Campaign World Advice

rounser

First Post
Skullport could provide the central "civilised" hub of an underground campaign. It's small enough to not overwhelm you, packed with adventure, and the supplement does an excellent job of making it very well fleshed out.

yipwyg

First Post
I came to our group one evening with Green Ronin's Hammer and Helm. Two of my players are huge fans of dwarves, so when I mentioned the possiblity of doing an all dwarf camapaign they immediately liked it. The other two thought it would be interesting as well.

The city they are going to look for is the fabled Mar-Namor (It is mentioned in Hammer and Helm).

In that book it is said that the dwarves turned to the art of necromancy, they then created an army of undead to help defend against the mind flayer army. The dwarves that turned to the dark arts eventually betrayed the others and fled the city. The city of Mar-Namor then fell to the Mind Flayers.

I am going to alter this a bit, saying that the dwarven necromancers were a secret sect in the city. They were actually in league with the mind flayers, and as they fled took the three sacred stones created by the forge god and given to the dwarven race. The decendants of this sect will be what today is thought of as dark dwarves. Thinking either Druegor or Derro. I plan on making these dwarven necromancers worship Orcus either using the standard cleric, or the thautamerge (sp) from Green Ronin.

yipwyg

First Post
FR is pretty cool. I have the campaign setting and Magic of Faerun.

I also have The Hunt: Rise of Evil.

Two of my players are pretty picky though.

They like FR as long as major NPC's are really scarce.

They did not like The Hunt though Because of the dream element. However take that element away and it would still leave a good place to do a campaign. hmmm interesting.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
[spam]

You could always surf around at the campaign links in some people's sigs!

[/spam]

Also, ENWorld has a couple of hosted sites that have free stuff: http://www.enworld.org/ (check out the hosted sites list on the lower left column).

I've heard nothing but postive things about Bluffside.

I'm not a fan of the FR, but it does have a lot of support for it. Also, the patchwork nature of the FR makes it easy to plop in whatever stuff you feel like plopping.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I say go homebrewed, starting small with a city book (Bluffside or Freeport) and then expand on that. Build your world myth and send your players out into the world you created.

As I said start small, the players only need to know general information and more detailed as they adventure.

----

I like Scarred Lands but am looking forward to the Iron Kingdoms for a different flavor.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Since you mentioned mind flayers, you might be interested in this excerpt from my homebrew setting:

"Mind Flayer
These beings originated on the planet Calturus. It is wrong to see them as a normal, independent species like human - rather, they are a strage type of parasites. Their tadpole-like larvae are put on a living host body, where it will burrow into the skin and slowly transform its host into a mind flayer over the course of a month (a cure disease spell can reverse the process). The common, basically humanoid form of the mind flayer is the result of putting a larvae into a humanoid host (like humans, elves, hobgoblins...), but other combinations are possible - in fact, few living beings can not be infected. The only constants are the slimy skin, and the bulbous head with four tentacles hanging from it.
Only the most learned of sages might know what kind of beings were used by the mind flayers on their home world."

In other words, you could combine the general abilities of mind flayers with those of almost any other creature, from kobolds to dragons. This can come as quite a shock to PCs who are only familiar with the normal "humanoid" type.

Hmmm. I think I will have to create a template for this one day...

Remove ads