Can Dextyr Keep All These Strikers Alive? (DM: JoeNotCharles, Ozymandias79 Judging)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=BTW OCC:] Is anyone keeping track of their hit points? As soon as blade hits me, I'm bloodied. Thank goodness he's the last one. I hope no one else comes over here from the Hanged Man hoping to join at the last minute. [/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=XP, revised]
Ok, I read back over the thread and found out that Blade didn't participate nearly as much as the others. Also, KenHood's right - while Tonk originally came up with Punch Buddies back in the tavern, it was Dextyr who kicked it off this time. So I've revised the XP award:

Minor Quest Completed: Punch Buddies

100 XP split among everyone who became Punch Buddies with at least 3 other people. Tonk and Dextyr get double the normal award, for kicking off the two phases and general awesome RP.

So that's 25 XP each for Tristan and Mikara, and 50 XP each for Dextyr and Tonk.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Tristan]
Can you play Blade while renau1g's away, since you're already running an Avenger and the two of you seemed to be forming sort of a partnership back in the tavern? Thanks.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Tonk]
While you were in the bishop's office, you found a stack of papers sitting on the desk. I'm not sure if you can read, so I've hidden the contents - you can read them if Tonk is literate, or show them to another character (and tell them to read this block) or whatever:

[sblock=Top letter]
Your Grace,

I have finished my divinations about the island you inquired about:

On the first point, I am afraid I could not determine absolutely the reason for its movement. It is known to drift slightly, but this is far outside its normal range. It is possible it is being affected by the abnormally cold currents this year, or it could have been disturbed by the passage of TURTLEDOME! (and I remind you that I was against allowing the creature to enter the area in the first place, due to precisely this sort of environmental concern). However, there is no way to be certain.

On the second point, I can confirm that despite its new latitude the island retains its tropical climate and its beaches have not been "spoiled" in any way.

On the third point, the surrounding water has been affected, but not in the way you suggest. If anything, the waves encroaching on the island will be MORE fierce, and I believe some may swell to a quite prodigious size. As you requested I have done an in-depth divination on the characteristics of the surf in this area, though I admit I am at a loss as to your interest. The results all agree: the waves will behave much as they did in the former location, but their crests will have greater height and will tend to last much longer before "breaking".

On the fourth point, I must recommend against visiting the island in person. Although the natives have never previously been aggressive, it is impossible to say how their temperament may be affected by their dislocation, and the island's new position is much plagued by monstrous sea life. As well, while the reason for its movement remains in question, there is always the chance of some catastrophic magical effect. If you do journey to this area, I entreat you to use the utmost caution and keep your guard up at all times.

I hope you have found my services in this matter useful.

Sincerely,
Allanax, Senior Weather Master
[/sblock]

[sblock=Second letter]
Klogg,

Your turn to handle collections. This one could be tricky. Ever heard of Marglespat Applethorpe? Richest man in Daunton. Died last week. Guess I should say, "Richest man in the Isles," actually - he could buy and sell your friend Swillwort five times over, so don't even start. And he got to be that rich by being an incredible skinflint. Hoarded every last gold piece he ever made, instead of frittering it away on cigars from Mount Celestia, or whatever those awful things were.

Anyway, skinflint. The man was so cheap he left a "do not resurrect" clause in his will, just so he didn't have to pay for it. You probably know all this, it was quite a joke in the halls when we found out about it - you can't take it with you, you know - but I want to make sure you have all the facts. Anyway, he'd rather die than pay for a resurrection. Fine. His choice. But his son, Jaffery, ignores the will and has him raised anyway!

Kudos to the boy, I guess, he could have just let it go and inherited more wealth than even the ferryman ever sees - sorry for the blasphemy but it seemed called for - but he'd rather have dear old dad back again.

Well, deadr old dead thinks this is great - look at all those mistakes, Lauto's sure guiding my pen today! - thinks this is great. His argument - and he said this TO MY FACE, mind you - is that since he didn't authorize the resurrection, he doesn't have to pay for it, and we can just bug off and try to squeeze our money out of Jaffery. To my face.

Useless trying to get money out of Jaffery - he doesn't have any. Lauto knows what he loves Marglespat so much for, since the old man gives him NOTHING. When his dad was dead, of course, he had access to all the old man's funds, which is how he passed all the credit checks, but now that his dad's alive again, he's been retroactively disinherited and can't get at any of that money if he wanted to. Well, "disinherited" is the wrong word - I assume he'll inherit again if Marglespat dies again - but the point is he doesn't get the money until Margletspat's dead, and he's not. Anymore. The will's on file with Blorstrob Eisenfeld & Grimm, you can read it if you want - airtight.

I know what you're going to say, and I've already lit a fire under accounting about this. Won't happen again.

But in the meantime, Marglespat Applethorpe's walking around alive again with an unpaid debt to us. So, the standard deal - advertise for some adventurers, pay them 500 gold for proof of his death. They're not going to get the fees out of him so don't even bother mentioning it. Try not to let it slip how rich he is or they might want more, but if they recognize the name just point out they they can probably keep any money they find in his cottage. Legal salvage and all that.

Oh, right, cottage - they can probably find him in his summer cottage outside the city. Out the East Gate, straight down the East Road for about two hours, then take the little dirt track going north just before East Rock. The cottage is in a clearing about 10 minutes up the path. Can't miss it.

No idea how many guards he's got. He's stinking rich, so he can afford a lot, but he's also incredibly cheap, so he might not have bothered. That's the tricky bit. So try to get somebody competent this time!

-- Zarglezorf
[/sblock]

[sblock=Third letter]
Humblest regards to the most holy priests of Lauto,

My name is Jaffery Applethorpe. Seven days ago Lord Lauto gathered my father into His loving arms, and I promised you I would pay the standard fee to have my father removed from Them. I acted in good faith, but now I am informed that there is a legal impediment to my paying you the money you are owed.

Rest assured that I will get you your money! I am in constant communication with my attornies, the firm of Blorstrob, Eisenfeld and Grimm, and while they haven't yet found a loophole in my fathers will, they assure me it's just a matter of time.

In the meantime, I implore you to let my father's resurrection stand! I know your church has a reputation for repossessing the lives of people unable to pay their bills. I beg you to please let my father live until I can find a way to pay you! I have already lost him once, I couldn't bear to lose him again!

Your humble servant,
- JA
[/sblock]

[sblock=Note attached to third letter]
K -

Just got this letter from JA. Poor kid, my heart bleeds for him, but he needs to learn about the circle of life sooner or later. Reap his father again ASAP. You should have gotten my note about it by now. Get on it! Chop chop!

- Z
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Dextyr and Blade have just finished trading punches and hugs (OOC: doing 4 damage each) when you hear a commotion inside the temple. You peak inside and see a group of acolytes huddled together, gossiping. "...Klogg..." says one. "...disappeared!" says another. "...no, he's back..." says a third. "...no, disappeared!" insists the second.

Excited to finally get on the job, or at least find out what's going on, you abandon your ritual and hurry back to Bishop Klogg's office. The door is still standing open as you left it.

[sblock=OOC]
You have a moment to duck into the room and get anything you may have left there, if you want.
[/sblock]

You hear a fluttering near the ceiling as a tiny red imp flies into view. It squeals in excitement as it sees the door standing open. "Oh, thanks be to Lord Lauto! The Bishop is finally back!" It perches on top of the door and peers inside. "Oh," it squeaks in disappointment. "Gone again."

Then it spots you lurking in the hall. "Are you here to see the Bishop?" it asks. "Did you see where he went?"

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=Tonk's Literacy]Education is important in People's Democratic Collective #1. It just doesn't involve that much reading.

Tonk's a low-proficiency second-language user for Allarian. He can read, but he reads very, very, very s---l---o---w---l---y, and can handle words on about a 3rd to 6th grade level.

So...[/sblock]
"Hello, little red bat-man! I no Bishop!"

Tonk walks back into the Bishop's office.

"See? Is test, like I say. Here is four letter, it tell us what to do."

Tonk picks up four letters and holds them over his head.

"Who read good?"

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"I'll help you, Tonk," Mikara offers to read before the imp can confiscate the letters.

"It appears that we're to dispach some poor miser who's welched on his will, and that we are expected to encounter some resistance (whether legal or physical) from his son.

It also appears that there is an island close by that would make an ideal vacation spot.

I'm not sure if this letter is related, but regardless, I think we ought to keep it in mind.

The miser's name is Marglespat Applethorpe."

Mikara chuckles as she reads the funny sounding name.

"The third letter even tells us how to find his cottage:

'Out the East Gate, straight down the East Road for about two hours, then take the little dirt track going north just before East Rock. The cottage is in a clearing about 10 minutes up the path.'

I suggest, however, that we wait for the bishop's return. If we charge off, he may claim that we are not entitled to the gold because he never actually hired us. My last assignment was under contract, and I suppose this one would be as well. Either that, or he may hire somebody else while we're out, thinking that we lost interest in his absence."

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=XP, revised]
Ok, I read back over the thread and found out that Blade didn't participate nearly as much as the others. Also, KenHood's right - while Tonk originally came up with Punch Buddies back in the tavern, it was Dextyr who kicked it off this time. So I've revised the XP award:

Minor Quest Completed: Punch Buddies

100 XP split among everyone who became Punch Buddies with at least 3 other people. Tonk and Dextyr get double the normal award, for kicking off the two phases and general awesome RP.

So that's 25 XP each for Tristan and Mikara, and 50 XP each for Dextyr and Tonk.
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
Seriously? Dude, that's BS... I was quite involved back in the tavern and was allowing the others to have their time...whatever...
[/sblock]

DMDanW

First Post
Hmmm interesting... Dextyr seems deep in thought, looking at Mikara and Tonk and then glancing over towards where the group of acolytes were talking.

"It appears to me that waiting for the Bishop to return may not work out in our favor" Dextyr replies to Mikara. "If what those acolytes are talking about has any relevance then it would seem that the Bishop has disappeared unexpectedly, and according to the Imp there (Dex gestures towards the creature atop the door) they do not know where he went. Perhaps the 4 letters, although different in subject, are connected. What if the Bishop put out the job offer and then decided to go check out this island. By the sound of it this island could contain hostile natives, or at the very least dangerous creatures."

Dextyr strokes his goatee while seeming deep in thought again.

"Perhaps I should ask some questions? I wonder what this imp knows? This Allanax fellow could tell us more about the island, and Zarglezorf
could be a good source of info regarding the job - perhaps even he could approve us to do it, thereby being a notarized contract and all"
Dextyr rambles off a series of thoughts aloud. He then looks up at the others "What do you think?"

[sblock=OOC]
I think we should look into killing this guy off first. If we can get hired on by this Z guy then we get some money and some experience. If we have to go looking for the Bishop later then so be it - maybe we can get them to hire us to go find him...
[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
Dextyr M’rgan - Male Half-Elf Bard 1
Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 17; Low-light vision
AC:17, Fort:13, Reflex:13, Will:15

Speed:5 (w/ heavy armor)
HP:16/28

Bloodied:14,
Surge Value:7,
Surges Left:10/10
Action Points: 1,

Second Wind: available
Powers
Guiding Strike
Vicious Mockery
Majestic Word (2/2)
Words of Friendship
Shout of Triumph

Eldritch Blast
Stirring Shout
Inspiring Word
Group Diplomacy: All allies within 10 squares of Dextyr gain a +1 bonus to Diplomacy checks.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"You raise a good point.
Go question the devotees.
I'll look for a map.

Find the isle's name,
find a good map to go with,
then find the bishop."

Mikara starts looking around for clues as to the island in question and a map on which she can locate it.

[sblock=Skill Check:] Perception 1d20+10 = 27 [/sblock]

DMDanW

First Post
"Another possibility has occurred to me. What if the Applethorpes have conspired to kidnap or otherwise take out the Bishop? We know that they know that the church has a habit of rebuking the services they provided when they are not paid. We know that Jaffary has pleaded with the church to allow him a grace period to raise the funds to pay for his raised father - going about it the diplomatic way. What if old Applethorpe is not so diplomatic and instead of paying for the fee has decided to instead pay for the removal of the Bishop thereby perhaps not having to give in and pay for something he believes he does not need to pay for?"

Dextyr continues to think for a moment, chewing on his bottom lip as if to squeeze another idea out.

"In any case, I will go and try and dig up some information" and with that proceeds to make his way over to the group of acolytes. As he approaches the group he coughs aloud, apparently clearing his throat and gaining the attention of the group at the same time.

"Excuse my interruption, but I could not but help hear you all speaking of his grace, Bishop Klogg" Dextyr begins.

"I am looking for the good Bishop as well, as he has recently posted an employment opportunity, that I and a few comrades are willing to undertake. If you would be so kind as to point me to where I may be able to find his holiness, or another perhaps who would know of the particulars of the job I would be most grateful."

[sblock=diplomacy skill check]
Roll Lookup 1d20+13 = 14...:eek:
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
OK I must be wearing a big sign that says "Lauto Sucks" or something to that effect cause that diplomacy roll bombed....
At least I got the 1 out of the way...
[/sblock]

Remove ads