• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a 20th level caster get a 30 caster level?

Stalker0

Legend
Its always been there but I never thought about it. A +10 weapon in the dmg requires a 30 caster level to create. Is that possible without epic rules or is that a weapon that only epic characters can make?

Stalker0 said:
Its always been there but I never thought about it. A +10 weapon in the dmg requires a 30 caster level to create. Is that possible without epic rules or is that a weapon that only epic characters can make?

Umm...

Considering that you can't have a +10 weapon without epic rules, why would you need to create one without epic rules?

Remember, the whole "caster level must be 3 times the bonus" applies only to actual bonus, not equivalent bonus. A +5 keen holy rapier has 7 "plusses-worth" of benefits, but it's only a +5 sword, and only requires a caster level of 15.

Crothian

First Post
Stalker0 said:

If one allows enough optional rules and potentially very strong sources it very well can be possible

Thanee

First Post
Easily. Well, ok, maybe not easily, but very well possible.

Archmage alone can provide a +5 to caster level and there are several other classes and feats, spells, magic items, which improve caster level in some way.

Bye
Thanee

Bill Muench

First Post
Thanee said:
Easily. Well, ok, maybe not easily, but very well possible.

Archmage alone can provide a +5 to caster level and there are several other classes and feats, spells, magic items, which improve caster level in some way.

Bye
Thanee

Yeah. Heck, my Clr17 has gotten to CL 30 on rare occasions. All it takes is Core + Complete and a bard ally/cohort.

Base CL 17
Orange Ioun Stone +1
Karma Bead +4
Divine Spell Power +4
Bard ally casts Hymn of Praise (CV p152), adds +2
Bard ally casts Harmonic Chorus (CV p150), adds +2
= CL 30

The nice thing about CL 30 spells is that they can't be dropped with Greater Dispel Magic unless the dispeller has the Inquisition domain, since the highest dispel check you can get with Greater Dispel Magic is 40, and CL 31 requires a 41.

TheGogmagog

First Post
There is also the Candle of Invocation, there's another +4 for divine casters.

Mouseferatu said:
Remember, the whole "caster level must be 3 times the bonus" applies only to actual bonus, not equivalent bonus. A +5 keen holy rapier has 7 "plusses-worth" of benefits, but it's only a +5 sword, and only requires a caster level of 15.
Hmm, my common sense is tingling. I can't find the relevant text in SRD however.

dcollins

Explorer
SRD:

The caster level of a weapon with a special ability is given in the item description. For an item with only an enhancement bonus and no other abilities, the caster level is three times the enhancement bonus. If an item has both an enhancement bonus and a special ability, the higher of the two caster level requirements must be met.

A single weapon cannot have a modified bonus (enhancement bonus plus special ability bonus equivalents) higher than +10.

Note the difference between "enhancement bonus" and "modified bonus".

Or, to quote from the DMG directly (emphasis mine):

If an item has both an enhancement bonus and a special ability (such as ghost touch), the higher of the two caster level requirements must be met.

Clearly, if you only have to meet the higher of the two, you by definition need not meet both. :)

Remove ads