• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Canada portrayed negatively in games?

Stormborn

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
I live in New Hampshire. A friend was traveling in Texas once and encountered an unusual opinion of New England. Apparently (according to a Texan), everything north of Boston is frozen tundra...

Compared to a Texas summer, it might as well be.

jezter6

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
I live in New Hampshire. A friend was traveling in Texas once and encountered an unusual opinion of New England. Apparently (according to a Texan), everything north of Boston is frozen tundra...

That's because anyone south of New York considers anything north of Mass just another province of canada. I call people from Minnesota Canadians all the time.

I think Yoopers are Canadians as well.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Tetsubo said:
Canada is the country north of Buffalo....

I've been trying to think of Canadian cities in which scenarios are set. IIRC there is an old Call of Cthulhu adventure set in Montreal.

crueldespot

First Post
Fifth Element said:
I can't recall if it was the Daily Show or Colbert, but yes.

It was the Daily Show. Who knew that Liberia and Burma were so enlightened?

FYI the US officially recognizes the country as "Burma" as a sign of support for the democratic opposition. Only supporters of the military dictatorship (plus the uninformed media) call it "Myanmar."

pawsplay

Hero
I can sympathize with the Canadians. I used to live in New Mexico, the US State. I don't know if they still do, but New Mexico Monthly used to have a section, every month, called "Once of our Fifty is Missing," describing such things as people thinking you need a passport to visit New Mexico, that you need to take a boat, that you need to know Spanish, etc. My favorite was the US Army surveyors map that somehow managed to omit New Mexico, distorting the map and passing out slivers of land here and there to make it work.

I was born in Arkansas. I'm pretty tired of marrying your cousins jokes. That is actually, and always has been, untrue of Arkansas. If you want to marry your cousin, you must cross the border, to Texas.

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
pawsplay said:
That is actually, and always has been, untrue of Arkansas. If you want to marry your cousin, you must cross the border, to Texas.

Yup. Texas is for cuzzin-luvin'. Arkansas is for folks what ain't got all their teeth.

:D

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, the only person that I have met that I know came from Arkansas did have all his teeth.

He was also the most boring person I have ever met, he could bore holes in wood with the sound of his voice. He never seemed to be happy, but this monotonous borderline depressed, every single day. I am afraid that he tainted my view of Arkansas forever and a day.

The Auld Grump, a person from Massachusetts originally, now just a plain New Englander.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
TheAuldGrump said:
Hmmm, the only person that I have met that I know came from Arkansas did have all his teeth.

Are you sure they were his teeth? I know that whenever I go through Arkansas, I'm unnerved by the lustful stares of locals focused on my delightful choppers.

:D

Remove ads