• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you move Dancing lights through materials?

Rifter

First Post
Can dancing lights only move through air, or can they also be moved through water? what about Ice? If they can be moved through other substances, can they be moved through solid rock, just have no outward affect?

Also, should destroy water work on ice and snow, or does it just work on liquid water?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I would allow Dancing lights to move through a fluid (gas or liquid) but not a solid. Likewise, I would let destroy water destroy any fluid which is mostly water, but not if it is in solid form.

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
I would allow Dancing lights to move thru any medium as long as it stays within the range of the spell. Of course as a DM I would heavily add bonuses to saving throws if you didn't know the dimensions on the other side of the wall were. Then again I might not:D In the spell description I take it to mean you get a free action to determine speed and general direction "slow and turning to my right".

I don't know destroy water so can only guess. Unless your trying to bring down an avalance; I would say ice and snow would count. But like I said I don't know the spell:eek:

dcollins

Explorer
The key here is the rule on spell "line of effect" (PH p. 150); anything that blocks spell line off effect must prevent control of dancing lights through it.

- Rock clearly blocks line of effect.
- Ice (like a window) is a solid barrier that blocks line of effect.
- Water, according to the underwater rules published in WOTC's online enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/we/we20010713b, p. 5), only blocks line of effect for fire spells (which dancing lights is not).

Therefore: Water, yes. Ice and rock, no.

Remove ads