[Burning THAC0] B2: The Keep on the Borderlands (ooc/setup)

Mathalus

First Post
1. Get into trouble.
2. Offend the church.
3. Threaten innocents with tales of horror.
4. Get ridiculously drunk, and awaken in the arms of a stranger.
5. Steal someone's personal treasures because...

I wanted to talk to that friar a bit about the evils of the borderlands and also about this militant order he belongs too. I was waiting for engrishonly to get back on my roll, but I'll try to get something up in the IC thread to keep things moving. Other than that, a good night's sleep. I also would be keeping a watchful eye on Constance to see if any trouble arises at the tavern...

Definitely keep talking to that Friar. He seems like he has some good info. Ask around for rumors. After Engrishonly gets back to it, you two should just go to town in the Tavern. I'll be imbuing and sleeping, and you two can just spam back and forth to your hearts' content.

Definitely keep talking to that Friar. He seems like he has some good info. Ask around for rumors. After Engrishonly gets back to it, you two should just go to town in the Tavern. I'll be imbuing and sleeping, and you two can just spam back and forth to your hearts' content.

I don't have any skills to help, but I will have a loose tongue so it might be time to try Beginner's Luck with some kind of social skill.

engrishonly

First Post
How about "Constance is a good person but she's walking down the wrong path. It is my duty to keep her out of trouble whether she likes it or not."

Yeah, this is cool. Should work to mine a good amount of arthas.

Also, how about the Traladar/Thyatis theme in this?

The Keep is a projection of Thyatan power from the city of Specularum, and the heart of the Grand Duchy.

I'm kind of looking at the whole thing going on in Egypt, and also having the Iranian revolution in the back of my mind... be careful what you wish for.

Not that a reclamation by the native population leads to problems, but there's no guarantees that taking things "back in time" to the old days will make the future anything like the idealized past.

Offending the Church... well, the Friar could be a kind of outsider, in the way of the Traladarans. The Keep has a Chapel dedicated to the Church of Karameikos... so there's an inherent tension there.

Other trouble for Constance... I am thinking about her sister, but I don't want to waste her on a stupid non-event. She should be in something fun ;)

Trouble in the tavern... well, the Dwarf could do that through Drunking. Constance could do it through her tales of the unknown, I guess.

Anyway, reformulating ideas as Avros gets into it. I'm not quite ready for an IC post, but I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

Voidrazor

First Post
What are y'all interested in doing before morning?

I'm interested in getting the houses plot going. Perhaps the madman could say something about the 'bandits' being Robin Hood-esque turtles. George RR Martin's House Umber might fit well here, big guys sort of like one a Scottish clan in that they seem barbaric but are ruled by the dictates of honor.

That or maybe a chance to make good on V.'s threats to Corporal Georg, after getting clothes.

engrishonly

First Post
I'm interested in getting the houses plot going. Perhaps the madman could say something about the 'bandits' being Robin Hood-esque turtles.

I didn't really want the "Bandits" to be Bandits. The Chevaliers represent a militant kind of Thyatan suppression of rivals & natives.

How does House Tlielaxu fit with the native Traladaran thing? How about the Church of Karameikos?

Okay, I'd better get to the IC thread now...

Voidrazor

First Post
I figure the Tliel'laxu spy circle would be watching and waiting for an opportunity rather than actively messing with things at this point. If they have a skin dancer on the scene s/he would probably be acting as a porter for the Chevaliers, staying beneath notice while secretly possessing the skins to change identities at a plot appropriate moment.

The Church is probably doing the whole velvet glove and iron fist thing. They most likely encourage the Chevaliers excesses. But peaceful missionaries also try to convince Traladarans that their gods are all aspect of the one true God. So, given that, converting and avoiding all that horrible persecution is just the sensible thing to do.

Mathalus

First Post
Engrishonly, do you mind if I set up a wiki for us on the Burning Wiki site? It might make it easier to keep all of these threads straight. I spent a little while plowing through our various threads looking for stuff and we are starting to generate a lot of deets.

engrishonly

First Post
Engrishonly, do you mind if I set up a wiki for us on the Burning Wiki site? It might make it easier to keep all of these threads straight. I spent a little while plowing through our various threads looking for stuff and we are starting to generate a lot of deets.

Yeah, a wiki area would be cool.

Also, regarding the Persuasion test against the Captain... I can't "Say No" and not allow a test, but to summon an entire cadre of heavy cavalry via Persuasion is too much for a test you have a fair shot at winning.

Going through DoW isn't necessarily sensible, but I would have to be specific about what dice are allowable & what dice the Captain can use.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Also, regarding the Persuasion test against the Captain... I can't "Say No" and not allow a test, but to summon an entire cadre of heavy cavalry via Persuasion is too much for a test you have a fair shot at winning.

I don't care if we do a persuasion test or not, but it's clear we have all not yet come together in terms of what we want this game to be. My concept was a social character, because the original pitch was for a sandbox game -- Constance's chances for social tests go out the bucket when we leave town, especially since we're can't get them done in town. So I don't care if it's lie or persuade or intimidate, or (as seems to be the case) nothing. I'm happy to rp talking to individuals if that's going to do anything. But I need to know if I'm just not being clear enough in my intentions, or if I am being clear, what the result is.

Right now I feel we're all struggling to do anything. Which is fair enough, since we're just meeting each other, and don't know each other's play styles. But there are things than need answers. One character has no clothes. The player chose that (not buying clothes was a choice), and it needs to be dealt with. Another wants armor because we fear we are going to be outclassed if we head off hunting. We're either going to get those things, or we're not. I understand if the answer's no -- we chose not to invest our 3 lifepaths worth of stuff in clothing or armor. But I feel we need to be guided here: call for a roll, or tell the elf to put on a dress, or say there's a single leather breastplate for the lot of us; or tell me I'm way off the mark here.

If our goal is just to get past the rp stuff to go kill things, I've got the wrong character. But I feel I'm not on the same page as everyone else right now, and I'd like to fix that.

Remove ads