• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Build me a mulcher/tank

I want to build a 1st level character specialized for combat.

Available classes include those in the Player's Handbook, Arcana Unearthed, Complete Warrior, Complete Arcane, Complete Adventurer. Races are generally from the same sources, but there is some flesibility there (i.e. Mythic Races might be allowed, as might the environment series or other WotC sources, but we're going for ECL1.

Stats have already been rolled as follows: 14, 15, 15, 16, 16, 17. (We roll 4d6, reroll 1's drop the low.)

Can anybody suggest a better build than Dwarf Warmain?

A giant would have awesome damage potential, but I'm thinking that with dwarf, I can ignore the movement penalty of heavy armor and get an obscene number of hit points.

With 19 Con, he'll start off with 20 hit points.

LordBOB

First Post
how would a dwarf start with 20 HP? at first level with 19 Const. you get max HP.

10 + 5 = 15 , not 20

Maybe im not looking right but this is what i think

Storyteller01

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
A giant would have awesome damage potential, but I'm thinking that with dwarf, I can ignore the movement penalty of heavy armor and get an obscene number of hit points.

With 19 Con, he'll start off with 20 hit points.

Giant's character levels can take your Con beyond that, in time. :) Giants will also be doing 20 with heavy armor, and will eventually gain a 10 ft reach. A nice bonus, since the Warmain will let you use that Giant Two Handed sword one handed (eventually).

The Stomp feat is also a nice touch (and maybe your tank can lone himself out to Broadway on occasion... :) ).

Your average hp will drop slightly (giant characters levels have a d10 HD).

Last edited:

Good point. Giants do eventually get a bonus to Con, don't they? And that 10' reach is something I hadn't thought of - with Large and In Charge, who needs dwarven Defender? Okay, I'm warming to this idea. I was already thinking about racial levels, though, of course, dwarven rather than giant, for that OBSCENE con boost, but I do believe that giant may be the way to go.

Any die hard dwarf fans, or fans of some other race out there, who can convince me now NOT to go with giant?

Storyteller01

First Post
I did goof earlier. The giant's con bonus through level will be equal to the con bonus a dwarf gets at 1st level. I'm so used to seeing attributes increase by 2 that I didn't check the racial levels as well as I should have :( .

So there may be your trade off. Dwarf gets many of the same bonuses at first level, so all your levels can go to your concept. Giant will require time and three levels dedictaed to your racil class. That three d12 over the three d10 will be rather helpful.

I'd still go with the giant. More damage with large weapons. :)

Last edited:

Octal40

Explorer
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
Any die hard dwarf fans, or fans of some other race out there, who can convince me now NOT to go with giant?
If you can talk your DM into allowing the Goliath from Races of Stone, it might be a nice option. LA +0. Their big claim to fame is that they're medium sized, but considered large if it is to their benefit. That means you can wield large weapons, are considered large when you grapple, considered medium for AC, etc., etc.

Remove ads