• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Campaign Settings 5e- Why I want to Forget the Realms

Dimitrios

First Post
I can go to TGI Fridays, order a cheeseburger, then take everything off it, bring it home re cook it, add my own topings and buns... or I could just make myself my own burger...

I guess it's a matter of what one uses a published setting for. To me the more apt analogy would be going to TGI Fridays, ordering a cheesburger, and then not putting ketchup on it even though they left a bottle of ketchup on the table.

I use published setting material for the maps, cities, and adventure hooks. I never really bothered with NPCs.

Irennan

Explorer
I think it just goes to a matter of taste.

At the end of the day, most disagreements over this kind of stuff boil down to that. You try to show other people what you see in something that makes you love it, but if other people just don't like that (and I'm quite sure that they have their own valid reasons to do so), then the discussion won't go anywhere.

And I know that it sucks to see something you love getting basically ignored and forgotten, so I can see where you are coming from, regarding the other settings.

pollico

First Post
In my mind, the setting is full of generic, uninspired stuff. There are lots of people, cultures, gods, heroes and so, but it is all inconexed, out of contest and without any logic.
You can argue that FR has lots of info, but almost all of it is of no use. Seriously, it can't even explain the simplest tings. Its full of tropes and silly stuff. You can't even take it seriously.

But it all doesn't matter: I will enjoy playing in it, because the setting is only half of the fun. If only I will always prefer playing anywhere better. But this FR-fanatics who wields the lore as a weapon to crush other people? That's not a healthy way of playing, I think...

Last edited:

Irennan

Explorer
Maybe, but the discussion itself can be enjoyable! I will not be running FR after this thread, but I believe that I have learned a lot, and I have enjoyed reading this conversation immensely. So long as there is a minimum level of respect, the discussion itself is often worthwhile.

Oh, yes, when the discussion doesn't become tense or spiteful, it is enjoyable. What I was saying is that if someone just deosn't like something, it is good to show them what you see in that something, but, unless the dislike completely comes from misinformation, it is really unlikely that they will change their taste.

cmad1977

Hero
I complained about ALL the chosen and ALL the big npcs... SO IT ISNT NOBODY!!! Now why didn't I mention them all by name? Because I don't want to spend the time researching stuff I don't like...if I was going to research 500+ books (novels and supliments) I would like the realms and use it... We are talking el munchkin because he is the worst...

Weird. I don't have any of those NPCs in my FR games. Did I get a broken FR?

epithet

Explorer
I can go to TGI Fridays, order a cheeseburger, then take everything off it, bring it home re cook it, add my own topings and buns... or I could just make myself my own burger...

I don't run the realms, the last time I tried was the beginning of 3.5. I did play in 4e because everyone of the problems I had went by by in 4e...

in 5e I am not interested in it... I came to a thread about dislikeing FR I don't expect to be told how I can change it...

You have 15 hours left to get in on the Primeval Thule 5e kickstarter!

For $20 you'll get pdf versions of the complete setting, 5 full adventures, a DM companion book, and a player companion book. Savage barbarians and the scions of drowned Atlantis struggle to survive in jungles where the spawn of eldritch horrors stalk, and thrive in cities of splendid corruption and licentious delight! Explore a doomed continent to gain wealth and power in the ruins of dead civilizations! Pledge now so I can enjoy the last few stretch goals! Hurry!

I promise* you'll like it better then the Forgotten Realms!

* I make no guarantee that you'll actually like this product. I think it's pretty cool, so I got in on the kickstarter and I'm really just trying to get you to buy in so we can get another stretch goal. In other words, if you buy it and it sucks, you're on your own. But hey, you're only out $20, so what are you waiting for?

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
hussar said:
It honestly looks more like complaints about something just because it's popular.

That’s exactly what it is.

Thank you for trying to assign motivations to those of us who dislike the FR; and by "thank you" I mean "Your position on my feelings is not only wrong, but nearly insulting."

My dislike of the FR has nothing to do with its popularity. Back when Greyhawk was all the rage, I loved it- and it wasn't despite its popularity; its popularity was irrelevant to my feelings. My dislike of the FR- and I speak only for myself, since I know that there are many reasons to dislike anything- is born from a host of factors, several of which I mentioned upthread. The Mary Sues, the "we'll shoehorn anything in here!" aesthetic, the fact that it is and probably always will be the same cast of NPCs, no matter how often they die, go to Hell or advance time a century or two, the fact that there is (IMHO) almost nothing original in the whole setting, the fact that the tone is so... syrupy, the fact that there are periodic FR-shaking events used every time there's an edition change, the fact that... well, I could go on, but I'm not trying to persuade anyone of anything other than to stop casting aspersions at the motivations of others for liking or disliking what they do.

Thank you for trying to assign motivations to those of us who dislike the FR; and by "thank you" I mean "Your position on my feelings is not only wrong, but nearly insulting."

My dislike of the FR has nothing to do with its popularity. Back when Greyhawk was all the rage, I loved it- and it wasn't despite its popularity; its popularity was irrelevant to my feelings. My dislike of the FR- and I speak only for myself, since I know that there are many reasons to dislike anything- is born from a host of factors, several of which I mentioned upthread. The Mary Sues, the "we'll shoehorn anything in here!" aesthetic, the fact that it is and probably always will be the same cast of NPCs, no matter how often they die, go to Hell or advance time a century or two, the fact that there is (IMHO) almost nothing original in the whole setting, the fact that the tone is so... syrupy, the fact that there are periodic FR-shaking events used every time there's an edition change, the fact that... well, I could go on, but I'm not trying to persuade anyone of anything other than to stop casting aspersions at the motivations of others for liking or disliking what they do.
I HATE when people pretend my thought can be thrown out because of a motive I don't have "I don't dislike popular things I dislike the realms" so thank you for writing this better then I normally do

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
What an odd thing to say.

I don’t know about you, but I didn’t see—nor did I agree with—the following statement: “All people who dislike or complain about the Realms do so only because the setting is popular.”

What I agreed with was this: “It honestly looks more like complaints about something just because it's popular.” –a statement, mind, made at the end of a multi-paragraph post that quoted somebody else, not you, Jester.

In my time online I’ve seen people who are happy to jump on the hate bandwagon, fling poo at anyone who likes something, then adopt the stance of the aggrieved party when the poo gets thrown back, which they use to justify stirring things up even more.

I’ve also seen people like you who honestly don’t like something.

So relax. Though I can't speak for Hussar, I am pretty sure he wasn't talking to you. And neither was I.

Remove ads