Cantrip Auto-Scaling - A 5e Critique

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The reason you've had to repeat yourself, and the reason I brought in non-damaging cantrips, is because your basic premise is flawed. You are insisting that cantrips at high levels are inherently better than 1st or 2nd level spells.

See what I mean about my position being misconstrued. I’ve been adamant that there are particular spells that are better than cantrips. In fact I agree with all of your non-damage spell and cantrip examples. What does any of that have to do with my actual assertion that is limited by the phrase 1st level damage spells. Are those spells you mentioned 1st level damage spells? No. Then what do they have to do with my assertions?

You have yet to actually demonstrate that. Several people, including myself, have shown you why we think that your assumptions are mistaken.

You would be more convincing if you stopped misconstruing my position in order to try to defeat it.

Now, if you want to compare cantrips to weapon attacks, then I might be much better persuaded. One failing I see in 5e is that clerics and druids, by being granted damage dealing cantrips, are no longer really weapon classes. Most cantrips, particularly at high level, well far out damage any weapon damage a cleric or druid can do. So, it means that clerics (outside of maybe war clerics) and certainly Land druids are basically full time casters, which is something that these classes actually weren't in the past. Clerics and druids weren't all that far behind fighters at one time when it came time to smack people about the head and ears with lumpy metal things.

Yep, another issue with scaling cantrips and non scaling weapon attacks is this. At least they attempted to patch that up with melee cantrips.

But now? What's the point of doing a d8+Str (maybe with a couple of extra bits) when my cantrips are doing 3d8 or even 4d8 (or 4d10 with Toll the Dead)? I could seriously see the argument for bumping clerics and druids a bit in melee and dropping direct damage cantrips.

Agreed

But wizards? Naw. Cantrips aren't dealing enough damage to overshadow 1st and certainly not 2nd level spells. If you think that Fire Bolt overshadows Chromatic Orb, well, maybe. But it's certainly not overshadowing Scorching Ray at any caster level.

Scorching day in a level 2 slot actually does less average damage than a 4d10 firebolt.

And there is another issue as well. In the base game (ignoring additional books for the moment), the only direct damage dealing 1st level spells are Magic Missile and Burning Hands and Thunderwave. At 2nd level, you've got Acid Arrow, Flaming Sphere, Scorching Ray and Shatter. That's seven spells out of what, sixty spells? I'm fairly willing to say that dealing direct damage isn't really what 1st and 2nd level spells are for anyway. When 90% of your 1st and 2nd level wizard spells DON'T deal direct damage, I'd hazard a guess to say that utility is far more what these slots are for.

Inflict wounds and guiding bolt. I don’t have the book in front of me to see if that’s all. But I general there are relatively few direct damage spells at any level.

Hussar

Legend
Umm, wizards don't get inflict wounds and guiding bolt.

Still waiting to see the math where you show that high level cantrips consistently out perform 1st and 2nd level direct damage spells.

Since you mentioned it though, what cantrip comes even close to a Guiding Bolt? 4d6 damage +advantage on next attack? Nothing comes even close.

Zardnaar

Legend

Still waiting to see the math where you show that high level cantrips consistently out perform 1st and 2nd level direct damage spells.

Since you mentioned it though, what cantrip comes even close to a Guiding Bolt? 4d6 damage +advantage on next attack? Nothing comes even close.

Guiding bolts not even that good and its a daily. Blow a daily resource on greatsword level damage and the advantage is conditional on the spell connecting.

Hell the Mastermind Rogue gets that built in. At will. Only time we tend to use Guiding Bolt is on undead vulnerable to radiant damage.
My love letter D&D I am tweaking I will be using scaling direct damage at ye olde rates but 5E scaling for other spells (ie cast in a higher slot).

Also prevents massive damage spikes at level 5 and 6 where you can pick up a 8d6 fireball or lignting bolt (or same spell on a CR 2 or 3 NPC). A d6 Fireball/LB scaling up to 10d6 has not been broken for years (it was good in 2E). Hell scaling FB/LB might be less broken than the current version of the spells.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

It's been a long thread but I don't recall any point being made to be wizard specific. I could easily be wrong on that though.

Toll the Dead > Guiding Bolt for a level 17 cleric. Toll the Dead does more damage. Advantage on the next single attack against a target isn't very good later either because most attacks scale through multiple attacks instead of more and more damage on a single attack. The advantage is also only provided on the next attack against the target so you can't even guarantee it help something like the party rogue.

FrogReaver

Guiding bolts not even that good and its a daily. Blow a daily resource on greatsword level damage and the advantage is conditional on the spell connecting.

Hell the Mastermind Rogue gets that built in. At will. Only time we tend to use Guiding Bolt is on undead vulnerable to radiant damage.
My love letter D&D I am tweaking I will be using scaling direct damage at ye olde rates but 5E scaling for other spells (ie cast in a higher slot).

Also prevents massive damage spikes at level 5 and 6 where you can pick up a 8d6 fireball or lignting bolt (or same spell on a CR 2 or 3 NPC). A d6 Fireball/LB scaling up to 10d6 has not been broken for years (it was good in 2E). Hell scaling FB/LB might be less broken than the current version of the spells.

I'm interested in the changes you are looking at making. If you could spell them out here or somewhere I would love to see what they are.

FrogReaver

Ok, but you're wrong.

Magic MIssile, and Chromatic Orb, for instance, are simply more versatile as singular specific abilities, than any cantrip in the game. That is a benefit of those spells, that cantrips don't have. Magic Missile can be used to hit up to 3 targets with a level 1 slot, or can be piled on, as circumstance dictates. Just last month I had a player throw a level 1 Magic Missile becaus there were 3 casters holding concentration, and none of them were likely to die from anything he had left, so making all 3 make saves to keep concentration was the most useful thing to do. Chromatic Orb can do a wide range of damage types, making it extremely useful to have on hand at every level of play.

Finding a few situational ways that a 1st level spell can be better than a cantrip doesn't make it better than a cantrip. It makes it slightly different. That difference is enough to make such spells better in a few circumstances but not generally better. On every enemy that doesn't have a damage resistance you can avoid (that you are not already avoiding with your cantrip) or a damage vulnerability you can exploit (that you aren't already exploiting with your cantrip) then the cantrip is better. When the cantrip is better in a good majority of the circumstances you can forseeable face then it is objectively better even if it isn't better in every circumstance and situation.

But beyond those specific examples, ignoring the versatility of preparing spells, and the versatility of how spells and spell slots interact is simply an incorrect way of discussing the utility of spells. Spells don't exist in a vacuum, therefor discussing them as if they do is incorrect.

Here we go again... I am not talking about the spell itself or the spell slot itself. I am talking about a specific spell cast from a specific spell slot. Trying to talk about different abilities than the ability I'm talking about is the reason this discussion has went on so long.

Part of the power level of any given level 1 spell is that it can be used when it is most useful, while cantrips are very very limited in number, and only the mechanically weakest of them has any versatility within the cantrip itself.

I think there is a valid point somewhere. I don't think you are stating it correctly. I think your compounding a valid point here about situational strength with an invalid point about versatility.

I would restate the valid point I see here as:
1. Cantrips are an unlimited baseline ability.
2. If a specific spell isn't better than a cantrip in any given situation then don't use the spell but use the cantrip
3. In practice all 1st level spells cast from 1st level slots are going to be better than cantrips when you use them as your not going to use them in situations where a cantrip would be better.

Conclusion: Ultimately it doesn't matter if 1st level spells are only situationally better than cantrips because in practice that's all they actually need to be in order to produce better effects than cantrips.

I find this both reasonable and compelling. (Note that the point doesn't rely on other spells or the spell being cast from a different spell slot, ie: the argument isn't about versatility but about situational strength).

If you can't see past comparing magic missile and any direct damage cantrip as if nothing else in the game exists, then you're simply approaching all of this in a irreparably flawed manner.

I guess it would depend on what you mean by comparing them as if nothing else in the game exists. If it's just code for versatility matters in this discussion then that's not flawed because versatility doesn't matter.

This simply makes it seem that you are not engaging genuinely in a discussion, but rather simply using pedantics and petty rhetorical tactics to avoid having an actual discussion while talking down to people who are trying to communicate in good faith.

I think accusing someone of not arguing in good faith is bigger evidence of someone not arguing in good faith. When you have to defend yourself against strawmen for 200ish posts then it gets a little frustrating. Please don't mistake pointed comments due to frustration as not engaging in the discussion.

That's on you. You keep repeating yourself, not because you actually need to, but because you refuse to accept or acknowledge any nuance, and you whenever anyone has an aside in their post, compares one thing to another, or in any other way get's the least bit tangential, you ignore literally the entire rest of their post, to nit pick about the tangent.

I have to repeat myself because what I'm saying constantly gets misconstrued, because people make points I agree with as if I don't, because they claim I said something I didn't and then proceed to knock it down. So no, repeating myself is on them.

You also blatantly ignore points that are brought up several times by several people, until finally responding with things like "ah, yes, thank you for finally saying something relevant. it only took 100 pages for someone to bring this up!", and then proceed to...not even actually address what was brought up.

Prove it. Because this is untrue. When someone says something that is relevant I point it out. Even when they kind of stumble over something relevant as you did in this post I point it out. I have done that over this whole thread. I can't help that 95% of the comments on this thread have had to do with things that weren't relevant to my actual claim. Between strawmen and misconstruing my words and outright putting other claims into my mouth, there hasn't been much relevant to that's been stated.

FrogReaver

Anyways I now have 2 great arguments for why my initial reasoning was incorrect.

Argument #1 against initial position
1. 1st level spells cast from 1st level slots shouldn't be better than what attack based classes can do at will. This means some at will abilities should be stronger than some resource using abilities.

Argument #2 against initial position
2. 1st level spells cast from 1st level slots only need to be situationally better than cantrips because you don't have to use them until they are better than a cantrip. Thus in actual in game effectiveness such a spell is always going to have a greater effect than a cantrip.

I don't see any point in continuing an argument about whether certain points are valid or not especially given we are already starting to be nasty to each other and the purpose of the thread has already been served.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Finding a few situational ways that a 1st level spell can be better than a cantrip doesn't make it better than a cantrip. It makes it slightly different. That difference is enough to make such spells better in a few circumstances but not generally better. On every enemy that doesn't have a damage resistance you can avoid (that you are not already avoiding with your cantrip) or a damage vulnerability you can exploit (that you aren't already exploiting with your cantrip) then the cantrip is better. When the cantrip is better in a good majority of the circumstances you can forseeable face then it is objectively better even if it isn't better in every circumstance and situation.

Here we go again... I am not talking about the spell itself or the spell slot itself. I am talking about a specific spell cast from a specific spell slot. Trying to talk about different abilities than the ability I'm talking about is the reason this discussion has went on so long.

I think there is a valid point somewhere. I don't think you are stating it correctly. I think your compounding a valid point here about situational strength with an invalid point about versatility.

I would restate the valid point I see here as:
1. Cantrips are an unlimited baseline ability.
2. If a specific spell isn't better than a cantrip in any given situation then don't use the spell but use the cantrip
3. In practice all 1st level spells cast from 1st level slots are going to be better than cantrips when you use them as your not going to use them in situations where a cantrip would be better.

Conclusion: Ultimately it doesn't matter if 1st level spells are only situationally better than cantrips because in practice that's all they actually need to be in order to produce better effects than cantrips.

I find this both reasonable and compelling. (Note that the point doesn't rely on other spells or the spell being cast from a different spell slot, ie: the argument isn't about versatility but about situational strength).

I guess it would depend on what you mean by comparing them as if nothing else in the game exists. If it's just code for versatility matters in this discussion then that's not flawed because versatility doesn't matter.

I think accusing someone of not arguing in good faith is bigger evidence of someone not arguing in good faith. When you have to defend yourself against strawmen for 200ish posts then it gets a little frustrating. Please don't mistake pointed comments due to frustration as not engaging in the discussion.

I have to repeat myself because what I'm saying constantly gets misconstrued, because people make points I agree with as if I don't, because they claim I said something I didn't and then proceed to knock it down. So no, repeating myself is on them.

Prove it. Because this is untrue. When someone says something that is relevant I point it out. Even when they kind of stumble over something relevant as you did in this post I point it out. I have done that over this whole thread. I can't help that 95% of the comments on this thread have had to do with things that weren't relevant to my actual claim. Between strawmen and misconstruing my words and outright putting other claims into my mouth, there hasn't been much relevant to that's been stated.

No one has been misconstruing your points. You just claim that every time someone challenges your premises.

No one in this thread owes you the extra work of going back and giving you a play by play to prove what we all know you’ve been doing.

More importantly, versatility does matter. Part of the performance, utility, or power level, of a spell is how versatile it’s usage is. Your claim that this isn’t relevant to a discussion about the relative power level of 1st level spells vs cantrips is patently absurd. It is objectively relevant.

This is true whether we are talking about versatility in terms of the specific spells cast as a level 1 spell, or level 1 spells in level 1 slots in general, because the fact that you have X level 1 spells and Y level slots is part of the power level of those spells-in-their-slots. Magic Missile isn’t the same category of ability as Fire Bolt. Comparing them outside their context as player abilities is a waste of time.

Further, spells aren’t just situationally different, they are also numerically better.

Level 1 Guiding Bolt does more than level 17 [any cantrip]. It also has the benefit of only being used when it’s the best option in that instance, without losing literally anything by not using it. There is no such thing, *in the actual game* as a level 1 spell in a level 1 slot as a distinct feature.

The feature is a level 1 slot, with which any of a number of level 1 spells can be cast. Your position requires that you ignore that, and pretend that “Magic Missile at level 1” exists as an actual player character feature, which is a false premise. That is why versatility is relevant, no matter how hard you want to pretend that it isn’t.

And lastly, even if GB wasn’t ever better than a cantrip, that would only be a reason to view Guiding Bolt as a weak spell, not a valid basis for the position you’ve held in this thread.

You don’t get to just declare what arguments are and aren’t valid. That isn’t how debate works.

FrogReaver

No one has been misconstruing your points. You just claim that every time someone challenges your premises.

No one in this thread owes you the extra work of going back and giving you a play by play to prove what we all know you’ve been doing.

More importantly, versatility does matter. Part of the performance, utility, or power level, of a spell is how versatile it’s usage is. Your claim that this isn’t relevant to a discussion about the relative power level of 1st level spells vs cantrips is patently absurd. It is objectively relevant.

This is true whether we are talking about versatility in terms of the specific spells cast as a level 1 spell, or level 1 spells in level 1 slots in general, because the fact that you have X level 1 spells and Y level slots is part of the power level of those spells-in-their-slots. Magic Missile isn’t the same category of ability as Fire Bolt. Comparing them outside their context as player abilities is a waste of time.

Further, spells aren’t just situationally different, they are also numerically better.

Level 1 Guiding Bolt does more than level 17 [any cantrip]. It also has the benefit of only being used when it’s the best option in that instance, without losing literally anything by not using it. There is no such thing, *in the actual game* as a level 1 spell in a level 1 slot as a distinct feature.

The feature is a level 1 slot, with which any of a number of level 1 spells can be cast. Your position requires that you ignore that, and pretend that “Magic Missile at level 1” exists as an actual player character feature, which is a false premise. That is why versatility is relevant, no matter how hard you want to pretend that it isn’t.

And lastly, even if GB wasn’t ever better than a cantrip, that would only be a reason to view Guiding Bolt as a weak spell, not a valid basis for the position you’ve held in this thread.

You don’t get to just declare what arguments are and aren’t valid. That isn’t how debate works.

Just curious. Why not a single word in all this about the MOST IMPORTANT PART.... you know, the part where I agreed with one of your points?

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm interested in the changes you are looking at making. If you could spell them out here or somewhere I would love to see what they are.

Its basically a variant 5E as it uses 5E rules but rewriting the classes, races, and monsters and bringing back some things from older editions.

1. Fort/Ref/Will is back.
2. Prof bonus a'la 5E but scales like 4E (spreads ACs out a bit more)
3. Microfeats
4. OSR multiclassing
5. OSR xp tables (fixed funky AD&D rates a'la BECMI)
6. All defences scale you get a class based bonus to your fort/ref/will defence. Fighters and Monks have the best saves
7. MR/SR is similar to the D&DM game otherwise functions as 2E (absolute number, d20 roll). Magic can outright fail
8. Damage spells auto scale, Save or suck/die function like 5E (might just use the 5E versions and PF damage ones)
9. xp for gold is back
10. Less HP, damage, and healing all around

Remove ads