• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Build the Ultimate Sword of Swashbucklingness!

Munin

First Post
I'm running a one-on-one Savage Tide campaign. The central character is a Swashbuckler, and I'd like to give her the ultimate weapon for her character.

What I have so far is this:
A magic Elven Thinblade. A good start, but hardly awe-inspiring.
I want the weapon to grow with the character, and to be intelligent. I haven't given it any special powers as of yet, that's not really my forte. I'm hoping you guys can help me out in that regard.

What I want is a weapon that will grow to be the end-all be-all of fencing swords. Balance isn't really an issue, as I only have one player anways.

So, hit me with your best. Please tell me when you'd level up the weapon, too.

Thanks!

pawsplay

Hero
+5 defending keen silver thinblade of speed, that provides a +6 enhancement bonus to Dex, and can cast blur on its wielder 2/day.

dvvega

Explorer
You could make the weapon a Legacy Weapon.

This would require that you give it a history, who owned it previously, and so forth.

Not too sure about what it would be capable of (no books about etc) however I'm thinking along the lines of the penalised attribute(s) would be Wisdom and Charisma.

Wisdom - most swashbucklers in classic films are by no means wise - they do tend to take on more than they can handle.

Charisma - as the legend of the swashbuckler gains momentum so does the arrogance of the weapon's wielder. Therefor Charisma suffers. Oh yes he may be good looking, but his arrogance is off-putting.

Hope that can at least trigger some ideas for you.

pawsplay

Hero
Penalties don't really work quite like that... if it were a legacy weapon, you could use the fighter/skills drawback chart, but i'd probably just use the fighter one. Wielder requirements would be Weapon Finesse and EWP (thinblade).

In that case, replace speed with wounding, then give it the ability to haste its wielder several times a day. Give it a resistance bonus to saves to make up for its legacy cost.

I'm not a big fan of WoL, though.

nittanytbone

First Post
You could give the character a free "gestalt" as a Kensai once they hit 6th level or so. This would allow their weapon to grow with them and grant some other melee abilities.

Can you give us more detail about the character's build? The sword will be much more effective if designed to compliment the character's abilities.

Remove ads