D&D 5E Starting a higher level campaign soon as a player: what to watch out for? What should my DM watch out for?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I have another question for me (hey, I started the thread, I'll ask questions that come up with other characters as the arise). Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are for spells to target single targets. I don't have a lot of these, but I have Shadow Blade and Animate Objects. I think I might have room to prepare one more spell. Any thoughts? I've told the group I am not the guy to do lots of damage, but ... I still want that option in a pinch. Thoughts?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I have another question for me (hey, I started the thread, I'll ask questions that come up with other characters as the arise). Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are for spells to target single targets. I don't have a lot of these, but I have Shadow Blade and Animate Objects. I think I might have room to prepare one more spell. Any thoughts? I've told the group I am not the guy to do lots of damage, but ... I still want that option in a pinch. Thoughts?

Took a look at My bladesinger's spell list and found a real lack of single target damage spells (other than firebolt and I guess booming blade counts).

I have shadow blade but haven't cast it in any fight worth mentioning (concentration is really precious!)

There's disintegrate, but I went with mass suggestion and contingency so haven't found room for it.

It's not damage, but a great single target spell with massive versatility - polymorph. It's a buff, debuff, utility and emergency healing all in one.

SteveC

If you don't mind, a question for those who've played at high levels: what kind of rest/encounter/adventuring days do you find to work best?

I know at lower levels, a six encounter day isn't really fun for me, but does this change at higher levels? I'm thinking that an average of two encounters per short rest makes sense, with four encounters in a typical day. But I don't know. Yes, I know the real answer is "whatever the fiction demands," but I'd like some mechanical thoughts. Ideas?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
If you don't mind, a question for those who've played at high levels: what kind of rest/encounter/adventuring days do you find to work best?

I know at lower levels, a six encounter day isn't really fun for me, but does this change at higher levels? I'm thinking that an average of two encounters per short rest makes sense, with four encounters in a typical day. But I don't know. Yes, I know the real answer is "whatever the fiction demands," but I'd like some mechanical thoughts. Ideas?

At high level - the PCs have many resources to dictate the pace of play. So whether you're going for 2 encounters, 4 encounters or however many - a high level group can frustrate that by anything from teleporting to using magnificent mansion or any number of other ways.

A good way to combat that is time pressure (which I find good for ALL levels of play but particularly important at high level). This doesn't mean all doom clocks all the time (that gets irritating fast), it simply means that if the group delays - things happen. A rival group gets to the goal first, an item the PCs wanted to buy goes off the market and yes, the occasional the ritual gets completed and the BBEG gets even tougher.

As to mechanics - it really depends what you put in the fights. 2 medium/hard encounters per short rest is likely to be a cakewalk for a high level party. Best at least 1 of those (or more) be deadly (which doesn't mean anyone dies - it just means larger resource expenditure). And unless your group is averse to long fights, waves of enemies work great for a high level party - makes them think twice before going even partially nova.

SteveC

At high level - the PCs have many resources to dictate the pace of play. So whether you're going for 2 encounters, 4 encounters or however many - a high level group can frustrate that by anything from teleporting to using magnificent mansion or any number of other ways.

A good way to combat that is time pressure (which I find good for ALL levels of play but particularly important at high level). This doesn't mean all doom clocks all the time (that gets irritating fast), it simply means that if the group delays - things happen. A rival group gets to the goal first, an item the PCs wanted to buy goes off the market and yes, the occasional the ritual gets completed and the BBEG gets even tougher.

As to mechanics - it really depends what you put in the fights. 2 medium/hard encounters per short rest is likely to be a cakewalk for a high level party. Best at least 1 of those (or more) be deadly (which doesn't mean anyone dies - it just means larger resource expenditure). And unless your group is averse to long fights, waves of enemies work great for a high level party - makes them think twice before going even partially nova.
Yep, these are really good points. The sad thing is that we're going in at level 12, so I don't have teleport until next level. In the previous campaign, we did a fight with a Draco Lich and the only reason there wasn't a TPK was teleport. So I will be hoping to get that spell back soon.

The DM for this game is really experienced in general, so he knows to put a ticking clock on everything. We are playing Shackled City so there's this literal volcano that's starting to tell us it's going to erupt. It will be good to note that the 2/rest/2 should be pretty easy. Our DM isn't certain on that, and until I see what the other party members can do, I'm not sure either. I am the GOD WIZARD, not DPS, so I'll have to see what our other party members can do in those terms. I'm really excited about the game, since it's an excellent adventure, shackled (hah, see what I did there!) to a rules system that has some issues at high levels. I think it's going to be better in 5E but we will have to see. At least our warlock won't have to roll spell resistance on every. Single. Attack. again.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yep, these are really good points. The sad thing is that we're going in at level 12, so I don't have teleport until next level. In the previous campaign, we did a fight with a Draco Lich and the only reason there wasn't a TPK was teleport. So I will be hoping to get that spell back soon.

The DM for this game is really experienced in general, so he knows to put a ticking clock on everything. We are playing Shackled City so there's this literal volcano that's starting to tell us it's going to erupt. It will be good to note that the 2/rest/2 should be pretty easy. Our DM isn't certain on that, and until I see what the other party members can do, I'm not sure either. I am the GOD WIZARD, not DPS, so I'll have to see what our other party members can do in those terms. I'm really excited about the game, since it's an excellent adventure, shackled (hah, see what I did there!) to a rules system that has some issues at high levels. I think it's going to be better in 5E but we will have to see. At least our warlock won't have to roll spell resistance on every. Single. Attack. again.

And with 5e, the rogue player won't be plotting to murder the DM because their PC is almost completely useless against 90%+ of the encounters (3e rogues had serious issues with undead).

I haven't seen Shackled City in 5e but remember it being an absolute meat grinder in 3e - wonder how it translates.

SteveC

I haven't seen Shackled City in 5e but remember it being an absolute meat grinder in 3e - wonder how it translates.
This is a good question. I think it will be better because I think (hope?) 5E will do a better job at the edges. My wizard (who was modeled after Octavia in Kingmaker if you're familiar with the cRPG) was just crazy over the top. Some of the other characters weren't able to do much of anything, and it the really tough combats that showed. One of the players just about rage quit after the last session. So we'll see. I intend to post about it once we get started, so I'll let folks be amused along with me (or will that be horrified? STAY TUNED, true believes!)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
This is a good question. I think it will be better because I think (hope?) 5E will do a better job at the edges. My wizard (who was modeled after Octavia in Kingmaker if you're familiar with the cRPG) was just crazy over the top. Some of the other characters weren't able to do much of anything, and it the really tough combats that showed. One of the players just about rage quit after the last session. So we'll see. I intend to post about it once we get started, so I'll let folks be amused along with me (or will that be horrified? STAY TUNED, true believes!)

I'm curious. the classes certainly seem viable even if the Barbarian/rogue combo can be a bit tricky ( though combining rage and uncanny dodge can be pretty ridiculous for durability).

SteveC

I'm curious. the classes certainly seem viable even if the Barbarian/rogue combo can be a bit tricky ( though combining rage and uncanny dodge can be pretty ridiculous for durability).
I am not sure on that one either but the player is experienced. Whenever I see something I don't initially see the design of but the player generally knows what they are doing, I trust them. Worst thing is two more magic items in the pool.

Remove ads