Candela Obscura Core Book Available Nov 14

ElliottBalding

Explorer
Does anyone know the dimensions of the book? I know it's smaller than the standard US Letter / 8.5 x 11 dimensions that we see on ttrpg products. I am curious what they went for.

Aldarc

Legend
It is weird how no one refers to Scum & Villainy as a Blades in the Dark "rip off". I wonder what the difference here is...
Nothing weird about it. Scum & Villainy was part of the original Blades in the Dark Kickstarter as a stretch goal, and both were published by Evil Hat Productions with a lot of the same team involved. The S&V author Stras Acimovic has a big credit as the Consulting Designer in BitD, right under lead designer John Harper and beside of developmental editor Sean Nitter. That's probably why no one refers to S&V as a BitD rip-off.

Crusadius

Adventurer
I've placed an order from their AU store - lets see how long it takes to get to me and perhaps I can tell you then. :)
An update.

My order….. of dice has arrived. The order I placed at least one hour after I ordered the book, but was processed first and arrived at the post office 3 hours earlier for sorting. That 3 hours was important because the book only started moving from the post office last night whereas the dice order arrived yesterday. Bah!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
An update.

My order….. of dice has arrived. The order I placed at least one hour after I ordered the book, but was processed first and arrived at the post office 3 hours earlier for sorting. That 3 hours was important because the book only started moving from the post office last night whereas the dice order arrived yesterday. Bah!
Have you been reading the PDF? What do you think?

Tutara

Adventurer
I got my copy yesterday, and am so far glad I ordered it. It’s a pretty book, about twice the size (not page count) of Blades in the Dark but still pretty compact.

I was a bit wary of the system initially, but I think it does enough to differentiate itself from Blades and has some nifty ideas and mechanics. There’s plenty of room for expansion, though I find the pseudo-class system limiting compared to the playbooks of Blades. The investigations included are pretty good, and there are plenty of interesting hooks provided.

There is a setting included, but it’s a little bland and I think I’ll do my own thing when I run it.

All in all, quite pleased with my purchase. Also got a pdf free with the book as noted earlier, which is very handy.

Last edited:

Remove ads