Can Dextyr Keep All These Strikers Alive? (DM: JoeNotCharles, Ozymandias79 Judging)

KenHood

First Post
"You have been much too good a person to suffer an afterlife like that" Dextyr calls out to Tonk. "It appears that working for the church has its perks and these priests here were kind enough to retrieve our bodies and return us to the realm of the living."
"Oh! Hello!" says Tonk, waving at Dextyr, "You not dead?! Okay, maybe NOT hell, but is kind of hell, because I kiss by guy. That is much, much gross!"

"Hello again, Tonk, Dextyr. I'm glad that I get to say that in person."
"Hello! You no dead either?! Hey, look, NOBODY dead! Is happy day! Except for part where me get kiss by guy."

Tonk shakes his finger at the acolyte retching in the corner. "Way to ruin happy day, gross guy!"

"Why were those elementals after us, anyway? The rest of the attacks I understand - they were bounty hunters, after the gold on our heads. But elementals? What interest have they in money?"
"Is good question. I think is much more suspicious that all bad guy know where we is. Dextyr, you think maybe you do magic find magic and find if we is under magic spell that let bad guy find us?"

"Since these kind priests grabbed our bodies and returned us to life..."
"Hmmmm."

Tonk thoughtfully strokes his chin.

On the word, "rock," she nods her head toward the glass orb where the elemental stands scratching its head.
"Hmmmm!"

Tonk points at the orb, wagging his finger at it and making a variety of noises as he gets out of bed.

The half-orc staggers. "Whoooooa! I no feel good!"

Tonk again shakes his finger at the retching acolyte. "See what you do?! Is so gross that you kiss me that I get sick! You stay away, gross guy! Tonk no swing that way! Only man I kiss is Papa and Grandpapa, and when I get big, I stop kiss on lip and now kiss on cheek before bedtime or when say hello!"

Tonk toddles over to the orb. "Hmmmm!"

He turns and faces the priest. "Why you watch us? Is normal for church people always to watch when send person on mission? Or maybe is that you already know about bounty before send us on mission?"

"Ooooh!"
Tonk swoons and stumbles against the priest.

As he falls against the priest, Tonk searches the priest's pockets and steals any suspicious objects that he finds. Perception: 1d20+7=24. Thievery: 1d20+9=29 Whoa! Natural '20' on the Thievery roll. Think I'm going to stick with the CoCo roller from now on!

"Sorry! So sorry! Still sick from guy kiss! Yuck!"

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Blade chuckles at the half-orcs antics, but stiocally meditates on the situation at hand, still disappointed by his failure to pass into Maros' realms.

DMDanW

First Post
Odd how the lummox can understand my hints, and our illustrious diplomat is too dense to pick up the clues.

Dextyr is charming and witty, but has never been accused of being the quickest horse on the track.

Although I new exactly where you were going, I deemed Dextyr didn't quite catch that - aftereffects of being dead I guess...

That's role playing baby!

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=DMDanW]I figured as much. You were the one who came up with the idea, so when Dex played dumb, it just begged to be complimented by Mikara's prejudicial arrogance.[/sblock]

DMDanW

First Post
[sblock=So What's Next..?]
OK so I realise that we have pretty much wrapped up "Can Dextyr Keep all these Strikers Alive". All we need now is the final XP and treasure wrap up from Joe.

What I am wondering is what everyone wants to do next?

I for one, would love to continue on with this story, Joe willing of course, and pay the lawyers a visit and go after Mr. Applethorpe for a bit of revenge. If the opportunity is there (Joe has a follow up adventure) Dextyr would be all in for it.
Also I think that we had some really awesome RP this last adventure and am looking forward to more.

From what I have read I think Ren is going to retire Blade (Correct me if I am wrong), but what about everyone else?

Also, Joe were you planning to do a follow-up adventure to this one? I know that I had a blast with this one and you have indroduced some very interesting hooks and NPC's that I would love to explore some more.

Anyway if this is going ot be the end with no follow up, well I had a blast with the adventure Joe, and with adventureing with all of you; Ren, LS, Ken and H.M.G.
Thanks for the fun.

[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=What's Next...?]I'm game for anything, but I would love to get back at the lawyers. If it turns out that the temple of Lauto really did sell us out for 150,000g, I also wouldn't mind going after the temple to get a cut of it ;).[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Sorry for the delay, I was sick in bed yesterday, and spent the last big block of time I had to read through threads and total up XP finishing off my other adventure.
[/sblock]

The priest can't resist a chuckle at Tonk's antics, and reaches a hand out to steady him as he stumbles. Tonk finds it easy to go through his robes as he holds him - he is carrying nothing but a set of prayer beads on a string, an empty pouch with a few grains of dust in the bottom, and a stack of "receipts" similar to the ones he handed to each of you. None of them have names filled in (and they're not signed, unfortunately).

There is a loud, "Harumph,"[/sblock] from the door. The stern, uniformed halfling who you dealt with earlier is standing in the door. "Oh, it'sz ZIS vun," he says disapprovingly, glaring at Tonk. "Vaste uf sze gift, if you aszk me." He stomps over to the elderly priest, hands him a note, and then spins on his heel and marches out the door, nose in the air.

[sblock=OOC]
Feel free to interject and tweek the halfling any way you want to, but I'm moving on.
[/sblock]

The priest reads the note, and frowns. "Well," he says, "I have good news and bad news. The good news is, well, you're a live. And you should stay that way for a while, because we've taken care of all the bounty hunters that are after you. Well, nearly all of them.

As you've probably realized, Jaffery Applethorpe has been spending money like water to arrange your deaths. We can't have that - you were working in Our service when you killed his father, and the people have to know that servants of Lauto are untouchable. So one the orders of the High Priest, we've taken care of the matter. I can guarantee that Mr. Applethorpe will not be making any more trouble. Ever.

As for the money he's already spent, it's taken an almost equal sum for the Temple of Lauto to buy out the various contracts he put out on you - and believe me, there were a LOT of them. We managed to intimidate some of the mercenaries who were lying in wait for you, and persuade many others that they would lose all hope of resurrection if they collected on this particular contract - resurrection is an important consideration to those who live by the sword, of course. Some of the other parties arrayed against you took... special persuasion. Those last,"
he nods at the sphere, where the elemental is slowly crumbling away, "were a circle of dark summoners calling themselves the Lords Arcane, who seem to have turned the hunt for you into a sort of contest. To protect you from them, we needed to erect some potent magic wards. But we managed it. So when you leave here, you should be free from molestation. Mostly."

He pauses and looks embarrased. "Now the bad news. Two pieces here, I'm afraid.

First, there was one party that we were unable to buy off. The contract being handled by the firm of Blorstrob, Eisenfeld & Grimm is still in force, I'm afraid. We tried - Lauto how we tried! - but they're untouchable. They have an unblemished reputation for absolute integrity, and they're completely unwilling to jeopardize that by abandoning a trust. So there's still a chance someone might try to collect on that one. And I think it was a pretty big one, too. But we got rid of all the OTHER ones, and that's good.

Second... well, I'm very sorry about this. But Lauto does not permit us to work for free. The ferryman must have his coin. So I'm afraid we will have to recoup the considerable money we've spent on your behalf - from you. On top of the 500 gp resurrection fee I've already billed you for, I'm afraid you owe us twenty-eight thousand, nine hundred and eighty-four gold.

Each.

You have one week."

The priest bows slightly and leaves, followed by the acolytes. The sphere goes dark.

[sblock=Rewards!]
For each milestone Dextyr kept you alive to reach, you'll gain minor quest XP equal to the highest level encounter you beat. Also, the "double XP" proposal passed during the encounter with the drakes, so all XP awarded after that is doubled.

Since I last awarded XP, you successfully survived the following encounters:

Skill challenge: Chasing the Bandit (L1, complexity 3) = 300 XP
L2 encounter: 2 Hafling Slingers (L1), 2 Human Bandits (L2), 1 Deadfall Trap (L1) = 650 XP
Milestone! L2 minor quest = 125 XP
L1 encounter: Warforged Soldier (L5), 4 Rot Hounds (L1 minion), 2 Fell Taint Lashers (L1) = 500 XP
L2 encounter: Hobgoblin Subcommander (L3), Warhorse (L1), Spitting Drake (L3), Guard Drake (L2), Needlefang Drakes (L2) = 650 XP x2 = 1300 XP
Milestone! L2 minor quest = 125 XP x2 = 250 XP
L4 encounter: Crazed Necromancer (L4), Mad Wraith (L4), Specter (L4), Wraith (L5), 4 Wisp Wraiths (L1) = 825 XP x2 = 1650 XP
Skill challenge: Running Away (L2, complexity 4) = 500 XP x2 = 1000 XP
Milestone! L4 minor quest = 175 XP x2 = 350 XP
L6 encounter: Stone Elemental (L6 solo, half XP for bloodying) = 625 XP x2 = 1250 XP

Since you're all level 1, you get equal time XP: 4 months (July 26-Nov 26) x 83 XP x 5 characters = 1660 XP

Total: 8385 XP (1677 XP each)

No wonder the difficulties seemed kind of wonky. I could have sworn I set it up to go L1, L2, L3, L4, L6, but it actually goes L2, L1, L2, L4, L6. I must have totally miscounted the XP when setting up some of the encounters.

Treasure:
Luckblade +1
Boots of Stealth
Cloak of Distortion
Vanguard Mace +1
60 gp taken from dead hobgoblin
-28984 gp total debt to Temple of Lauto
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]That means we get 516gp each? Booyah! I say we go on the lam from Lauto and keep the dough until they try to fight us. Then we go out in a blaze of glory with the Level 30 magic items we get. Just kidding. I'll take the 516g[/sblock]

Remove ads