• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Cannons in 4e?

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
cannon rules said:
If a cannon falls on your head you die, no save.
Oh, sorry. That's the lava rules. I'm unaware of any cannon rules.

Suggestion: make the cannon a "power" that can activate when two or more characters cooperate to perform their standard action: fire cannon; maybe it takes a combined four (or six) standard actions to "fire cannon". Make the damage on the high end of the limited use scale appropriate for the PCs' level(s).

N0Man

First Post
I don't think there are any, at least that I've seen. I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly either. I'm not really a simulationist kind of guy, so I'd probably consider the setting, the tier of play, what type of effect I was going for with it, whether the operators are assumed to know how to handle the cannon or if it's something done out of convenience, and what was needed in the story, and how big and advanced is this cannon?

It sounds like you're looking at the improvised actions and damage section of the DMG, so I'd say that puts you on the right track for making something appropriate up.

I'd probably make it something like 3 or 4 standard (or some number) actions to load and fire the cannon each time. Maybe allow up to 2 people to do it twice as fast (so it only takes 1 or 2 rounds, instead of 3 or 4) This could be made kind of dramatic if you have a horde advancing as you try to ready the cannon(s) and forcing them to choose between how they want to spend their time on what tasks.

If you are requiring 2 people to do it, I would probably break the rules on suggested damage and go higher, since afterall it's like improvised damage from TWO players, not just one! I'd probably have a primary target with the heaviest of damage, with splash damage around. I might adjust the damage based on whether the cannon can be fired again, or if it's a one time thing.

I don't know of any cannons, but there are siege weapon rules.

P1. King of the Trollhaunt Warrens has rules for a "+2 Light Ballista", pg 41 of the second booklet.

Loading is a standard action. Aiming the ballista at a new target is a minor action. Firing a ballista is a standard action.
Actions can be split between multiple characters, so the ballista can be loaded and fired in the same round.

The attack is Int vs. AC, and 4d6 is the given damage (Int doesn't add to this). NPCs might recieve a proficiency bonus, and Ballista can be enhanced.

Insight

Adventurer
This isn't the first time I've seen a question like this crop up. Sounds like someone should write a siege weapons article for Dragon.

malraux

First Post
Mostly trying to figure out what kind of damage they should do...5d12? 4d6, I mean, I've really no idea.

I'd go with page 42 damage * 1.5 if it's taking 2 standard actions to fire, with possibly a high crit property.

Edit: actually, I'd do something like this.

Target: One creature.
Damage: page 42 * 1.5 [high crit]
Secondary attack: blast 3 with the targeted creature's square as the origin of the blast, must go away from the cannon.
Damage: page 42 for multiple creature. Possibly giving ongoing damage (save ends).

The secondary attack would represent shrapnel from the ball hitting. Cannons should be nasty.

Last edited:

malraux

First Post
As a specific example:
Level 10 cannon.

r Cannonball!!! * (Recharge with a standard action by adjacent creature)
Standard Action from adjacent creature
Ranged 20/40
Target: one creature
Attack +15 vs AC
Damage 3d8 + 14 (crit 3d8 + 52)
Secondary attack Area Burst 1 with Creature from first attack as center.
Attack +14 vs Fort
1d6 + 6 Thunder and ongoing 5 (save ends)

Last edited:

malraux

First Post
As a specific example:
Level 10 cannon.

r Cannonball!!! * (Recharge with a standard action by adjacent creature)
Standard Action from adjacent creature
Ranged 20/40
Target: one creature
Attack +15 vs AC
Damage 3d8 + 14
Secondary attack Area Burst 1 with Creature from first attack as center.
Attack +14 vs Fort
1d6 + 6 Thunder and ongoing 5 (save ends)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads