• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Can you write a higher level spell to scroll than you can cast?

koesherbacon

First Post
I have a Strix Wizard who just reached Level 5. In a previous adventure, I was able to add Enervation to my spellbook, which I'm not high enough level to cast yet.

Can I write the spell to a scroll and cast it that way? Or do I have to be able to cast it in order to write it to a scroll?

Thank you!

delericho

Legend
The Scribe Scroll feat says you can scribe a spell "that you know." If you don't know it, you can't scribe it.

Yes, but in Pathfinder, a Wizard 'knows' a spell if he has it in his spellbook.

The reason a Wizard can't scribe a scroll of a spell higher than he can cast is: "The creator must have prepared the spell to be scribed." If the spell is of a higher level than he can cast, he has no slot in which to prepare it. And thus he cannot scribe it.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Oddly, knowledge of the spell is listed as a "prerequisite" for scribing the scroll, and you can bypass prerequisites by making the required Spellcraft check at a -5 penalty.

It's a silly rule, I'll admit. But it's a rule.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Oddly, knowledge of the spell is listed as a "prerequisite" for scribing the scroll, and you can bypass prerequisites by making the required Spellcraft check at a -5 penalty.

It's a silly rule, I'll admit. But it's a rule.

Except that the rule also states:
"In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites."

So no wands, scrolls, or potions without the spell prerequisite.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads