• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign site; Easy on the eyes?

Which combo is easiest on the eyes?

• Black text on white background

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • White text on black background

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Dark text on light background

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Light text on dark background

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%

javapadawan

First Post
I'm in the process of redoing my campaign site, but I'm having an awful time trying to decide on a new color scheme. I was hoping folks here might be willing to comment on what they find easiest for reading...

Ace

Adventurer
javapadawan said:
I'm in the process of redoing my campaign site, but I'm having an awful time trying to decide on a new color scheme. I was hoping folks here might be willing to comment on what they find easiest for reading...

I think the site is pretty good as is. Also I love the magic items I am now in a low magic game and I am going to have my charcter make a couple of these for the part next session. Good show

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Studies have shown that the easiest reading combination is light text on a dark background. Bright backgrounds strain the eye, as does high contrast.

That said, my site uses dark text on a light background and I think it's okay. I dislike light text on dark because I like pages to more or less resemble print pages. Just me.

More importantly is the banishing of background images and patterns -- those do more harm than any colour scheme ever could. Plain backgrounds for your text, PLEASE.

Siridar

First Post
Dark text on a light background.

As long as the background isn't so light that it becomes bright it should be okay.

I think background images can be useful if they don't contain too many contrasting elements (ie: starfields, heavily contrasting cloudy stuff with lightning bolts all over the place, really detailed images, etc..) If you use an image just make sure the background image is subdued and doesn't pull too much attention to it. You want people to read the content, not look at a pretty picture. That's what art gallery pages are for.

I use a light background image (parchment) with basically a darker version of it for the text. (Check my sig for the link)
Brown text > beige background.

Eosin the Red

First Post
I prefer a light but not white background with dark text. Some sites can pull off the dark bg with light text but a large minority look cheap.

javapadawan

First Post
Thanks for the compliments Ace; though I can't take credit for the magic items myself. A fellow on the DND-L list was just kind enough to let me post them.

Thanks to everyone else who commented and voted. The way it stands right now, it looks like dark text on light background "won", so I think I'll go with that. :)

Remove ads