D&D 5E Capricious Home Rules and DM Pet Peeves

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
If you have called shots, then I'm ok with partial armor. I personally just don't think they have a place in D&D because they bypass both the AC and hit point mechanics, but if you got rules you are happy with, more power to you.

For the most part, the called shots allow attempting to hit an unarmored location, or cause one of several conditions, incapacitated, blinded, or prone. Things that spells can do.

Targeting a limb is basically 5 AC points higher. So 15 AC without a helmet. You have disadvantage on the attack, although under the right conditions you can cancel that. Then the target usually gets a saving throw, so it's tough to make it work, and if you fail it might provoke an opportunity attack. It's best when you would normally have advantage, and is really only useful if you're well trained (higher level), and particularly if you're a higher level than the target. It works pretty well actually. A few have extra effects that are possible, for example, a sap attempt knocks the creature out on a critical, or if they fail their save by more than 5. If you're wearing a helmet, you have advantage on the saving throw against a sap attempt.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Once upon a time I didn't know any of this stuff.
Then I learned it.
And eventually I realized that, as far as D&D is concerned, I just don't care.

Thus studded leather, assorted varieties of mail, & longswords (wich look just like arming swords!) all happily exist. Right along side fire breathing dragons, Brontosaus, Norse gods, & any # of other things that don't exist or are mis-named here in the real world.

Apparently you don't know Brontosauruses exist again... :)

ccs

41st lv DM
When I DM I have two rules that've stayed constant.

1) No psionics.
Why? Because I just don't like them. They don't interest me at all. Never have. Wich makes it really tough to digest their rules in order to understand what a player with a psionic character is capable of. And if I don't understand that? I can't properly DM it. So no psionics.

2) No Drow.
I like Drow - as NPC antagonists/villains....

Lanliss

Explorer
Currently, no Dragon born, as the players have not reached their area of the world yet. Also, no Nature Clerics, at least not as actual followers of a god. You can still play a Nature cleric as a "Druid".

Things I am thinking of.

1) 1st level characters start with 1 but die, but have health as though they had two, which were max rolls. I hate the low health of low level PCs, too easy to accidentally kill.

Various other changes I have threads about, and have yet to solidify into any usable form.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
1) 1st level characters start with 1 but die, but have health as though they had two, which were max rolls. I hate the low health of low level PCs, too easy to accidentally kill.

I always found the challenge as DM in making it look like an accident.

Celebrim

Legend
Once upon a time I didn't know any of this stuff.
Then I learned it.
And eventually I realized that, as far as D&D is concerned, I just don't care.

Which is fine, and which is why I described this as a peeve rather than any sort of serious advice on how you or anyone else should play their game. I have that sort of advice too, but whether you want to have studded leather in your game or not is something I just don't care about.

However, I do care about believability and coherency and so forth, and if you truly don't care - that is, if you really have no positive preference for studded leather - then whether it goes away in favor of ring armor or something more sensibly constructed or some other more historical sort of armor in the same slot should just cause you - I would think - to shrug and go with it. Or in short, while you don't see the harm in having it (which I understand) there are some people who seem oddly to see harm in leaving it out (which I don't understand).

I have absolutely no understanding of the argument that says, "This fantastic thing is in the game. Therefore it doesn't matter what is in the game." To me that might as well be like saying, "Build the doghouse out of pancakes, because wheels aren't square." One thing doesn't imply the other. It's just nonsense. And I'm inclined to think that anyone who advances that argument hasn't thought it through very well, and doesn't in fact live by its implications. Rather, what they actually believe and live by is that certain things "go together" as part of the trope, and they willingly suspend belief for those things that they see as naturally or logically belonging together - like fire-breathing dragons, dinosaurs, and Thor. At some point, they'd go, "That's too gonzo for me." or have some similar sort of reaction, when their suspension of disbelief got broken.

For me, it's not even merely suspension of disbelief involved, but 9 college hours of medieval history and plenty of time in the library reading about this sort of thing for fun. The real actual motivation is not "realism" as they suppose, but that things that are real - or are inspired by what is real - tend also to be richer and more satisfying than what most people can just make up on their own. The same is true of even of real world myths. There is just more cool cultural baggage that is going to come along with fire-breathing dragons, dinosaurs, and Norse Gods than any skoowzles and flumbungs that you make up. In literature, this technique is called 'allusion'. By grounding my game in things that are real I'm with easy labor dragging a whole world of coolness into the game, just like fire-breathing dragons do. The fact that "studded leather" has kinda taken on a life of its own, becoming a fantastic trope in its own right, is the big reason why I don't care one way or the other if it appears in your game. But by not having it in my game, I'm instead pulling into my game allusions to historical martial arts and culture, that to me are more powerful and interesting than anything that has yet evolved around the idea of "studded leather". You might not know that they are there, but I do - which is why it matters to me.

Lanliss

Explorer
I always found the challenge as DM in making it look like an accident.

Risky words to say to someone you killed... Nah, I am sure it was a total accident. No way it could have been on purpose... ;P

EDIT: I just remembered that tone conveys poorly through text, so I added an innocent smiley to ensure my tone got through.

Last edited:

Azurewraith

Explorer
For me the best way to mask murdering a PC is to hold up your hands(when said PC is on the ropes but its mobs turn) and say :):):):) guys you were supposed to know it dissolves in X solution(something PC's have or is nearby) then kill them.

Remove ads