• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can I use Dimension Door to get out of a grapple

moritheil

First Post
There may be some issues with whether or not the grappler is "willing to go along" (I know this occurs for teleport, but don't recall the relevant DD text.) If so, you'd still be grappled (though often you can arrange more favorable environs, so it's still worth doing.)

frankthedm

First Post
lukelightning said:
So teleport so the grappler, but not you, is embedded in a solid object!
The spell won't do a lot of damage [1d6 or 2d6 maybe 4d6 if you are +16th level and go straight down.]. i believe in a grapple "touching" for purposes of spells and such is not automatic so the caster does not have to bring along the foe if he does not want to. And few foes would be willing to be affected by spells thier foes are casting.

Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4, Travel 4
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.

If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, you and each creature traveling with you take 1d6 points of damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 100 feet of the intended location.

If there is no free space within 100 feet, you and each creature traveling with you take an additional 2d6 points of damage and are shunted to a free space within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet, you and each creature travelling with you take an additional 4d6 points of damage and the spell simply fails.

moritheil said:
There may be some issues with whether or not the grappler is "willing to go along" (I know this occurs for teleport, but don't recall the relevant DD text.) If so, you'd still be grappled (though often you can arrange more favorable environs, so it's still worth doing.)

I don't think that's relevant. You don't want to take the creature along, so you don't. It only becomes relevant if you want to Dimension Door yourself into lava (you're immune to fire, it isn't) and it doesn't want to go with you. (I think the save is treated as harmless, so it auto-saves unless unconscious, but I'm not 100% sure of that.)

It works, but it's not always easy. The Concentration DC is 24 (20 plus spell level), plus half of any damage it might be inflicting upon you by grappling. Good thing it doesn't have any somatic or material components.

Lodow MoBo

First Post
I use D-Door to get others out of a grapple. There was this one time we faced Minotaur vampires. I had to get the cleric out of the grapple, so I DDoored him out of the grapple and put him right back where he was.

MarkB

Legend
mattcolville said:
In a recent game my 12th level Monk was Entangled by a demon. I tried to DD out of the entangle, but the GM ruled the Entangle would go with me. This offended me, but I could find no support in the rules for either interpretation.
It depends upon whether the entanglement is a spell effect or something physical. If it's physical, you can leave it behind, if it's a spell effect you probably can't.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I don't think that's relevant. You don't want to take the creature along, so you don't. It only becomes relevant if you want to Dimension Door yourself into lava (you're immune to fire, it isn't) and it doesn't want to go with you. (I think the save is treated as harmless, so it auto-saves unless unconscious, but I'm not 100% sure of that.)
There's no save involved - willing characters accompany you if you want them to, unwilling characters don't. The only time a save is involved is if you're trying to bring along an attended object, such as your opponent's nice, shiny sword.

Soel

First Post
What about your takes on the Regroup spell from PH2? One of my players tried to use it to break a grapple on one of his companions, but I felt that it was a little more than I thought what it should be capable of. Still feel that way, but I am interested in seeing other's responses on the matter.

moritheil

First Post
frankthedm said:
The spell won't do a lot of damage [1d6 or 2d6 maybe 4d6 if you are +16th level and go straight down.]. i believe in a grapple "touching" for purposes of spells and such is not automatic so the caster does not have to bring along the foe if he does not want to. And few foes would be willing to be affected by spells thier foes are casting.

Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4, Travel 4
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.

If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, you and each creature traveling with you take 1d6 points of damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 100 feet of the intended location.

If there is no free space within 100 feet, you and each creature traveling with you take an additional 2d6 points of damage and are shunted to a free space within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet, you and each creature travelling with you take an additional 4d6 points of damage and the spell simply fails.

I read that to mean that another creature only has to be touching you and willing to go along in order to teleport with you - not that you have to be willing for it to come along. Supremely confident or unintelligent enemies might be willing.

MarkB

Legend
moritheil said:
I read that to mean that another creature only has to be touching you and willing to go along in order to teleport with you - not that you have to be willing for it to come along. Supremely confident or unintelligent enemies might be willing.
That's incorrect. It says you may bring along additional willing creatures - that puts the choice in the hands of the caster. If he decides not to bring someone along, they stay.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Ridley's Cohort said:
I can imagine monsters who would have the ability to maintain a grapple through a teleportation or other dimensional travelling effect, but that would be exotic even by the standards of D&D.

I was actually working on a re-do of the Reaping Mauler, with an ability like that in mind as the main feature. It needs more work, though. Too broken for 5 levels :)

Remove ads