• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign Cartogrpaher 3

Steel_Wind

Legend
A serious question for a moment:

What is it that you guys like about CC2 and hope to enjoy even more in CC3? I confess, I do not see the attraction in these programs in terms of their output but...I reserve the right to be skooled.

Skool me, please. :D

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
TheAuldGrump said:
Hmmm, it has not shown up for sale yet on the PF website... ah well, back to waiting...

The Auld Grump
If you are a regestered user you can log in to the PF site and there is link for purchase of download version.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Steel_Wind said:

What is it that you guys like about CC2 and hope to enjoy even more in CC3? I confess, I do not see the attraction in these programs in terms of their output but...I reserve the right to be skooled.

General mapping making, zooming and linking of maps, I can build a very detaited map, which becomes more of an atlas to visualize my world and setting.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Steel_Wind said:

Hmmm, speaking only for myself, I liked the number of tools available to create maps in CC2, but hated the learning cliff. That said, I was able to produce good maps when I borrowed a friend's copy (he was giving up on it) when he saw what could be done he took it back. In this case it has more to do with my friend being lazy than the difficulties of the program, his hand drawn maps were nothing to write home about either...

As for mapping programs in general, they make my life easier. I can create a good looking map (at least as good as I can draw by hand) in a good deal less time. I can save it as a graphics file and call it up in Word Perfect or (increasingly) Page Plus to use in whatever I am working on at hand.

But most importantly, and possibly the least universal reason, I just like mapping. :) I create maps that I have no need for, and can pull them out when a need does arise. (An older, free, mapping program called Dungeon Crafter is my preferred tool for, ummm, dungeon doodling. :p) CC2 was a bit too complex for this, if I was mapping I was putting too much thought into using the software rather than into creating the map. With Fractal Mapper (and the Fool's added tools for making towns) I can doodle a town or three in an evening, so this is my other big doodling program.

The Auld Grump

shaylon

First Post
OK. I am a Dundjinni user. The website says that I will be able to buy it at an early adopter price after 6/15/06. How do I do this? Nowhere that I can see is it available for sale. I read the CC2 upgrader's instructions but I do not qualify for that.

Anyone have any idea how I can buy this thing?

-Shay

Mercule

Adventurer
Steel_Wind said:

I like using printer ink instead of skads of colored pencils. No, really. I'm plenty competant with hand-drawn maps -- probably at the lower end of being able to do it for pay. But, I get tired of the hand cramps. And heaven help you if you make a mistake (aargh!).

Also, there's time. CC2/3 isn't exactly insta-map territory, and it can be hard to learn (heck, I had it for a year before I finally decided, a couple months ago, that I was gonna learn it for real). But, it can speed up the process. CC3 looks to be even better at this with some of the new tools (wallpapered forests).

Scalability is an issue, too. If I draw a map on typing paper (pretty common) and later decide I want to posterize it (not uncommon), I've got my choice of taping a bunch of sheets together, tracing (and recoloring) it onto a larger sheet, or taking it to Kinko's and paying $20 for them to copy it (while hoping they get it in the right place). For any of those choices, there's a headache factor and the likelyhood that it's not going to look quite like I want it to.

There are similar scaling issues for extending the map off the page, zooming in, or zooming out. Using a vector/CAD tool makes all of those pretty moot.

Finally, it's easy to save it on the computer, with all my other notes. I can also export to various file formats to embed in Word, web, or email.

D'karr

Adventurer
Steel_Wind said:

For me it's simple, I love to create maps. It fascinates me. I've had that love of maps since grade school when some of my school projects had me tracing maps from the encyclopedia using wax paper, as an overlay, and coloring pencils.

CC2 allows me some of the same creative freedom.

CC2 allowed me to start with a global map, go to a regional map, then to a local map and drill down to a site-specific map. It kept the detail from map to map, which saved me time. I could even do that in reverse. Without any loss of detail. It also allowed me to quickly use its tools to create cities, divide them by political/power areas, create sewers underneath my city that easily conformed to the size of my city, etc.

All of those things I could have done with pencil/pen and paper. The only problem was upgradability. If I wanted to go from my local map to a regional map I had to recreate the coast and scale it, from scratch, a considerable hassle. With CC2 it is a matter of 3 clicks/commands and I'm all scaled up or down.

One thing that CC2 couldn't do was handle transparency, that was a major pain in the tookus, specially for site maps, because if you needed it you had to "fake it". Ever try to show a shallow pond with a chest at the bottom? Then you know what I mean.

Some people like "paint" programs to do their mapping. I've seem some fantastic drawings made with those. The part that was missing was the upgradability factor. Paint programs lose detail (pixelate) as you get closer to the objects. That was always a problem for me. So for some time I was using CC2 for the map and a paint program for the "post-production" work.

Now, CC3 combines the best parts of CC2 and a paint program. I can use symbols based on bitmaps that have transparency, or change color based on the currently selected color. I can import bitmaps directly and use them as symbols, etc. And I can still use the vector functions of CC3 to handle scalability, etc. In addition, it has some wonderful functions that allow it to create visual effects based on the sheet an object is placed on, similar to what you can do with "layers" in a paint program.

Add to that a fantastic user community and the best customer support I've ever seen and IMO CC3 is a tough act to follow. That is the overarching reason why I'm so excited about CC2 and the new CC3 upgrade.

Last edited:

Droogie

Explorer
I'm having trouble with it. Getting polys to display the bitmap fills you want seems to be a crapshoot. I'm thinking there are lots of bugs that still need to be squashed. the program doesn't seem to like the taste of converted cc2 maps, although I can make fancy new maps in cc3 ok. For now, I'm going to keep using cc2. :(

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
If you are a regestered user you can log in to the PF site and there is link for purchase of download version.
I am a registered user of Fractal Mapper - what I want to see is the offer to upgrade from Fractal Mapper, not C C 2. Kind of hard to upgrade from a program that you do not have, eh?

The Auld Grump, and the offer to upgrade from FM is mentioned on the CC3 site, but no link.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
shaylon said:
OK. I am a Dundjinni user. The website says that I will be able to buy it at an early adopter price after 6/15/06. How do I do this? Nowhere that I can see is it available for sale. I read the CC2 upgrader's instructions but I do not qualify for that.

Anyone have any idea how I can buy this thing?

-Shay
I see someone posted your question is on the mail list but no answer yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads