• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you make sense of my weather chart?

Ferret

Explorer
It seems odd there is no roll for a month to have standard, "Stable" weather. IT always changes. I realise there is a 'move to standard weather' but that's not the same is it?

Also is it culmulative? I would have though that each month there is a good chance to be 'reset'? Or that what the 'move to standard' is for? I'm only asking as it seems possible to get 2-4 bands up, or down...which would be odd.

Arravis

First Post
"Move to Standard" would be a move towards the monthly standard "stable" weather. Statistically, most weather variations should be minor and short lived, with very few drastic variations. And yes, it would be cumulative, but since most rolls will be a roll towards "monthly standard", the majority of the time the weather will be the monthly standard weather.

Arravis

First Post
Of course, all this is within the perspective that in January "stable" weather is damn cold and snowing all the time. If you're defining "stable" as sunny and pleasant, than no... the region this weather chart is for is not sunny and pleasant. Its cold and miserable. Thats the really big advantage of this weather-wheel, that you can customize it to your regional "stable" standards.

Ferret

Explorer
"Move to Standard" would be a move towards the monthly standard "stable" weather. Statistically, most weather variations should be minor and short lived, with very few drastic variations. And yes, it would be cumulative, but since most rolls will be a roll towards "monthly standard", the majority of the time the weather will be the monthly standard weather.

Taking another look it does seem like it would be stabler than I thought, I hadn't really thought about the numbers. But does one months weather carry on?

Arravis

First Post
Yes, so lets say on the 30th of Ches (March), due to some very lucky previous rolls and so on, your temperature was up +3 bands from the monthly standard. On the 30th of March, that would put the temperature at Moderate.

On the following day, the 1st of Tarsakh (April), your starting point weather would be +3 bands from the new April monthly standard. That would put it at Hot. But since it is a new day, you have to roll the new days' weather deviation. Lets go with a statistical average and say you roll a 10, so you would get a "one band towards standard" result. This drops that Hot down to a Moderate temperature.

This system should allows for deviations of unusually drastic weather (in relation to the monthly standard); but it should smoothly transition to the monthly standard after a few days. The big advantage over the other systems I've used is that its a smooth transition, not a leap from unseasonably cold one day, and due to a lucky die roll, unseasonably hot the next.

Now that I think about it...I might lower the band up and band down percentages slightly as well, to further stabilize the system; but of course, you want some instability to keep the drama, etc.

This is exactly the kind of reason why I post here... thanks! :)

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I know I'm going to ask a dumb question, but do you make 3 separate rolls each day for temperature, wind and precipitation?

Arravis

First Post
Yeah... I tried to lessen it, but those seem to be the minimum needed variations for semi-realistic weather. If anyone has another suggestions on this, I'd love to hear it.

Remove ads