• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign Thoughts & Feedback

BSF

Explorer
Yeah, we have Administrivia, but that is for specific rules. We also have Campaign Backgrounds, but that is more for world flavor. This thread is for thoughts and feedback. I want to know what things you think about the game that would make it more enjoyable for you.

So, I will post up questions. Maybe you will post up answers? Maybe you will post up unsolicited thoughts as well?

What would make the game more fun?

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
Magic Items

I tend not to run a particularly heavy magic item game. I am often running on the low side of character wealth. This really isn't all that intentional. I just don't often put magic items into the game without a purpose. One of the reasons why I chose to use the Artificer's Handbook for magic item creation was to kill the reliance on exp for magic items. In turn, this is supposed to make magic items a little more accessible. Well, to those with wealth and connections it does.

But I want this campaign to grow larger than life. While I don't think PCs should be defined by their magic items, it is also true that magic items are fun to play with. So what I am asking is what are the three magic items you think would be most interesting/fun to see in the game? I'm not making any promises, but I am curious what you are thinking.

Kultar

First Post
For Tyrm the Staff that I have talked about, Ring of Sustinance, Something fun and off the wall.

For the group maybe a magic bow that shoots light arrows for Ayla, a magical trident with power over the weather at sea for Oceaus, and some other magical item that has odd but interesting powers.

In all honesty though magical item creation still confuses me and I am not overly keen on outsourcing their creation. It adds to the character for me when they make what they use or somebody in the party made it. Though it just might be my unfamiliarity with the new magic item creation rules.

BSF

Explorer
The magic item creation rules are much more held in line with what any given spellcaster can cast rather than just being an exp sink. Generally speaking, straightforward, one-purpose items are fairly cheap and easy to create. It is items that have multiple purposes built into them that get complicated.

Creating a +1 sword, or a wand of magic missile is easy. Creating a Staff of Power is most easily accomplished by a cadre of Sorcerors - very high level Sorcerors.

I agree with this underlying philosophy because it makes more sense. A Staff of Power should be relatively rare. Simple items and one-shot items should be much more accessible.

The difference in creation feats do change the game a little bit. Since you have to build up your proficiency to create powerful items, you don't have specialized artificers. Somebody that can imbue a sword with multiple energy affects and a strong enhancement bonus for combat (Like creating a +3 Flaming, Acid-Burst longsword) can also create minor one-use items, or straightforward Gauntlets of Ogre Power. It does mean that if you want to create powerful magic items, you need to plan ahead and work toward that goal. This is something else I like about the system.

Learning the system isn't quite as straightforward as the RAW. But I think it works a little better. Besides, in the end you don't get to decide how an item is priced out. I have to decide that. The RAW are great guidelines but there are many places where they can be broken. It always requires DM adjudication unless you are only using creation feats to emulate book equipment.

If you want to eventually begin building powerful magic items, it should be part of your character concept and you should be working toward it early. That way you can devote your feat slots toward that goal as efficiently as possible. If you just want to eventually dabble in a few scrolls or charms, then take the create one-use item feat when you are ready.

injuredwyvern

First Post
Ceru has been taking magic item creation feats, and will pretty soon be able to create some permenant effects (like +1 weapons). I intend to continue on this course and be able to create more effective items, though as David mentioned, this relys on wealth rather than experience. While I prefer it that way, we still need to compile a good amount of cash to really start making items.

Macbeth

First Post
I had so many ideas, I made three lists!

Three items just for Li: Monk's Belt, Psychic Storing crystal (the one that essentially stores strain), and some even more badass stuff for his nagamaki (same nagamaki, just with some extra powers, perhaps Flaming or Keen).

Three Items for the Campaign as a Whole: Wand/Scroll/Anything of Teleport, Lyre of Building (too supe up the manor), and new magic weapons/armor for everybody (not one item, I know.)

Three Items to make it 'interesting': POrtable Hole, Deck of Many Things, another Deck of Many Things. ;)

BSF

Explorer
Macbeth said:
Three Items to make it 'interesting': POrtable Hole, Deck of Many Things, another Deck of Many Things. ;)

You know, I have a prop for Deck of Many Things. I haven't had a group find one of those in over a decade, though they are almost always somewhere in a campaign world.

Look around.

Lyre of Building - Cool little item. In the game I play in, my PC will be making one. You do need some ranks in Perform (Stringed Instruments) to really make it work though.

Macbeth

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
Lyre of Building - Cool little item. In the game I play in, my PC will be making one. You do need some ranks in Perform (Stringed Instruments) to really make it work though.
I figure Fewlix more then likely either already has the skill, or could pick it up if we had need for it.

BSF

Explorer
Well sure, he has skill points galore. Whether Felix has interest in Perform might be a concern, but if he wanted to pick it up, I imagine he wouldn't be too bad.

Of course, some of the Charisma freaks in the party could do pretty OK with just a few ranks too.

Remove ads