - Arch Mage 2nd lvl: High Arcana (Arcane Fire)
18 - Arch Mage 3rd lvl: High Arcana (Mastery of Elements); (18th lvl feat) Chain Spell
19 - Arch Mage 4th lvl: High Arcana (Spell Power)
20 - Arch Mage 5th lvl: +1 Int; High Arcana (Spell-Like Ability (Time Stop))
---
21 - Incantatrix 11th lvl: Instant metamagic 3/day; (21st lvl feat) Improved Spell Capacity (10th)
and so on... continuing with Incantatrix levels (mine is 24th atm and kicks major butt).

The Incantatrix abilities are nice, especially if there are other casters in the group. You do have to give up one school of magic (not abjuration/divination) when you take Incantatrix, but its a small price to pay.

Incantatrix is from Player's Guide to Faerun (pg 61).

I wish I had taken something other than Twin Spell at 15 - it's a dud.

Hope that gives you a little insight. Good luck with your character!

EvilGM

Explorer
Oh, you are playing 3.0?

Definitely take Spell Power +3, +2, Arcane Fire.

Spell Power +1 is up there as well unless you have other things you really want.

In 3.5, there is no Spell Power +2 or +3.

And the 3.0 Incantatrix is not so good.

EvilGM

Explorer
I use Mastery of Shaping alot in conjunction with Wail of the Banshee. There is no way the party will make their saving throws against it with 3.0 prodigy, focus, spell powers and uber Int.

calypso15

Explorer
A coworker was telling me how cool Incantatrix is at lunch today, so I came home and looked it up in Magic of Faerun and it wasn't very cool. So apparently there is a different version in the Players Guide to Faerun? I can pretty much mix and match from 3.0 and 3.5, whatever source books I want, as I see fit. So, would Incantatrix be cooler than Loremaster (not that loremaster is particularly cool).

Calypso

EDIT: Also, it seems that Incantatrix is all about metamagic. The way our game already is, you can spontaneously add metamagic to a spell, but it causes subdual damage. You add up the level increase and multiply it by the number of metamagic feats you're applying +1. So, to do an empowered, quickened spell, it would be (2+4)*(2+1) = 24 points of subdual damage. With that in mind, would Incantatrix still be cool?

And, just a rant, one of the players in the game made a prestige class called War Wizard. For every level of War Wizard, the player can, once per day, add quicken, maximize, empower, twin, chain for free. So, the character with 9 levels of it in our group can use quicken 9 times per day for free, maximize 9 times for free, and so on. It pisses me off how broken it is. They also gain a spellcaster level in their previous class.

Calypso

Last edited:

EvilGM

Explorer
3.5 Incantatrix from Player's Guide to Faerun is awesome. They get some nice abilities...

Cooperative metamagic (2nd lvl) - apply a metamagic feat you possess to a spell being cast by a willing allied spellcaster. You have to ready an action, be adjacent to the caster, and make a Spellcraft check DC 18 + (3x modified spell level). You can do this 3 + Int modifier times per day and it does not cost you or the other caster more spell slots.

Metamagic effect (3rd lvl) - apply a metamagic feat you possess to a persistent spell effect, such as a wall of fire. You have to be adjacent to or within the spell effect and make the Spellcraft check. 3 + Int modifier per day.

Metamagic spell trigger (5th lvl) - apply a metamagic feat you possess to a spell trigger item, such as a wand. You must have the item creation feat for that item and you use up extra charges.

Seize concentration (6th lvl) - seize control of a spell that requires concentration, such as implosion, major image, etc., from a spellcaster within 30'. Make opposed caster level checks to do so.

Instant metamagic (7th lvl) - apply a metamagic feat you possess to a spell as you cast it (no increase in cast time or spell slot). 1/day - additional use every two levels.

Snatch spell (8th lvl) - seize control of a spell that has an ongoing effect that doesn't require concentration but does respond to the caster's control, such as summon monster, spiritual weapon, etc., if the effect is within 30'. Make opposed caster level checks to do so.

Improved metamagic (10th lvl) - whenever you use a metamagic feat, the required level increase is reduced by 1 (minimum +1 spell level)

The Incantatrix receives full caster progression and bonus metamagic feats at 1st level and every three levels thereafter.

The bonus feats, improved metamagic and instant metamagic make this class worthwhile. The other abilities are just icing.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
calypso15 said:
Also, what high arcana should I take first? I was probably going to take Spell Power +2 first (I didn't read anywhere that you have to take them in order), and eventually have Spell Power +1/+2/+3, Arcane Reach, and either Arcane Fire or Spell-Like Ability. My guy doesn't have any direct damage spells (nope, not even Magic Missile), so Mastery of Elements and Mastery of Shaping seem pretty useless.

Mastery of shaping still lets you avoid hitting the party with area spells that don't cause damage, such as web or stuff.

And also... you're a wizard. You have direct damage spells. You may not have them right now, but you always have the option to add them on.

EvilGM

Explorer
Wow, that War Wizard class is nuts!

If the DM let that slide, you should cheese a little too.

See if he'll let you have an item that gives a bonus to Spellcraft (+10 or better would be nice... and help the Incantatrix make those checks for her special abilities). A caster of 13th level should have a Spellcraft of +20 or greater without items.

Then convince him that each time you use the ability it goes off the existing effect, not the original. With 3.0 metamagic stacking (being able to apply the same metamagic feat to a spell more than once) this will get crazy. Example...

Cast Mage Armor on yourself which will last 13 hours.
Use metamagic effect to extend it (Spellcraft DC 24) to 26 hours.
Use metamagic effect to extend it again (Spellcraft DC 27) to 52 hours.
Again (DC 30) for 104 hours.
Again (DC 33) for 208 hours.

Since you can do this 3+ Int mod per day, you should be able to hit those DCs and higher - and over that long of durations you will have many days worth of attempts to boost it even higher.

You don't want to know how long I was able to extend a Time Stop with my epic character. Craziness I say! ...It led to a prompt nerfing :(

Remove ads