• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bulls Strength and Gauntlets of Ogre Power..

Raflar

First Post
I know that similar bonuses do not stack, however I ran into a situation with my group and we can't agree on...

If you are wearing Gaunltets of Ogre Strength (or Belt of Giant Str) which requires the Bulls Strength spell to create, can you stack an actual Bull Strength spell on the owner of the strength enhancing item???

In short do GoOS and BS stack?

The Souljourner

First Post
It's not similar bonuses, it is simply that bonuses of the same type (luck, divine, armor, enhancement) do not stack (except for dodge bonuses, which always stack, and circumstance bonuses, which stack if the circumstances are different). Unnamed bonuses always stack with everything.

Gauntlets of Ogre Power give a +2 enhancement bonus to strength. Bull's Strength gives an enhancement bonus to strength (1d4+1 for 3.0, +4 for 3.5). If both are affecting you (it's perfectly fine to have both affecting you, even multiple bull's strength are fine) then only the highest enhancement bonus actually does anything. So if you get +4 from the bull's strength and +2 from the gauntlets, then you just get +4.

There are a couple sections on bonuses stacking in the PHB and DMG that pretty much just say what I've said here.

-The Souljourner

dravot

First Post
The Souljourner said:
It's not similar bonuses, it is simply that bonuses of the same type (luck, divine, armor, enhancement) do not stack (except for dodge bonuses, which always stack, and circumstance bonuses, which stack if the circumstances are different). Unnamed bonuses always stack with everything.

Gauntlets of Ogre Power give a +2 enhancement bonus to strength. Bull's Strength gives an enhancement bonus to strength (1d4+1 for 3.0, +4 for 3.5). If both are affecting you (it's perfectly fine to have both affecting you, even multiple bull's strength are fine) then only the highest enhancement bonus actually does anything. So if you get +4 from the bull's strength and +2 from the gauntlets, then you just get +4.
-The Souljourner
It's not the worst thing in the world to have the spell cast on top of your gauntlets either. You get the benefit of the spell, and if someone drops a dispel magic on you, you still have the guantlets to back you up.

Darklone

Had a fighter in one group... he always had 3 Bulls strength on himself in 3.0... :D

Just once all of them got dispelled.

Raflar

First Post
The Souljourner said:

Thanks. That's what I was trying to get across to my group. Now one man's voice gets a little louder with people (and rules) backing him up... :)

Remove ads