D&D 5E Can mundane classes have a resource which powers abilities?

GSHamster

Adventurer
Do you think the D&D audience will accept a mundane (non-magical) class which has a resource that powers abilities?

If yes, will the D&D audience accept a resource which is unique to that class?

Resources are things like spell-points, spell slots, psi points, mana, energy/rage in videogames, etc. Abilities often generate or consume the resource, and the ability cannot be used if the resource cost cannot be paid.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Do you think the D&D audience will accept a mundane (non-magical) class which has a resource that powers abilities?

PF has grit for the gunfighter and is soon to have panache for the swashbuckler, and its part of the D&D audience hasn't exploded over it. (They both feel kind of like re-skinned versions of Ki for the monk to me, where the re-skinning has gotten rid of anything that might feel mystical.)

Last edited:

Arduin's

First Post

Resources are things like spell-points, spell slots, psi points, mana, energy/rage in videogames, etc. Abilities often generate or consume the resource, and the ability cannot be used if the resource cost cannot be paid.

The ones that like a video game feel (Red Warrior Needs Food Badly) won't mind. That was the premise for 4E after all. No one I play with likes that for D&D though.

13th Age is doing something similar with Flexible attacks for Fighters, Momentum for Rogues, Ki points for Monks, and Command points for Commanders (Warlords). 13th Age is definitely a contemporary "D&D".

The ones that like a video game feel (Red Warrior Needs Food Badly) won't mind. That was the premise for 4E after all. No one I play with likes that for D&D though.

I'm surprised. It took all of 15 minutes for the first packet of open ketchup to get lobbed across the cafeteria tables!

LostSoul

Adventurer
I wonder if there's any interest in a resource based on positioning.

edit: AD&D Backstab is an example of that. Sneak Attack is less so, but still in the same area.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I wonder if there's any interest in a resource based on positioning.

edit: AD&D Backstab is an example of that. Sneak Attack is less so, but still in the same area.

I wouldn't class that as a resource. It's not something that can be accumulated or spent. It's more a condition that either exists or doesn't exist.

Zardnaar

Legend
I do not care to much myself as long as it doesn't replace or obsolete ye olde mundane fighter. The Pathfinder Gun slinger is in a non core book though which helps.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
In 3.x the Barbarian's Rage ability was a resource. 3.x was a broadly accepted edition by D&D players. [MENTION=6701124]Cadence[/MENTION] has already pointed out the Pathfinder Gunslinger and Swashbuckler. So, yes, I think the D&D audience will accept a mundane class having resources. They already have!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
In 3.x the Barbarian's Rage ability was a resource. 3.x was a broadly accepted edition by D&D players. [MENTION=6701124]Cadence[/MENTION] has already pointed out the Pathfinder Gunslinger and Swashbuckler. So, yes, I think the D&D audience will accept a mundane class having resources. They already have!

None of that is particularly popular. It's fine for an option, or an accessory. But, I don't think they will be adding this to the core book beyond the existing Barbarian rage. And, they already removed it somewhat from the prior Fighter playtests because people didn't much like it.

Remove ads