• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a familiar use their own HP's instead of 1/2 masters?

arbados

Explorer
Regarding a familiar's HP's it says in the Players Handbook that they receive 1/2 the masters. Let's say that the Wizard took the Improved Familiar Feat and has a Shocker Lizard which grants 2d10 hp's. Lets say for argumants sake they receive from this 12 hp's. The wizard/master has 8 hp's total, which would give the familiar only 4 hp's. Could the familiar in this instance use its own greater hp total (12) in place of 1/2 the masters (4)?

Magic Rub

First Post
"Hit Dice: Treat as the master’s character level (for effects related to Hit Dice). Use the familiar’s normal total if it is higher."

[edit]
"Hit points: Treat as 1/2 the master’s character level or use the familiar’s normal total if it is higher."

But you know that by now:(

me type slow...:D

[edit]

Last edited:

Moonglum

First Post
From T&B
Hit Dice: Treat as the master's level (for effects related to Hit Dice). Use the familiar's normal total if it is higher.

Only for things that require you to input the hit dice total.

From T&B
Hit Points: One-half the master's total or the familiar's total, whichever is higher

Whichever is higher...

Why would you have 8 hp at level 5? That is the requirement for Shocker Lizard. Or were you being hypothetical...? :)

Sigma

First Post
Moonglum said:

Why would you have 8 hp at level 5? That is the requirement for Shocker Lizard. Or were you being hypothetical...? :)

Maybe he just has a 6 Con.

In that case, I'd take the toad instead. ;)

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Moonglum said:
From T&B

Only for things that require you to input the hit dice total.

From T&B

Whichever is higher...

the "whichever is higher" didn't appear until the Improved Familiar feat, when you could get higher HD familiars.

My 7th level wizard had a pseudodragon familiar who's normal hit points were more than 1/2 his total at the time he got the familiar. (Having a 10 con can do that to you.)

arbados

Explorer
Ahhhh. I didn't look in the Tome and Blood book while I posted this. I am just about to play and kind of rushed the question to hopefully get a response before the game. Thanks

arbados

Explorer
One more thing I just thought of. Can you AWAKEN (Druid Spell) a familiar to grant it +2 HD? Obviously then computing additional hp's?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
arbados said:
One more thing I just thought of. Can you AWAKEN (Druid Spell) a familiar to grant it +2 HD? Obviously then computing additional hp's?

No. Familiars are Magical Beasts and Awaken only affects Animals.

kreynolds

First Post
Magic Rub said:
"Hit points: Treat as 1/2 the master’s character level or use the familiar’s normal total if it is higher."

That's not in the PH, which is why I didn't notice it. Good to know though.

Remove ads