Captain America: The Winter Soldier (no spoilers in OP; can't promise about the rest of the thread!)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Saw it on Monday night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

One of the things that I found particularly pleasing is that I thought that they had done a good job of the trailers NOT spoiling major plot points. There were several reveals in the movie that I found quite shocking, and I really like what they did with it throughout.

I especially liked the nod towards recognising some of the post-WW2 dubious government practices.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Saw it today. Good flick; I found the first one boring. This one was much better; could have used a couple less fight scenes and a bit more exploration of the issues they touched on.

It totally suffers from the Bane problem in Dark Knight Rises, though. One phone call to a friend could fix a lot of stuff real quick.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Saw it yesterday. GSP sucks as an actor. Everyone laughed in the theater when he spoke.

Entertaining. Fast pace. No dead moment, few scene that do not bring anything to the story or the characters. Solide directing.

Age of Ultron will be very interesting. Especially with the actor playing Cap'n having only one movie left in his contract. He might die there and get replaced by Bucky, a bit similar to what happened in the comics.

horacethegrey

First Post
Frankly speaking, I thought this was the greatest film adaptation of a Marvel property. Better than X-Men First Class and even better than my favorite MCU film, Thor. And it's great to see a film treatment of Captain America that hits all the goalposts, after such stinkers such as the 1940's serial, the 70's TV movies starring Reb Brown, and the godawful 1990's movie (for the record, I liked The First Avenger, but it felt a bit by the numbers despite some moments of brilliance here and there).

As for the far reaching consequences regarding the ending within the MCU, I'm curious to see how it affects Agents of SHIELD. Marvel has really amped up their game, lets see how they follow through.

horacethegrey

First Post
Iron Man 1 and Spider Man 2 (vs. Doc Ock) are the two best Marvel adaptations so far.
I like both. And I give credit to the first Iron Man for starting the whole MCU, but I thought Winter Soldier was a better film. And while Spider-Man 2 is great, The Amazing Spider-Man is a much better film adaptation of Spidey. I'm really forward to ASM 2.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
the spidey remark wasn't that great. The 2nd looks campy, the goblin's makeup looks cheap and there are too many enemies. Hopefully it will kill the franchise and the rights will return to Disney.

horacethegrey

First Post
Suit yourself man. I just feel Marc Webb has done a far better job of capturing Spider-Man on film than Sam Raimi ever did. And no offense to Tobey Maguire, but Andrew Garfield is closer to classic Peter Parker/Spider-Man of the Stan Lee and Steve Ditko stories.

Anyway enough of that, lest we derail the thread even further. The topic is about Captain America! And on that note, I'm just amazed of how they filmed the action here. It felt right, just like how Cap fought in the comics. A human wrecking ball who plows through mooks like it was a career.

Remove ads