D&D 5E Builds for new players

ShogunAssassin

First Post
Im about to start running Out Of The Abyss with 4-6 newish players. I'm going to meet them individually over this month and help build there Chars. With the first session already being imprisoned by the drow unarmed and have them introduce themselves, form a party, escape and be let loose on the underdark.

Theres a good mix of experience from never played, to having played a campaign to around level 10 in 4e, most have played some 4e and a touch of 5e but dont own books and often are a little over whelmed with there characters.
What are some good suggestions that i can encourage for new players to gain a good grip of the rules and have a great timing playing DND?

Ill go first:

Sword & board Fighter going campion at level3

bid

First Post
Melee:
- Paladin and monk are easy.
- Barbarian has the rage mechanics and rogue need twf / SA, so harder.

Casters:
- Warlock is just an arcane archer.
- Cleric is easy with an out-of-combat domain (knowledge, life or nature).
- Wizard spellbook and sorcerer metamagic makes it harder.
- Bard has the hardest features.

Other
- Druid means learning multiple character sheets.
- Underdark druid / ranger break the concept.

I'd keep it to those 5 as the easiest:
- cleric (life)
- fighter (champion)
- monk (open hand)
- paladin (devotion)
- warlock (chain)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'd say make two of each of the 'simplest' characters to choose from: Fighter (sword/board Champion and greatweapon, uh... not-Wizard-one), Rogue (Thief/Archer and Assassin), Cleric (Life and Light), and maybe a Sorcerer (Dragon) and a Warlock (... dealer's choice; your player's play-style will steer her to which of the three) to choose from. Have an NPC Wizard/Sage 'mouthpiece' who generally hangs back and demonstrates how 'traditional' magic works, in case one of your players is drawn to Wizard.

For a beginner game, I'd keep everyone as standard human to start - less need to get into the RP-pants straight away.

Last edited:

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
As prisoners, the PCs will be w/o their gear. I'd suggest, if a player wants to be a wizard, that he/she use tattoos for the "spell-book". Their drow captors would be unlikely to recognize the tattoos as spells, and the PC would be limited to low-level spells w/o material components until such items can be obtained.

Remove ads