Candela Obscura Core Book Available Nov 14

It is weird how no one refers to Scum & Villainy as a Blades in the Dark "rip off". I wonder what the difference here is...

The "Forged in the Dark" wordmark, logo, and legal attribution that Scum & Villainy includes? Then again, as you said, I don't understand how those things work...

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
This has me wondering - how is the Candela Obscura release schedule comparing to Matt Colville's MCDM RPG? Mostly because "available" is a great thing to see, but the last I heard from MCDMRPG was that they were thinking (not designing/establishing) about their most basic of rules mechanisms.

Reynard

Legend
This has me wondering - how is the Candela Obscura release schedule comparing to Matt Colville's MCDM RPG? Mostly because "available" is a great thing to see, but the last I heard from MCDMRPG was that they were thinking (not designing/establishing) about their most basic of rules mechanisms.
MCDMs game KS goes live mid December if I recall. I bet we will get a preview or Kickstart on launch. They have been working away on it, and folks who are MCDM patrons will be able to give more specific info.

I imagine Daggerheart is a more direct competitor to MCDM's game, anyway.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I’m curious 👀 f those who run this setting how difficult it is. Compared to Cthulhu. How fleshed out is the setting etc
It's drastically less fleshed out than CoC...because CoC has had 45 years to flesh out the setting...and it's mostly just the real world plus the Cthulhu Mythos. New Faire, the CO setting, is a secondary world that's new with this game. The Candela quickstart has some setting info, the live play has more, but I'm assuming the bulk will be in the book. Which isn't out yet, so no telling how detailed it is. It seems roughly analogous to CoC in the 1920s...with more overt magic and monsters. But it also draws somewhat on Delta Green by having at least two competing secret societies dedicated to covering up and dealing with the monsters.
This has me wondering - how is the Candela Obscura release schedule comparing to Matt Colville's MCDM RPG?
Candela is a much lighter system and CR has been working on it longer than MCDM has worked on their RPG. About the time CR announced both Candela and Daggerheart were coming out is when MCDM announced when they were starting work on their RPG soon. So CR has several months lead time at least.
Mostly because "available" is a great thing to see, but the last I heard from MCDMRPG was that they were thinking (not designing/establishing) about their most basic of rules mechanisms.
That's not accurate. They have the basic mechanics nailed down, they have monster design down, they have classes built (but they're still in progress), and they know where they want to go. They opened limited public playtesting last month and are planning the Kickstarter for next month. The timeline seems rushed to me, but they're dramatically further along than you think.

darjr

I crit!
Just FYI. If you buy the book from Darrington Press you get the PDF. I’m not sure about from FLGS yet.

Attachments

• IMG_8890.jpeg
    IMG_8890.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Remove ads