Campaign Length

What is the longest campaign you've played in on a regular basis?

• > 1 year

Votes: 23 12.1%
  • 1 - 2 Years

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • 2 - 4 Years

Votes: 65 34.2%
  • 5 - 10 Years

Votes: 36 18.9%
  • 10 - 15 Years

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • 15+ Years

Votes: 6 3.2%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Longest campaign run - almost 12 years.
Longest campaign played in - a bit over 10 years.
Average* of campaigns run - a bit over 10 years
Average* of campaigns played in - hard so say, as some are still ongoing; guess at 8 years.

* - ignoring one-offs and - as player - campaigns that failed after just a few sessions.

Only one of those had anything to do with FR, that being my Riveria game which used a heavily modified (i.e. almost unrecognizable) FR as its setting.

Lanefan

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
The longest campaign in which I have ever played lasted for about eighteen months - my first Third Edition game, a Planescape campaign.

The average length of the campaigns in which I have played would be about three months, stretching to six months if you eliminate every instance of a game falling apart after a couple of sessions because of changing schedules and the like.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
sckeener said:
When people say their campaign has been going on for 15+ years they are really talking about playing in the same world....a never ending soap opera adventure or a series of books that never end until the author dies and someone else finishes the tale *cough* Jordan....
Not in my case. Same set of characters, same timeline, no "let's go run other PCs in the same world" digressions. We converted the PCs over from 2e. We use slow advancement and play every other week, and PCs level about once every 12-15 sessions give or take. The highest lvl PC is 23, soon to turn 24.

I'm planning on ending the campaign as folks hit lvl 25. *twitch*

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Minor nitpick for the poll author: option 1 as written cnrrently reads "greater than" 1 year, where you probably wanted "less than".....

Lanefan

Hussar

Legend
Longest was also the World's Largest Dungeon (although if you went by hours played, rather than calendar days, then my 1e days would definitely be longer), with about 2 years.

On average, camps have lasted about a year to two for me.

thatdarnedbob

First Post
Since I am a college gamer, a lot of my campaigns are built around the academic year. My game with other band members will wrap up around the beginning of May, as most of us will be out of town for the summer and want to take the opportunity to switch over to 4e anyway. My game with dorm buddies will end around the same time, as three of the players are graduating. Both of these started in the fall. I had a chance to run a solid 3 year game with some others in my year, but dropped that because they annoyed me greatly.

JLXC

First Post
With full groups of four or more, I believe 5 years was the longest regular play, even though it still comes back now and then. On a smaller scale I still play in a game with one other guy that has lastest over ten years, and sometimes has included other players, but the two of us have always played it.

The Eternal GM

First Post
My longest would be two years (two seasons) of Star Trek:TNG using the original LUG books. In fairness it was shared GM rotation between three of us, and two players who never GM, so no one was responsible for all that work alone!

Recently we returned to the cast & crew... Set post-Nemesis. But there's a lot of changes to the series, our player table and so on. So I don't really count it as a continuation of the original. More a sequel.

Otherwise, our games sadly don't last as long as we'd like. Usually about 3 months since I have severe GM ADHD... We've done longer here and there. But 3 months is likely our standard sadly.

Remove ads