• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

building a blind archer?

Miziziziz

First Post
So I had this idea to try creating an archer who was blind; it seemed cool for roleplaying.
Someone who is purposefully blind (wears a blindfold) since eyesight is too limiting.

So far I can only come up with using zen archery, since it let's you attack targets you can hear but not see.
Also, I'm in a core only 3.5 E6 campaign, however pretty much all feats are available.
Any suggestions?

edhel

Explorer
Do you want to create a blind fantasy archer who is as good or better than a regular archer? Or do you really want to be blind and overcome the weakness through feats and d&d gimmickry?

Fantasy archer: Blindness is just fluff when it comes to archery. Talk your DM into letting you use your bow normally without any special feats.
For the latter: Maximize your Listen. It takes a DC 40 check to pinpoint a creature within 30' - and you get 50% miss chance even then. Get feats that give you a bonus to Listen and help you reduce the effect of total concealment.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility

P.S. Remember that being blind halves your speed too. Blind-Fight feat raises this to 3/4.

I agree with [MENTION=20296]edhel[/MENTION] and suggest you talk to your DM about the concept. The rules seem to actively discourage playing something like this unfortunately.

Even if you take Hear the Unseen (CAdv) it's a DC 25 listen check as a move action and if they're trying to move silently they get a +15 on their check. :(

If you're going for "I'm a blind fantasy archer and my hearing is so awesome that it's better than eyesight!" I imagine your DM would let you play something like that without too many hoops to jump through.

Dandu

First Post
So I had this idea to try creating an archer who was blind; it seemed cool for roleplaying.
Someone who is purposefully blind (wears a blindfold) since eyesight is too limiting.

So far I can only come up with using zen archery, since it let's you attack targets you can hear but not see.
Also, I'm in a core only 3.5 E6 campaign, however pretty much all feats are available.
Any suggestions?
Psychic Warrior wielding a Bow of the Wintermoon with Synesthete and Strength of My Enemy.

Jacob

Explorer
I had this same thought in mind for a curious NPC as well with a Druid. He took levels of Rouge and Barbarian so he would have some advantage with his flat-footed AC via Improved Uncanny Dodge. I went about saying it worked out as such because of his back story, but even I have to admit it's a little sketchy. Did they ever give a stat block for Montolio, the blind Ranger whom Drizzt learned a thing or two from? Feel there's plenty to be drawn from that character. ;)

Remove ads